Game Day Round 1 vs. Sydney, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 15/03

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty confident about this game, as long as we can kick a bit straighter

Sydney are our bunnies, especially at home, and I don't see this going any different

Would love to see AJ (Apathetic Journeyman) out, but I feel like they'll give him an extra week

If rumours are correct, can't wait to see Howe back, he's another level headed and confidence boosting presence out there

How are they our bunnies? We've only won 1 of our last 4 against them.

They haven't really been our bunnies since we won 11 in a row against them from 2006 through to 2012.

Even last year they gave us a little bit of a scare; scored 30-7 in the second quarter and led us by 8 points at half time. We only led by 5 points at the 3/4 time break before a 32-8 last quarter, resulting in a 29 point win.

You are imagining the timing decision was made in the last week or so.
What other logical reason would there be?

Craig Kelly mentioned that the decision was due to the earlier (by 10 minutes) start of the game - but as Jen has pointed out below recent flag unfurlings has happened closer to the first bounce time. Note that these games even had an earlier start time than 7:40 pm.

I'm gonna take a (mostly accurate) stab in the dark here:

• Collingwood marketing person has an idea "OMG, what if we had the flag unfurling at 6.16? Fly is our 6th Premiership coach and it's our 16th Flag!"
  • Everyone else at the club somehow agreed "OMG THAT'S GENIUS, LOCK IT IN!"
  • Backlash ensues
  • Collingwood realises their decision was dumb too late and the AFL couldn't allow such a last minute shift
  • Collingwood replies to complaint emails with "lol blame AFL they won't let us change it"

Basically, while they'll never admit it publicly, this was just a massive f**k up by the club

I'm gonna take a (mostly accurate) stab in the dark here:

• Collingwood marketing person has an idea "OMG, what if we had the flag unfurling at 6.16? Fly is our 6th Premiership coach and it's our 16th Flag!"
  • Everyone else at the club somehow agreed "OMG THAT'S GENIUS, LOCK IT IN!"
  • Backlash ensues
  • Collingwood realises their decision was dumb too late and the AFL couldn't allow such a last minute shift
  • Collingwood replies to complaint emails with "lol blame AFL they won't let us change it"

Basically, while they'll never admit it publicly, this was just a massive f**k up by the club
Admirable numerological imagination, but a far more likely explanation is somebody somewhere decided they wanted the players to do their normal pre-game warmup, so it needed to be finished before the players get on the ground, 50 minutes before the bounce. They worked backwards from there.

Admirable numerological imagination, but a far more likely explanation is somebody somewhere decided they wanted the players to do their normal pre-game warmup, so it needed to be finished before the players get on the ground, 50 minutes before the bounce. They worked backwards from there.
There is nothing before the players come out onto the ground before the bounce. Do it then. Like 20 mins before game.
Like its been done in the past.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is nothing before the players come out onto the ground before the bounce. Do it then. Like 20 mins before game.
Like its been done in the past.
Agree - I was only going with a possible explanation for the ridiculous timing. The ceremony seems to budget for 8 minutes Welcome to Country(!), 10 minute ceremony, 16 minutes to get everyone off the ground. Can only be that they thought they couldn't fit that in closer to game time? It appears to be an error from the club.

Don't think that's right. The AFL cracked down on Cox completing his normal warm up last week.

Given the numerous not so "supporter first" actions from the club over the last 2 seasons I find that possibility difficult to accept.

"6.16" should have really been your first clue that I'm most likely right.

Given the numerous not so "supporter first" actions from the club over the last 2 seasons I find that possibility difficult to accept.

"6.16" should have really been your first clue that I'm most likely right.
Thankfully, you have a proven track record of being mostly wrong. We all remember your panicky season write off of last year.

Agree - I was only going with a possible explanation for the ridiculous timing. The ceremony seems to budget for 8 minutes Welcome to Country(!), 10 minute ceremony, 16 minutes to get everyone off the ground. Can only be that they thought they couldn't fit that in closer to game time? It appears to be an error from the club.
Or possibly could’ve changed tact altogether and unfurl half time with little league finishing earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back