Roosters home game results allegedly 'fixed'

Remove this Banner Ad

dr nick

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2002
Dee Why, NSW
AFL Club
Sydney
THE Sydney Roosters are bracing for a police investigation into an alleged betting scam surrounding the rugby league club's last home game of the season.

A bitter split has emerged at the eastern suburbs club over the circumstances of the round 26 game between the Roosters and the North Queensland Cowboys at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Bookmakers suspended betting three times before the game after a splurge of bets backed the Cowboys to win by more than 13 points. Extraordinarily, there was little interest in a straight Cowboys win.

The Herald is aware of one punter who outlaid $1500 after hearing, through Roosters associates, that a 13-point-plus loss was ''a sure thing''. He cashed in after the Roosters surrendered a 16-0 half-time lead to lose 32-16.

In the weeks since the September 6 game, players have been pointing fingers at each other and ostracising some teammates.

They are furious that a small group of Roosters ''celebrated'' the loss by visiting a brothel and enjoying the free services of prostitutes.

The player told the Herald he was stunned by claims within the club that results were being manipulated. But on reflection, he noted there was one player ''who would do it'', adding several others were young and impressionable. ''Now, looking back, I can't say that it didn't happen.''

Questions have been raised about several games but it is the circumstances surrounding the final home game that has everyone talking.

On the morning of the match, The Sun-Herald revealed that the nation's biggest sports agency, TAB Sportsbet, had suspended betting because of the weight of money on the Cowboys winning by more than 13 points.

''We've got a lot of worries about the betting activity on this game,'' a TAB spokesman, Glenn Munsie, said at the time.

Sources close to the club claim there has been an arrangement in place for several years involving a Roosters scout who offers to supplement the wages of younger players with bonus payments in order to aid exotic bets.

Under NRL rules it is illegal for players and officials to be involved in betting. It is also incumbent on anyone with information to come forward.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/results-fixed-in-betting-swindle/2009/09/25/1253813612017.html

Huge story, if true criminal charges plus life bans should ensue.

Re: Roosters home game results 'fixed'

goodluck @ the Roosters Brian Smith lol..

No probs. It's all alleged until proven otherwise.

"Roosters player questions teammates' integrity"

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lhqnews/...mates-integrity/2009/09/26/1253813653012.html

BETTING experts and even players have expressed fears about a betting scam within the Sydney Roosters.

"Fittler denies Roosters match fixing"

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,26128974-5003409,00.html

BRAD Fittler has broken his silence on rugby league's alleged betting scandal, slamming accusations of match fixing as "ridiculous'' and "unfounded''.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no it isnt, but regardless its not good for the games image.
Do you place any value on morality?

I do, but its not illegal and to mix this in with the story of match fixing is really poor from smh

The players didnt brag about going to a brothel in the papers the next day..

I know what your saying, but for me, its just another dig at players in the NRL

I do, but its not illegal and to mix this in with the story of match fixing is really poor from smh

not as poor as celebrating in a brothel, one of the er 'ladies' must have given the tele the scoop eh?

If clubs are going to have rubbish who go into whore houses, then they deserve the bad publicity for it, if I owned an NRL club (dreams) any player busted visiting a a brothel, no matter who they were NO MATTER WHO would have their contract torn up on the same day.

The guy who owns the brothel is a massive punter who had connections with Andrew Johns. That's why they are talking about players getting freebies there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back