Autopsy Rolled over to Freo after leading by 41 at qtr time, what's wrong @ the kennel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Also it’s Bevo’s job to formulate and implement the game plan, and most of us out here aren’t even sure there is a game plan any more. Individual players turn up and do their roles, like Daniels dinky kicks or Dunks tackling, but there’s no coherent overall gameplan.

This is at its most obvious in the forward line, where the ball is a bright light and our forwards are a bunch of moths.

English is a butterfly .

Where was this reported? That is unbelievable.
Pre-season when media was interviewing our lads at UVWO, plenty of questions about GF review, plenty of ''nope, haven't watched it, we're not reviewing it'' Its on record, go back and look for yourself.

Trade Bont, he deserves better team mates. Poor guy.

I'm just a dumb s**t on a forum but here are some moves for the coaches...

1. I'm all in on Naughton as a forward, BUT there are times where we should use his defensive experience. 4 mins to go til half time would have been it. Spare defender to stop the flow.

2. 8 mins to go in the last qtr, we need to win the game but we haven't scored for 40mins, Either Williams or R.Smith goes back to release Dale, get Dale on the outside of all stoppages. He is the only one likely to break some lines and kick nicely inside 50.

3. Darcy off the ground in the last, can't play him, Naughts, JUH, either go small or Cordy forward.

4. Time management before half time. Pretend it's the last qtr. Slow it up, stoppages and hit the boundary

5. Naughton up the ground. Get him into the game. Do this at some stage in the 2nd half

6. Put McLean back in the midfield like the 1st qtr, game was over when this took place in the last 5mins. If he wasn't fit enough he shouldn't have played.

7. Don't f'ing play a zone with 3mins to go, too easy for Freo to find open players.

Last edited:

How are people still blaming Bevo? Yeah a few selections I.e Vandermeer were bad but again our players are mentally weak and s**t themselves when the opposition get a run on it’s not coaching it’s personal we don’t have it
mental weakness is a coaches fault. poor matchday coaching, and selection. bevo needs a good kick up the arse or he needs to go.

Okay again he made one poor selection we don’t have another key defender so why do you keep bringing up Gards. The game plan was working fine until they stopped doing it he can’t do much if they stop doing it
It’s literally his job to make sure they do what he’s asked. To say he can’t do much if his players stop doing what is asked is bizarre. They’re either not listening, don’t understand, are refusing to do what’s been asked or can’t do what’s been asked. None of those reflect well on a coach.

I’ve not seen it reported anywhere, would be interested to see it. But it wouldn’t be surprising, right? We’ve seen ample evidence this year that they haven’t acted on it, with the Sydney and Brisbane away games a month or two back prime examples of this.

Bottom line is that Bevo is done. It’ll be a slow death imo, which is unfortunate, so it’ll be interesting to see how next year plays out. But he’s not winning another flag here, he’s way off the standard required right now.

Pre-season when media was interviewing our lads at UVWO, plenty of questions about GF review, plenty of ''nope, haven't watched it, we're not reviewing it'' Its on record, go back and look for yourself.
I remember Weightman doing a interview and the reports asked him.
have you rewatched the GF his was a No

“I reviewed the game, I watched it once, I pulled everything out of it that I usually do and left it there.

“It hasn’t been shown and hasn’t been looked at since.

“I’d rather look at the possibilities are now into the future.”

90% of the posts are criticising the coach (and there is also plenty of player-blaming to accompany that.) Those 90% of posts are correct in my view.

Bevo shat the bed tonight, as did many of the players. Freo's coaching panel completely outcoached ours tonight in my opinion. I gave kudos to Bevo for the first quarter and I'm now criticising him for the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters. That's a balanced view, as opposed to an uncritical and quite unjustified blind defense of the coach.
The problem is Freo have a coaching panel and we don’t, we just have Bevo.

Other than Bont there is no generational talent in their prime atm.

We have no KPP who are in their prime who could be described as ‘generational talent’. Naughton is a great talent and Darcy and JUH could be in the years to come.

Who else is a once is a generational talent other than Bont ?

We simply do not have the talent some think we have.

Yes we should have done better this year but this idea that we are pissing premierships or even top four finishes up against the wall is just ridiculous.
I agree with you.
Libba is getting on.
Macca has stagnated at best if not become a shell of himself.
Dunks has a crack but he isn't that guy IMO. Great guy to have on your list but isn't top shelf.
Smith well I think the proof is the club doesn't trust him with the keys to midfield so I'll leave it at that.
Naughts has shown signs but he is cursed as our leading goal kicker now so watch out for that next year... But seriously a part of me thinks he should be played down back and have bursts up forward....
Etc.
Etc.
Then the Bont. He is the last man standing... He is the one I'm talking about and the one I'm most angry over. He should be physically sick with what the club is doing to him...

