Robert Drysdale seminars 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure how many he is doing in Perth as their are a few clubs, but he's dropping by my club, The Arena MMA.
He's very technicially gifted. I am looking forward to it.

Yes, I'm going to his seminar, 23rd Jan. I believe his only Melbourne seminar is at Dominance MMA (where I train).

Should be awesome.

Does it cost to go? And if someone is not a member at Dominance can they get in?

Not for me, but the reason I ask is my brother is interested in MMA.

Hes got a bit of talent & is considering that as a career path.

Does it cost to go? And if someone is not a member at Dominance can they get in?

Not for me, but the reason I ask is my brother is interested in MMA.

Hes got a bit of talent & is considering that as a career path.

I'd think it would be a waste of money to do a seminar like this when you are just ‘interested’ in doing MMA as a career. This will most likely be high level technical jiu jitsu. Even as a blue belt I used to miss a lot when doing seminars as it went over my head. Sure, even a white belt will get something out of it, but for $80 it will be a waste of money considering that $80 is pretty much a month of training and a month of training for a white belt will do a LOT more than a single seminar, no matter how good the trainer is. I think now I’m a purple belt, that seminars like this are truly worthwhile. My advice to your brother is come into dominance and learn the basics first and work your way up, BJJ, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Judo, and conditioning class, tying it all together with MMA class... Dominance has all that available. And yes, non-Dominance people are welcome, but tickets are sold out.

I'd think it would be a waste of money to do a seminar like this when you are just ‘interested’ in doing MMA as a career. This will most likely be high level technical jiu jitsu. Even as a blue belt I used to miss a lot when doing seminars as it went over my head. Sure, even a white belt will get something out of it, but for $80 it will be a waste of money considering that $80 is pretty much a month of training and a month of training for a white belt will do a LOT more than a single seminar, no matter how good the trainer is. I think now I’m a purple belt, that seminars like this are truly worthwhile. My advice to your brother is come into dominance and learn the basics first and work your way up, BJJ, Muay Thai, Wrestling, Judo, and conditioning class, tying it all together with MMA class... Dominance has all that available. And yes, non-Dominance people are welcome, but tickets are sold out.

I see you point he has done very little BJJ training so it might not be suitable, but has competed at a high level in other sports.

He is a black belt in his Judo & competed for Australia at the Olympics in 2008 & has won Pacific Rim & Oceana freestyle wrestling titles so he has had quite a bit of experience in those 2 sports but has not done BJJ or Muay Thai. Currently he also trains boxing to help with his hands & with his cardio so he has a very strong base for fitness but is interested in learning BJJ.

When I say its an "interest" its because his focus is still Judo as he wants to go to London in 2012, he is keen on MMA but I guess for now it would be more the training then competition.

I see you point he has done very little BJJ training so it might not be suitable, but has competed at a high level in other sports.

He is a black belt in his Judo & competed for Australia at the Olympics in 2008 & has won Pacific Rim & Oceana freestyle wrestling titles so he has had quite a bit of experience in those 2 sports but has not done BJJ or Muay Thai. Currently he also trains boxing to help with his hands & with his cardio so he has a very strong base for fitness but is interested in learning BJJ.

When I say its an "interest" its because his focus is still Judo as he wants to go to London in 2012, he is keen on MMA but I guess for now it would be more the training then competition.

How did he go at the Olympics??

How did he go at the Olympics??

He went out first round at the Olympics but that was more of a bonus as he didn't expect to make it 2008 as he was only 18 & he broke his collar bone & missed nationals & they only give one spot to all of Oceana but as he had won every other comp for the past 18 months he was given the spot. His real focus has always been 2012.

He made it to the last 16 at the world champs last year but was knocked out of the comp by the guy who finished second. It was his first move to U90.

Wow, knowing that I’m surprised with he doesn’t train at Dominance. With a year or 2 worth of solid BJJ, he'd be a monster with those credentials. We have many of the Olympic Judo team training at DMMA. Dan Kelly, Maria Pekli, the Iverson brothers, etc.. We also have Talgat Ilyasov, world class freestyle wrestler taking the Wednesday wresting classes. If he wants to do MMA, he really should drop by Dominance and hit the mats for BJJ. I’m sure he’d be up with us blue/purples in no time. Knowing that, it’s possible he could attend the Drysdale seminar and get a bit out of it. It is a gi seminar.

Wow, knowing that I’m surprised with he doesn’t train at Dominance. With a year or 2 worth of solid BJJ, he'd be a monster with those credentials. We have many of the Olympic Judo team training at DMMA. Dan Kelly, Maria Pekli, the Iverson brothers, etc.. We also have Talgat Ilyasov, world class freestyle wrestler taking the Wednesday wresting classes. If he wants to do MMA, he really should drop by Dominance and hit the mats for BJJ. I’m sure he’d be up with us blue/purples in no time. Knowing that, it’s possible he could attend the Drysdale seminar and get a bit out of it. It is a gi seminar.

I know he has trained with Dan & traveled with one or both of the brothers as I always see him tagged in photos with them on Facebook when they are OS for comps.

He had been doing a lot of training with Dan at one point because there isn't a lot of people to train against so I might get him to have a chat to Dan about it.

