Review Round 23, 2023 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you thinking of the Kick from Duurs that Finlayson got angry about because he lost a one-on-one and wanted it over the back even though there was a Freo player right behind him? Or did Finlayson do it multiple times?
That’s the one.

Wines was strong with overhead marking again which was great to see, marking as good as the brownlow year - will be important in finals.

Liked butters having a go at Farrell.

Finlayson looked way off even though he had ample shots at goal.

Todd played really well. Pity he can’t kick very far. We need a plan come finals for him to get it to someone else and teams will know he can’t kick long now and will look out for it.

Loved Hayes.

Must of watched a different game to others that are giving Jonas votes. Thought he was horrible, particularly in the first quarter.

Boak didn’t give me any confidence he will make a good sub in finals.

Don’t think playing Boak as a sub is a good option.
He’s the sort of player that builds into games, not an impact player.
To me guys like Narkle or a fit Fantasia are better sub type players.
Of course this theory falls to pieces if for example you lose your ruckman or another tall early in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I don’t think so, Farrell needed to quick give, but giving a player a spray isn’t the reason

He is the player who seems to care the most
He’s always impacting the game
He’s a competitive beast

He’s IMO the next best captain
Yep - you preferably want your skipper to regularly be leading by example. Zac is already doing that most weeks, and he's not even the captain yet. So I have no doubt he'll make a fantastic captain.

Don’t think playing Boak as a sub is a good option.
He’s the sort of player that builds into games, not an impact player.
To me guys like Narkle or a fit Fantasia are better sub type players.
Of course this theory falls to pieces if for example you lose your ruckman or another tall early in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think Boak being sub is more a management decision, he’s been pretty banged up this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Boak being sub is more a management decision, he’s been pretty banged up this year.

O
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a management thing - he's literally bottom of the pecking order in the midfield these days.

Butters, Rozee, JHF, Drew and Wines are all ahead of him as on ballers. And he's not a wingman at all - doesn't have a penetrating kick on him, so hes behind Duursma and Bergman in that area as well.

He's shown significant signs of slowing down this year with the odd good cameo here and there. But he's on the decline and most clubs would tap him on the shoulder and say "it's time."

Agree that Wines played another good game, highlighted by his strong marking but also his pressure to close down space and tackle much better. He's also hit Marshall on the lead with well weighted passes the past two weeks. I didn't think Drew was great though. Seemed to trail opponents a long way behind and looked slow covering the ground.

The thing about Wines game is that he seemed to pick up when the midfield was down.

He had impact.

Also, about leadership, we've seen Butters this week had a chat with Farrell and Rozee has had a mention to the captain, Jonas himself, a week or two before.

I think these two are really starting to demand quality and effort on the field and with the Hornet starting to do some damage all over the ground, it is really great to see the young leaders galvanize and be a bit harsh when it is needed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back