Roger Federer - retired

Remove this Banner Ad

An icon of the sport. For many the greatest they've seen simply due to his sublime skill and how often he made the difficult, seem effortless.

Will never forget the moment he stamped himself in the tennis world beating Sampras at Wimbledon. The highlights reel from his career would be immense.

He inspired an entire new generation of tennis fans and players. He forged an era of three incredible competitors that pushed each other at their best. Thanks RF.

Role model. Champion. GOAT. The two greatest tennis players of all time retiring in the same year - the sport will never be the same again :heart::goat:
Serena is debatable with Graff in my books number one.
But there is no argument other then popularity to suggest Federer better then Nadal and Dji.

Serena is debatable with Graff in my books number one.
But there is no argument other then popularity to suggest Federer better then Nadal and Dji.
And you have the right to that view like I have the right to my view.

That goes without saying obviously.
Just curious what is your reasoning behind Federer being better then Djokovic and Nadal.
Although Nadal would be my 2nd favourite after Fed I dont think he is better. If I had to have someone play a match for my life Id pick Nadal on clay - been none more dominant on a single surface. But for me Federer is better overall. H2H record swings Nadals way but they played a lot of their matches on clay.

As for Nole who I think is after Fed - Djokovic only started leading the H2H against Fed after Fed turned 36 - so that isnt really a positive for Nole in the GOAT debate. Federer was also the one that beat Djokovic at RG when he was dominating and on a crazy long win streak in 2011. You only have to look to 2019 as well when Federer would have been 37 or 38 if Im correct and still managed to take Djok to a 5th set tiebreaker at Wimby (and had match points). He also beat him at ATP finals that year I believe - so even when Fed was past his prime he still did quite well against Nole.

Fed also has some ridiculous records like 23 straight Grand Slams semi finals. 36 straight quarter finals and I believe made the finals in 18 of 19 grand slams in a row. This was in the mid 2000s and was Federer's peak - who knows how Nole and Rafa would have fared with Fed playing at that level.

They are the three greatest male tennis players I have seen and it is hard to judge who is best because they didnt all play each other at their respective peaks but the best tennis I have seen is Federer - however this debate will never truly be settled imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, Nadal and Djokovic have won more Grand Slams.

But in my opinion, he is the GOAT because of how effortlessly he played (that backhand, phwoar), his all around ability (unlucky to be one of the best clay court players when the undisputed clay GOAT was playing) and how he conducted himself on and off the court. I will miss him and tennis is so much poorer without him in it.

Although Nadal would be my 2nd favourite after Fed I dont think he is better. If I had to have someone play a match for my life Id pick Nadal on clay - been none more dominant on a single surface. But for me Federer is better overall. H2H record swings Nadals way but they played a lot of their matches on clay.

As for Nole who I think is after Fed - Djokovic only started leading the H2H against Fed after Fed turned 36 - so that isnt really a positive for Nole in the GOAT debate. Federer was also the one that beat Djokovic at RG when he was dominating and on a crazy long win streak in 2011. You only have to look to 2019 as well when Federer would have been 37 or 38 if Im correct and still managed to take Djok to a 5th set tiebreaker at Wimby (and had match points). He also beat him at ATP finals that year I believe - so even when Fed was past his prime he still did quite well against Nole.

Fed also has some ridiculous records like 23 straight Grand Slams semi finals. 36 straight quarter finals and I believe made the finals in 18 of 19 grand slams in a row. This was in the mid 2000s and was Federer's peak - who knows how Nole and Rafa would have fared with Fed playing at that level.

They are the three greatest male tennis players I have seen and it is hard to judge who is best because they didnt all play each other at their respective peaks but the best tennis I have seen is Federer - however this debate will never truly be settled imo.
i'll settle it for you. If Nadal and Djokovic played with a one handed backhand they would never ever ever would have beaten Federer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back