Game Day Round 3 vs. Brisbane, Gabba, 7:30pm Thurs 28/03

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spot on bro, we used to have an extra around the contest. Teams have taken that away and added an extra mid around the contests themselves. This will be a big test for the coaches because unless we fix this, the season could get ugly
They’re also putting numbers in areas of the ground they know we use when there’s a slow play. That long to the point of the square ball worked so well because no one was doing it. Clubs now know that once we stall off half back we aren’t changing angles to shift the defence and we’re going to that spot on the ground more often than not.

There was an interesting chat earlier re Naicos. For me it’s clear that individually he’s a better footballer through the midfield to argue otherwise is mad because of the impact it allows him to have forward of centre. The thing is that isn’t necessarily best for the team at the moment. The pressure numbers might look ok, but with both he and JDG in their our tackling efficiency is absolutely down and we’re now too proactive. I think that switch to HB will give us a harder edge around the contest making our transition defence harder to breakdown and give us more options moving the ball out of defence.

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s a Reid or Beams or even Brown sitting in the twos at the moment…

The broader issue is that our problems aren’t personnel related. The three teams to beat us have set up really well both inside and outside the contest. Swapping Steele for Allan or Markov for Noble or Mitchell for Sullivan isn’t going to fix that.
People pop on these rose tinged glasses, and suddenly a Sullivan is worth an in form Mitchell, a developing Steenes becomes our big white forward hope before kicking a goal, McCrae a midfielder to match with Brisbane's best, while Harrison's solitary VFL goal jumps to several off the bench when subbed at AFL.

While there may be one who'll make the jump, success will elude most, and while wholesale changes may vindicate the naysayers, the reality of game day performance is more likely to deliver the dreamer a wake up call than a revelation.

Nevertheless, there have to be changes, and we must hope for the best!

People pop on these rose tinged glasses, and suddenly a Sullivan is worth an in form Mitchell, a developing Steenes becomes our big white forward hope before kicking a goal, McCrae a midfielder to match with Brisbane's best, while Harrison's solitary VFL goal jumps to several off the bench when subbed at AFL.

While there may be one who'll make the jump, success will elude most, and while wholesale changes may vindicate the naysayers, the reality of game day performance is more likely to deliver the dreamer a wake up call than a revelation.

Bit rough on Macrae

What more are you expecting him to do given his treatment by coaches/match committee?

• Last game against Essendon last year he was the sub and blitzed when he came on laying 9 tackles in a quarter and a bit
  • Killed it all pre-season
  • Was one of our best in both practice matches
  • Came on very late in the third against Sydney when the game was already over and immediately started winning the ball
  • Came on very late against the Saints when the game was already over and immediately started winning the ball, having a hand in much of our turnaround

Like...at what point will the coaches actually give this kid a f**king chance to see what he can do at Senior Level?

Bit rough on Macrae

What more are you expecting him to do given his treatment by coaches/match committee?

• Last game against Essendon last year he was the sub and blitzed when he came on laying 9 tackles in a quarter and a bit
  • Came on very late in the third against Sydney when the game was already over and immediately started winning the ball
  • Came on very late against the Saints when the game was already over and immediately started winning the ball, having a hand in much of our turnaround

Like...at what point will the coaches actually give this kid a f**king chance to see what he can do at Senior Level?
It might be that the club feels he won't be able to sustain the same intensity if he played a full game. IDK, just shooting the breeze

It feels a bit of a sugar hit to me which I think is the appeal.

Setting aside our finals run I’ve found the last 10 or so matches from us a real grind to watch. We play in fits and spurts trying to get 4 goals up and then ice the game it’s taxing for both player and supporter alike. Gone are the high octane fun spectacles of early to mid last year. There’s two ways you can make Collingwood fun again win or inject some youth into the mix. Right now it’s hard to see our next win bar perhaps bottom 4 clubs so people are gravitating toward the youth path.

I’d prefer we rejig how we play to make it a little less taxing on player and fan alike. Smarter footy brains than mine can figure out what that looks like, but to me it’s preferable to a concerted youth push. I like how GWS and Port play most at the moment, but I think we need to be more dynamic through the midfield to play that way. The way Kelly/ Callaghan/ Coniglio/ Butters/ JHF/ Rozee move at the contest is great to watch all fast feet, hips and hands. To match that means more HH and Macrae over time*. Both scenarios (rejigging the game plan and rejuvenating the best 23) will probably see us taking a step or two back to move forward which the club are probably loathe to do as the reigning premier.

Unless the current status quo is broken the powers that be will stay the course until the bye, IMO.

*I fear that wasting Macrae in the sub role the past fortnight has blown his chance early season. I don’t yet think he’s a straight up AFL footballer and we missed the window where we could get AFL footy out of him because he was ballin through the preseason now after 60 minutes of footy (above VFL practice match standard) in about a month who knows. He’ll probably need time at VFL level to regain touch. Being the coach he is Fly probably won’t make that call til post bye so the first quarter of his season is in trouble now.

It feels a bit of a sugar hit to me which I think is the appeal.

Setting aside our finals run I’ve found the last 10 or so matches from us a real grind to watch. We play in fits and spurts trying to get 4 goals up and then ice the game it’s taxing for both player and supporter alike. Gone are the high octane fun spectacles of early to mid last year. There’s two ways you can make Collingwood fun again win or inject some youth into the mix. Right now it’s hard to see our next win bar perhaps bottom 4 clubs so people are gravitating toward the youth path.

