Review Round 23, 2023 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Williams shaking a tackle, getting tripped in the process and handballs away only to be called htb. Meanwhile a freo player dives between Drew's legs, is legally tackled and gets a free. Can we get Gil to sack these blokes too?
Depends. What are your connections at the Adelaide Club and Adelaide Polo Club like?

Good result given the circumstances. Fremantle’s pressure was elite for most of the game & the umps were literally officiating to the crowd noise for the majority of the match.

Good to see Hayes continue on from last week despite carrying a damaged AC joint.

Freo put a lot of work in Houston off the ball resulting in his lowest output for quite some time, possibly opening the door for other teams to implement similar tactics.

Lord was poor, but I thought Marshall & Finny were serviceable throughout. However, you can’t help but think how much our forward line would benefit from a fit & in form Georgiades.

The end looks like it’s coming very quick for Boaky, gee I hope we can pull off a September miracle for him.

So uh... We're at 469 frees against. 20 ahead of the crows on 449. Another 22 back to Norf on 427.

Boy those SA teams must play some unsociable football!
We've given away an astonishing 132 free kicks more than st Kilda lol.

Fremantle are top of the ladder for Frees For, so it's no surprise we got an ass plowing.

Scrappy win but a good win all the same . Freos style was awful chippy chippy kewpies off , their pressure was good and they did catch Rozee and Horne Francis holding the ball a few times .
Basically we had a little too much classs for them . Kudos to Jonas , Wines and Drew , 3 lesser lights that worked hard . Bergman and the Finn played ok , Jones got better after a shaky start as did Farrell . S.P.P was pretty good . MeEntee got better in the 2nd half . Hayes was ok although I’d still prefer Visentini, Hayes still looks like he’s towing his body around and he’d need Dylan Williams fitness advisor to get him up to speed . Allir not quite back to his best where he’s a safe mark . Overall we did well with quite a few players only having fair games

So uh... We're at 469 frees against. 20 ahead of the crows on 449. Another 22 back to Norf on 427.

Boy those SA teams must play some unsociable football!
We've given away an astonishing 132 free kicks more than st Kilda lol.

Fremantle are top of the ladder for Frees For, so it's no surprise we got an ass plowing.
Fair dinkum 😖

Hinkley in his presser said twice that next week might be our last home game of the season.

I do not think he understands how finals work...we lose the QF, we play the semi at home. We win the QF, we play the prelim at home. Guaranteed there will be another home game!

Congrats on the win all you needed was the 4 points mission accomplished.
We lost to brissy a couple of weeks back by 3 points. I don't think they looked any better than u guys did today. Top 4 sides are even anyone of the 4 can win it
Wasn't expecting an high pressure match but not a bad thing leading into finals. It's an wide open season but it looks certain that we play Brissy at the Gabba in week 1 which will be mission impossible.

Kens been paid no matter what - so speak up Kenny about the officials (they're not umpiring ) Double the frees to Free "o".
But seriously it's a blight on the game.
JHF does push it a bit to far at times, but I'm amazed he still has a head as it nearly gets ripped off far too often - generally getting a Holding TB decision against him.?
Still we won and dare I say it - our captain showed some of his old form and I'm glad he was pissed when he got dragged.
Ollie ok.
Durs - you better buckup and do something.
Hayes is a ruckman.
Tod created a few.
Lord needs to be persisted with.
We were too good but it's gotta be hard when every time the oppo scores you know they'll get a few quick free's to see if the can come back- well that's how it seems -week after week.
Oh yeah - Butters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hinkley in his presser said twice that next week might be our last home game of the season.

I do not think he understands how finals work...we lose the QF, we play the semi at home. We win the QF, we play the prelim at home. Guaranteed there will be another home game!
Its taken us alright i reckon

Williams shaking a tackle, getting tripped in the process and handballs away only to be called htb. Meanwhile a freo player dives between Drew's legs, is legally tackled and gets a free. Can we get Gil to sack these blokes too?

That was bad, but not as bad as SPP getting called HTB with no prior opportunity and having the ball held to his stomach by two Freo players while he laid on his back with his arms in air, early showing he doesn't have possession of it.

Kudo's to the coach that worked out that Hayes had to get his body against Jackson rather than jumping from the side. He was then able to use his reach for the tap.

Hayes had a run where he dominated the tap work. Against a high quality ruck.

Some big holes and this year is a dice roll but surely he is worth working with. Unlock that level constantly by doing a dyl wyl and then having it with that midfield.....

Todd Marshall was intimidated by the Freo full back

I thought a forward should make space and make the defender think about the forward. Today's game was the opposite. Todd would get a little nudge before the centre bounce and then focus on the defender rather than the ball.

I couldn't help but question why or how he could get so distracted rather than taking the lead.

Wonder if Marshall is carrying a leg injury because his set shot kicking is terrible. Or maybe too many concussions has upset his balance.

he was moving well but that doesn't mean he hasn't had a jab to do so

Felt like this iteration of Freo was a time capsule of Port in 2018. Such a dour gameplan with literally no attacking flare whatsoever. Chip, chip here and a chip, chip there, then a turnover, apply some pressure and rinse repeat.

It is impossible in that context then to evaluate the performance simply because there is not a single team in the league in the top 8 who have a similar game style - and hence finals are going to be a completely different kettle of fish.

What we can take away from the game are 2 things stylistically - the first being that when the pressure was on in that final quarter, the team stepped up and shut the game down. The second was that this team was able to play tempo football for a few periods during the game, which may be needed in the finals to stem momentum - especially on the road.

Individually speaking it was great to see Hayes hold his own and for large periods of the game, beat Jackson in the ruck contests. This was his best game from a tap work perspective in his career imo. Rozee, Butters and JHF had great games, and it is really good to see Ollie finding some form at the right time of the year. Also got 6 goals from small forwards (2 to SPP, 2 to DBJ, 1 to McEntee and 1 to Rioli) which is encouraging. Will need a similar return at the bare minimum in September.

What I didn't like was Finlayson's tendency to drift out the back as opposed to leading up to the footy. It is a soft way to play footy and it won't hold up in finals. Need to stick tackles as well - too often Freo were able to get the ball out today, but I wouldn't suggest that has been a trend over the course of the season.

That was bad, but not as bad as SPP getting called HTB with no prior opportunity and having the ball held to his stomach by two Freo players while he laid on his back with his arms in air, early showing he doesn't have possession of it.

Emmett scored a couple of rippers, running into Williams and diving into Drew's legs.

Emmett scored a couple of rippers, running into Williams and diving into Drew's legs.

Yep. And one bad call by a goal umpire against Adelaide gets him thrown under a bus by McLachlan at a media conference and everyone told he won't umpire again this year. (but they are, apparently gathering around him to give him the support he needs for making a mistake).

Sorry- I got triggered. But fmd with the double standards from AFL House between some teams and others when it comes to umpires.
After seeing the reaction from the Adelaide media I thought he had murdered some one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back