Preview Round 4: Hawks v Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This weeks selection is going to be really interesting, I'd say 90% of posts I am seeing are calling for the TOB to go out, I'd be perplexed if he stays. I can wear Langers getting another game, but I can't see how both he and TOB stay in the side.

His best game was that Melbourne game, a 2 goal 13 possession and 10 mark performance, that is what we have to hang out hat on for near on 6 years of development. We can't keep playing a bloke who just takes an opponent, he is almost non-existent for the large majority of his career, he average 8.5 touches a game through out his career and only 3 marks, for a key back/forward that is horrendous. You just can't keep handing games to him for the sake of it, his 2017 was pretty average and in 2018 he looks to have regressed and regressed substantially.

AFL footy doesn't allow you to have passengers and Timmy is the epitome of a passenger, borderline ghostly when things are not going our way and just visible when we are rolling. He had a full swing at the stumps last year and didn't deliver, lets see how much more of a chance this guy can get before we eventually move on.
I don't think you are wrong at all with regard to TOB, I just think when the replacements are ready they will force him out, think Cegs when ready if they see a need to go with a forward ruck or if Mitch-Lewis keeps progressing OR when we land a BIG FISH next year. As frustrating that it is he must feel like a dead man walking at time but geez he has had plenty of time and chances to prove the doubters wrong.

Not Knowing the fitness and availability of Schoenmakers, Burgoyne and possible question marks over Burton's ankle as well as Bruest head. I think that selection might just be a simple as TOB out, with Sicily In.
No amount of venting on here has ever seen a senior player such as Langford come in for one week and dropped the next, same said for mass inclusion of young / inexperienced players.

Out, TOB

In, Sicily

His best game was that Melbourne game, a 2 goal 13 possession and 10 mark performance, that is what we have to hang out hat on for near on 6 years of development. We can't keep playing a bloke who just takes an opponent, he is almost non-existent for the large majority of his career, he average 8.5 touches a game through out his career and only 3 marks, for a key back/forward that is horrendous. You just can't keep handing games to him for the sake of it, his 2017 was pretty average and in 2018 he looks to have regressed and regressed substantially.

AFL footy doesn't allow you to have passengers and Timmy is the epitome of a passenger, borderline ghostly when things are not going our way and just visible when we are rolling. He had a full swing at the stumps last year and didn't deliver, lets see how much more of a chance this guy can get before we eventually move on.
those 10 marks included 5 contested and he was a big part of the win that game

he hasn't shown much of that since and I'm not saying he will do it again next week but I'd rather have him in our forward line than Langers (rather Schoey than both at the moment)

B: Hardwick Frawley Duryea
HB: Stratton Brand Sicily
C: Smith Sheils Glass
HF: Rioli Gunston Burton
F: Breust Roughead Puopolo
Fol: McEvoy Mitchell O'Meara
Int: Impey Howe Henderson Morrison

Out-
Frawley - a liability now. disposal is below standard, only uses one hand to punch. out bodied too easily. Brand ahead of him
Duryea - how many mistakes can one player make in one game. 3 weeks in a row. costing goals. DOES MY HEAD IN
O'Brien- I like him, just needs some touch and come back in a few week as a FORWARD!!

In-
Sicily
Cousins
Glass

What should happen

In: Sicily, Glass, Cousins
Out: TOB (NEVER AGAIN), Duryea (NEVER AGAIN), Langford

What will happen

In: Sicily
Out: Duryea or Brand

Hopefully we see Worpel in the next few weeks as well. Glass, Cousins, Morrison and Worpel all should play 10+ games this season... stop picking players like Duryea, Langford, O'Brien, Shoenmakers

I don't think you are wrong at all with regard to TOB, I just think when the replacements are ready they will force him out, think Cegs when ready if they see a need to go with a forward ruck or if Mitch-Lewis keeps progressing OR when we land a BIG FISH next year. As frustrating that it is he must feel like a dead man walking at time but geez he has had plenty of time and chances to prove the doubters wrong.

