Review Round 23, 2023 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Kudo's to the coach that worked out that Hayes had to get his body against Jackson rather than jumping from the side. He was then able to use his reach for the tap.

Hayes had a run where he dominated the tap work. Against a high quality ruck.

Some big holes and this year is a dice roll but surely he is worth working with. Unlock that level constantly by doing a dyl wyl and then having it with that midfield.....
Might that be the midfield coach?

It’s not the 21 so much as the 12 that’s the issue.

The idea that Freo breached the rules 12 times for the whole game - ie once every 10 minutes of game time - is laughable, especially given some of the ridiculously soft free kicks that went the other way.

I've just recovered from spending 20 mins post game trying to wash my eyes out with bleach. Was hoping that would help forget the shitshow we just watched. Terrible, unstructured, circle work. When we allow those sorts of unaccountable, end to end games to unfold it is amazing how inefficient we become. They actually don't suit us despite what the coaches seem to think. We just makes terrible decisions, miss targets and fumble like crazy. Not because of pressure, but because we just aren't good at working our way through those chaotic situations, other than for a couple of our stars who are elite at it.

We won the game which was a great result, but sheesh not pretty is an understatement. I haven't watched a heap of Freo, but the only reason we won was because they were impotent up forward, it wasn't because of our play or our defence, but mainly their own limpness.

Special bake for the umps. I don't usually go at the umps, and I think they rarely actually are that bad, but geez today was a top shelf reaming. Actually hard to believe they could be so one sided. That was a horrendous display. Lucky it had no major impact on the result and percentage wasnt important.

Onto the last game. Fingers 🤞 for one more injury free solid hitout, and hopefully one where we can work ourselves into some good form.

So uh... We're at 469 frees against. 20 ahead of the crows on 449. Another 22 back to Norf on 427.

Boy those SA teams must play some unsociable football!
We've given away an astonishing 132 free kicks more than st Kilda lol.

Fremantle are top of the ladder for Frees For, so it's no surprise we got an ass plowing.
Well clearly Ken's sucking up to and praising of the umps a couple of weeks ago has worked wonders for our free kick differential - NOT 😡

Todd Marshall was intimidated by the Freo full back

I thought a forward should make space and make the defender think about the forward. Today's game was the opposite. Todd would get a little nudge before the centre bounce and then focus on the defender rather than the ball.

I couldn't help but question why or how he could get so distracted rather than taking the lead.
in one passage he pushed the freo defender_towards_the incoming ball then ran away from it. the freo player then swallowed it. utterly bizarre, but Todd Marsha does a lot of that

Butters is a superstar.

JHF looked dominant in patches, faded out of the game

Rozee had a down game, still impactful though. Defensively could do better

Jeremy needs to work on his body language, really really poor the last 6 weeks

DBJ and SPP forward bulls as always ❤️
Jez looks like a man with other things on his mind. Was a catalyst to many wins pre bye but since then looks distracted.

The idea that Freo breached the rules 12 times for the whole game - ie once every 10 minutes of game time - is laughable, especially given some of the ridiculously soft free kicks that went the other way.

Port vs Freo in Perth since last MR win

• R23/23: 12-21 (-9) W
• R16/22: 17-18 (-1) L
• R13/19: 15-32 (-17) L
• R17/18: 14-23 (-9) L
• R13/16: 11-26 (-15) L
• R01/15: 20-27 (-7) L
• RSF/14: 21-18 (+3) W
• R23/14: 14-11 (+3) L
• R22/13: 22-20 (+2) L
• R07/12: 17-26 (-9) L
• R14/10: 18-23 (-5) L
• R19/09: 15-16 (-1) L
• R10/08: 20-18 (+2) W

Just an undisciplined brand of footy spanning 3 different coaches and 15 years, mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rioli is so good one on one, getting r gray type vibes with it. Busts a gut to put on shepherds and bumps to block for teammates. Shows he really wants another medal and be successful at his second club

JHF has insane leg power. The way be broke away from switkowski who is very well capable of having break neck speed taking bounces and chase down tackles and im pretty certain won or participated in afl grand final sprints and jhf even being able to take a bounce infront of him is no small feat at all.