Winning flags etc. I'm not even touching because the club can't address issues around fitness, medicos, development, planning, etc. etc. so why even bother...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were more than just pressure.
They played tempo football when needed and executed going forward efficiently.
We did neither.
You are quite correct. Our game is one dimensional, there are not changes to the game in different stages, e.g. defensive, under pressure, etc totally one dimensional, look at Sydney, geelong, even Richmond, we are poorly coached.

Sums up our year. Demonstrate top 4 talent but Beveridge has turned around from being a above-average to a below-average match day coach.

Defenders were decent to equalise the shots on goal despite more I50's. Our game is so predicated on clearane wins that drawing in that without Libba was bad. We had 2018-9 era Tim English out there, timid and dropping marks. Jamarra and Darcy were a bit nerves and running under the ball to hold their marks, and we probably win if each of them are a year or two older.

Weightman, Vandermeer incredible disappointing. Weightmab has to understand we have 3 big blokes and they have a bunch of athletic forwards and it was his job to crumb and not fly. There was a moment in the 3rd quarter where one of their blokes intercepted marked it and Weightman was half a foot behind jumping for a chest mark that never came rather than puching the ball to the ground to follow up on a crumb. Sums it up.

Vandermeer - what do we say? Thought his role might have been redundant in picking both JJ and McLean but a Bevo favourite. More clangers than kicks. Handballs that were easily smothered, dropped marks and opposition half backs having an influence.

Keath looked fit for the first time all season since 30 seconds before he got injured in thay pre-season game and did a good job. Amiss might have taken those marks and Lobb kicked those goals, but they were from easy kicks inside 50 and both were excellent in those dump kicks or pack situations where you should defend them 70% of the time but we defended them 95% of the time.

McLean was excellent but ran out of puff which is to be expected, it's just a shame we couldn't run another game into him for conditioning purposes.

They made a point to isolate Richards as a pure defender and led to him playing well and Williams wasn't bad but just a bit meh and quiet.

I think we made an error in losing Duryea but not picking another defender, whether it be Khamis, Scott, even Cleary or O'Brien. It meant that we didn't have tactical options to defend a lead, because we picked a back 7 that rotated, but also didn't have anyone in our wing/half forward that could go back in defence. Williams has played the last 2 wins over GWS and Hawks across wing/hf and rotated back when he needed to defend, this game he was just part of the back 7 and we couldn't use his flexibility.

Ah well. Get some new assistants in, try and keep Dunkley, and see what happens next year.

With Naughton, Darcy and JUH forward it’s a disgrace how few marks we got in our forward half, never mind I50.

It’s as if the team don’t train together. Just absolutely no plan as to who leads, who pulls wide, it’s just hit and hope stuff.

Forward line was an absolute disgrace tonight. Naughton was terrible, JUH keeps running under the ball (wtf is wrong with him?!) and Weightman was inconsequential.

It’s a talented list and forward line, but they’re brutally bad when they’re poor and it’s a concern.

He’s the coach not the list manager this isn’t 1980
He drove our premiership building list manager out to Sydney by insisting we draft Billy Gowers when Dalrymple didn’t want to.

If the executive don’t pull their fingers out of their arses, cease hero worshiping and wrest back control we may relive 1982…..

Take out the first quarter of this game, and we've kicked 6 goals to 27 goals in the last 5 quarters of finals football at Optus Oval. I just don't think it should be used for finals. Not up to scratch. :drunk::drunk::drunk:

It really is a a puzzler how Vandermeer kept his spot. His game was entirely unsurprising given the form over the last three weeks, like how he was so dreadful in the game against GWS last week. It's so strange how he stayed in the 22 despite both JJ and McLean coming back in. At least McComb would have given us a bit of utility value.

Tell me a worse loss.
I'm inclined to go with an earlier poster of 1998 prelim. This one..... then 1997.

Wasn't a final but we had a loss to Geelong by 101 points just prior to finals back around 2010ish when we actually led at quarter time. That was the night Tim Lane was commentating and said something along the lines of seeing the end of Geelong being good.

Do yourselves a favour and ignore the presser. I just watched it (against my better judgement) and Beveridge has all the anger and frustration over tonight you would expect if you stubbed a toe in the bathoom.

F*** it, I'm off to bed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back