I look forward to seeing more of Mitch, will have to give him a free gym membership for next pre season lol.. Ripper kid, looks the part.

those 10 marks included 5 contested and he was a big part of the win that game

he hasn't shown much of that since and I'm not saying he will do it again next week but I'd rather have him in our forward line than Langers (rather Schoey than both at the moment)

I was singing his praises after that game to mate, I remember it vividly but if he doesn't back it up and he hasn't at all, we need to accept its likely another example of his "flash in the pan" talent and lack of any genuine longevity to add value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was singing his praises after that game to mate, I remember it vividly but if he doesn't back it up and he hasn't at all, we need to accept its likely another example of his "flash in the pan" talent and lack of any genuine longevity to add value.
yeah I'm not saying he'll make it just who I'd prefer to see playing forward as a third tall out of Langers and Timmy

He played his best footy yesterday late when Burton went forward and he was released to roam up the ground, that is the kind of role he is suited for, it plays to his strengths, whether he's given a shot at that or not this week we find out Sunday

The problem with O'Brien, outside what you have rightly pointed out, is he is still tiny for a tall forward. He has not put on any bulk, and gets easily pushed out of contests too regularly. If he has a chance to run and jump at contests he's a chance (normally, to gets his hands too it, but all to regularly drops said chance), but chances to have free runs at the ball are becoming less and less with stacked backlines.

He looked promising at times last year, we were hoping the penny had dropped. But just seems the same kid he did 6yrs ago.
I feel like the idea is for TOB to play more of a Gibson type role. If it works it will pay dividends. TOB, Sicily and Burton are good readers of the ball in the air and all great kicks.

So if Mitchell Lewis plays, should the Hawks give him number 53 instead of his own number. Wearing 5 and 3 just seems right somehow.

Also, imagine the commentaries, with Mitchell, Lewis and Mitchell Lewis, Make it happen Clarko.

Not Knowing the fitness and availability of Schoenmakers, Burgoyne and possible question marks over Burton's ankle as well as Bruest head. I think that selection might just be a simple as TOB out, with Sicily In.
No amount of venting on here has ever seen a senior player such as Langford come in for one week and dropped the next, same said for mass inclusion of young / inexperienced players.

Out, TOB

In, Sicily

Can't see that happening for a whole bunch of reasons...

You obviously missed him being out marked in week one, in a one on one, against a mid.

He has started the season very poorly and needs to find form at BHH once back from injury.

His stats on two AFL games in 2018 are an average of 8 touches, 1 mark, 1 tackle, 0.5 goals a game... he was very similar in the JLT.

Surely does not deserve an immediate recall based on this, although I know stats don't mean everything.

Surely you also saw Shoe "protect the drop" for both Rough and Gunner on several occasions week one and two. He does so much that people don't see.
I wish he were a yard quicker but he makes a difference when he plays, because he makes others better.

VFL: Round 1 vs Williamstown

O’Rourke: 26 disposals - 3 marks - 5 tackles - 5 inside 50s - 1 goal
Cousins: 18 disposals - 3 marks - 6 tackles - 8 inside 50s - 3 goals - 3 behinds
Whitecross: 18 disposals - 3 marks - 2 tackles
Moore: 17 disposals - 4 marks - 1 goal
Willsmore: 17 disposals - 6 marks
Miles: 16 disposals - 7 marks - 3 tackles - 5 rebound 50s - 1 goal
Worpel: 16 disposals - 5 marks - 3 tackles - 2 goals
Mirra: 16 disposals - 5 marks
Heatherley: 13 disposals - 5 marks
Glass: 11 disposals - 4 marks
Jones: 11 disposals - 5 tackles
Lovell: 11 disposals - 2 tackles
Pittonet: 10 disposals - 4 marks - 13 hit-outs
Lewis: 9 disposals - 4 marks - 2 tackles - 3 goals - 2 behinds
Nash: 9 disposals - 3 marks - 3 tackles
Hanrahan: 3 disposals - 1 mark
Ross: 3 disposals: 1 mark

DNP: Ceglar, Jiath

Cousins: 18 disposals - 3 marks - 6 tackles - 8 inside 50s - 3 goals - 3 behinds

I thought Cousins had 29 disposals?

Lovell's numbers a little concerning.

How were people raving about Glass being BOG with 11 touches and 4 marks.... He's not Cyril !!! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back