Todd Marshall was intimidated by the Freo full back

I thought a forward should make space and make the defender think about the forward. Today's game was the opposite. Todd would get a little nudge before the centre bounce and then focus on the defender rather than the ball.

I couldn't help but question why or how he could get so distracted rather than taking the lead.
I think he started the game with a similar role to last week with Sam Taylor, he was trying to keep their full back as deep as possible - we then had a complete change in plan in the second quarter when Jonas was off for concussion tests and Burton was injured and we started swapping people around, Lord disappeared, Findlayson goes back and forth to ruck, I think Marshall's trying to do a lot without the usual suspects. I have no doubt he's injured, some here have said it's a knee my guess would be it's his back. He's struggling to get up quickly after a contest, he's trying to drag his defenders down with him (he got pinged for it today). If we had Charlie or Georgiardis I have no doubt he'd be rested.

That game was a snoozefest, it felt and looked like we were there to get the job done, get back on the plane and get out of dodge.

JHF - I can't wait for next year, his glimpses of elite have even Pavlich and Lyon licking their lips in anticipation
Butters - 3 votes
Rozee - did his job but not with the usual flare, same said for Houston and Aliir - they look like they need a week off
Jonas - solid. Thank god he didn't go for early retirement, when he goes and McKensie comes back I hope people can see why he's a good leader, team first.
Bergman obviously in pain with his hand, Burton some sort of knee issue, Marshall some say knee, others think groin I reckon it's his back - whatever it is he needs a rest. I wonder if when he got winded last week he's actually fractured a rib? Findlayson injured according to Pav who was down in the rooms and intimated something was going on.
SPP he's now Mr Reliable, beautiful straight kicking in front of goal, did he hurt his shoulder in the first half?
Boak- where did they have him playing? He looked like he was half back for awhile there.
Farrell and Williams victims of the post contract signing haze - seem to remember Bergman was the same in the week after his announcement.
Rioli - getting better every week but he needs to stop taking a swing at the oppo everytime there's a chance of some action
Lachie Jones - is there anyone more Port Adelaide than Lachie? Tough, fast, strong, no bullsh*t
Lord - disappeared, didn't really see much of him after the first quarter - reckon we're very lucky we've got these games into him, he'll be better for it next year
Hayes - deserves a go next week, great tap work but would love to see a few more solid marks and I know I'm dreaming but if he could get a goal, just one, that'd be great - but he's getting there.
We need Charlie and we need McKensie to beat Brisbane.

Port vs Freo in Perth since last MR win

• R23/23: 12-21 (-9) W
• R16/22: 17-18 (-1) L
• R13/19: 15-32 (-17) L
• R17/18: 14-23 (-9) L
• R13/16: 11-26 (-15) L
• R01/15: 20-27 (-7) L
• RSF/14: 21-18 (+3) W
• R23/14: 14-11 (+3) L
• R22/13: 22-20 (+2) L
• R07/12: 17-26 (-9) L
• R14/10: 18-23 (-5) L
• R19/09: 15-16 (-1) L
• R10/08: 20-18 (+2) W

Just an undisciplined brand of footy spanning 3 different coaches and 15 years, mate.

3 different coaches sounds so weird

Yep. And one bad call by a goal umpire against Adelaide gets him thrown under a bus by McLachlan at a media conference and everyone told he won't umpire again this year. (but they are, apparently gathering around him to give him the support he needs for making a mistake).

Sorry- I got triggered. But fmd with the double standards from AFL House between some teams and others when it comes to umpires.
Extremely poor man management by McLachlan, he immediately succumbed to pressure and publicly humiliated the bloke for a mistake that if it had happened earlier in the game would have almost certainly been glossed over, and then he has an eachway bet to cover his own arse with `the support he needs' bit! :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back