I’d prefer we rejig how we play to make it a little less taxing on player and fan alike. Smarter footy brains than mine can figure out what that looks like, but to me it’s preferable to a concerted youth push. I like how GWS and Port play most at the moment, but I think we need to be more dynamic through the midfield to play that way. The way Kelly/ Callaghan/ Coniglio/ Butters/ JHF/ Rozee move at the contest is great to watch all fast feet, hips and hands. To match that means more HH and Macrae over time*. Both scenarios (rejigging the game plan and rejuvenating the best 23) will probably see us taking a step or two back to move forward which the club are probably loathe to do as the reigning premier.

Unless the current status quo is broken the powers that be will stay the course until the bye, IMO.

*I fear that wasting Macrae in the sub role the past fortnight has blown his chance early season. I don’t yet think he’s a straight up AFL footballer and we missed the window where we could get AFL footy out of him because he was ballin through the preseason now after 60 minutes of footy (above VFL practice match standard) in about a month who knows. He’ll probably need time at VFL level to regain touch. Being the coach he is Fly probably won’t make that call til post bye so the first quarter of his season is in trouble now.

Fin will play a full afl game tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fin will play a full afl game tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I get that, but I’ll frankly be shocked if a young fringe player who was the hot hand a month ago and has played two consecutive matches as sub after missing the week before that has any meaningful impact whatsoever. It’ll likely be the same v Hawthorn leading to him being dropped v Port unless he dominates at VFL level that bye weekend (if we even have a game…).

I get that, but I’ll frankly be shocked if a young fringe player who was the hot hand a month ago and has played two consecutive matches as sub after missing the week before that has any meaningful impact whatsoever. It’ll likely be the same v Hawthorn leading to him being dropped v Port unless he dominates at VFL level that bye weekend (if we even have a game…).
Lets see how he goes. He may struggle. He may do well, we can only hope he goes well and wish him the best. We'll find out soon enough. But either way, against a good lions midfield, it'll be a good test to where he is at. He'd probably do better v the younger hawks side, but you never know until you test yourself against the best.

Let’s see how he goes. He may struggle. He may do well, we can only hope he goes well and wish him the best. We'll find out soon enough. But either way, against a good lions midfield, it'll be a good test to where he is at. He'd probably do better v the younger hawks side, but you never know until you test yourself against the best.
I think hope is a losers mentality myself. Macrae was in form and there was no reason to hope he would have had ann impact v Sydney and St Kilda had he not been sub. Good performances in those matches help him build into the season and establish himself in the 23. Now though he probably should be making way for Sullivan, but as you said he’ll be best 23. Either way the MC dropped the ball on him which Fly acknowledged.

I think hope is a losers mentality myself. Macrae was in form and there was no reason to hope he would have had ann impact v Sydney and St Kilda had he not been sub. Good performances in those matches help him build into the season and establish himself in the 23. Now though he probably should be making way for Sullivan, but as you said he’ll be best 23. Either way the MC dropped the ball on him which Fly acknowledged.
He def should have played in opening round and the games that followed, and everyone was surprised when he didn't. Then became the sub, which was silly as he was not sub material and should have started on the ground. That was clearly a mistep by the coaches, which I think they have acknowledged was the wrong call. Lets see if he can regain that form he had in the pre-season with a full game. They clearly view him as wanting to be in the 23.. some games they went with experience, which clearly is not working out. But its time. Its time to play him on the ground and hopefully he gets going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He def should have played in opening round and the games that followed, and everyone was surprised when he didn't. Then became the sub, which was silly as he was not sub material and should have started on the ground. That was clearly a mistep by the coaches, which I think they have acknowledged was the wrong call. Lets see if he can regain that form he had in the pre-season with a full game. They clearly view him as wanting to be in the 23.. some games they went with experience, which clearly is not working out. But its time. Its time to play him on the ground and hopefully he gets going.
I think they made the correct call in Rd 0 when both Mitchell and Pendles were declared fit. There just wasn’t room. The past fortnight were opportunities for the MC to learn.

Bit rough on Macrae

I think you missed my point. My post was about managing expectations rather than slagging off players.

Licca finished up in 07 but it’s a good point still. Tarks, Fraser, O’Bree and Medhurst were all walk up starters in round 1 who lost their places in the team that year. (Jack Anthony as well although he wasn’t really a veteran).
Yes O’Bree was the player I couldn’t remember. Thanks.

Macrae is not going to get dropped because the club made a mistake not giving him more game time in the first place. Nor is he going to get dropped for Sullivan after one just VFL game. That’s just nonsense.

Make your ACLs less prone to tearing than Tom Doedee's are?
Heard this morning Doedee had torn his ACL (same knee as last years acl ) at Lions training last night, he was to return against us Thursday night.
Weren’t we interested in him last year before Lions signed him ?

Heard this morning Doedee had torn his ACL (same knee as last years acl ) at Lions training last night, he was to return against us Thursday night.
Weren’t we interested in him last year before Lions signed him ?
partial tear they say.
Yeah, we went at him hard, it was us or bris when he was weighing up his FA status.

partial tear they say.
Yeah, we went at him hard, it was us or bris when he was weighing up his FA status.

Partial tear still requires a full reconstruction though.

Been saying it for years. Where did hope ever get anyone?

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back