I know one of the guys in his weight div priscus fogagnolo has had a few MMA fights & lost to Th Huna last year. I think seeing some of his friends & competitors looking into MMA has given him an interest in competing not just as a spectator.

Thanks for the info.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He went out first round at the Olympics but that was more of a bonus as he didn't expect to make it 2008 as he was only 18 & he broke his collar bone & missed nationals & they only give one spot to all of Oceana but as he had won every other comp for the past 18 months he was given the spot. His real focus has always been 2012.

He made it to the last 16 at the world champs last year but was knocked out of the comp by the guy who finished second. It was his first move to U90.

Thats awesome. Must be quite an experience to represent Australia at the olympics. Sounds like all he has to do is expand his game in a few different areas and he should be better prepared for MMA.

Hehe I googled his img, he does come through from time to time I think :D

Drysdale seminar at Academy Mixed Martial Arts in Mirabooka tomorrow.................and I am working:thumbsdown: Shattered!!!!!!!

Nightfury-Is the "C"class shooto held at your club in March being fought in a ring?

Yes, I'm going to his seminar, 23rd Jan. I believe his only Melbourne seminar is at Dominance MMA (where I train).

Should be awesome.

How was it?

My bro was in Japan for training when it was on anyway but I noticed he is already a fan of Dominance on facebook.

How was it?

My bro was in Japan for training when it was on anyway but I noticed he is already a fan of Dominance on facebook.

haha, I'm a on that facebook page too :)

Seminar was really awesome. Worked a lot of passing the hooks guard. Actually worked one of my favourite passes, so the added technical detail Robert could provide was great. We also went through Brabo and Anaconda Chokes from various positions and the finer details, as well as some sneaky chokes he uses. I've been working on a particular sweep and Robert was able to go one on one for a few minutes to improve it and work it in different ways. Seminar ended up going for about 4.5 hours. Extremely valuable.

Not only that Robert also took the no-gi class the night before the Seminar (for free) and we worked back control fundamentals and pretty much everything regarding the Read Naked Choke. Very awesome. He's a top bloke, very approachable. Got a few photo's with him and he rolled with most of us. Tore everyone a new one, even our top black belts had little success. He's quite a big guy, so it added to his dominance. I'd say it would be the best Seminar I've been to.

haha, I'm a on that facebook page too :)

Seminar was really awesome. Worked a lot of passing the hooks guard. Actually worked one of my favourite passes, so the added technical detail Robert could provide was great. We also went through Brabo and Anaconda Chokes from various positions and the finer details, as well as some sneaky chokes he uses. I've been working on a particular sweep and Robert was able to go one on one for a few minutes to improve it and work it in different ways. Seminar ended up going for about 4.5 hours. Extremely valuable.

Not only that Robert also took the no-gi class the night before the Seminar (for free) and we worked back control fundamentals and pretty much everything regarding the Read Naked Choke. Very awesome. He's a top bloke, very approachable. Got a few photo's with him and he rolled with most of us. Tore everyone a new one, even our top black belts had little success. He's quite a big guy, so it added to his dominance. I'd say it would be the best Seminar I've been to.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it was worth it.

:thumbsu:

I attended the seminar at Acadamey of Mixed Martial Arts in mirrabooka and it was very good. Robert was a good speaker and teacher.

We had guys from white to brown level and everyone got something out of it. Focused quite a lot on breaking down someone who is in turtle position.

Well worth the money.

The dude is huge btw

Sounds like what he did with us. I took one thing from him that is now with my A game. You know how lucky you have to be for that to happen from one class. It's like finding a missing chapter from the bible. We have some pretty good level dudes training at our club (for au anyway) and Robert schooled them all. Basically said they felt like whitebelts.

yeah guys at our club can hang with George Sotiropolous, but just got smashed by Drysdale. Helps that he is a big bastard though.

But you know the saying drew, if they are bigger than you, that's your problem!

He was like a big blender tapping out dudes left right and centre.

How good is George BTW. Never seen him before but I was so impressed with his ground game.

Intense. Really Really Really intense. When you roll him, if he can win by killing you, you know he would do it. You can just see it in his eyes. I know it sounds like I'm making it up to make him sound tough, but that's what it's like. And it doesn't matter if you're a whitebelt or a black belt, he's trying to beat you down. I know he got a lot of s**t for that. Some dudes it just pissed them off cos they could hang with him, but when you are the white belt, the word I'd use is scary. He's always had a reputation, but now he's in the UFC it's exacly the style that will take him places.

George is a beast. I have watched him compete at several BJJ tourneys right back from when I was white and he was a brown belt. I still remember our instructor Cam holding on for dear life whilst George stubbonly worked a kimura for 5 minutes straight. Needless to say he's very aggressive and known to just straight up dominate you. Takes a little bit to adjust to that kind of intensity. Most of the black belts at our club have trained through with him at their time with John Will, so they know him pretty well.

Oh and just to keep to the topic, Drysdale would smash George. First he is much bigger, but even then he's on a different level. Drysdale is on the 'Jacare' level of BJJ.

Ironically Joe Daddy was awarded his black belt under Robert Drysdale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back