Game Day Round 8 vs. Carlton, MCG, 7:40pm Fri 03/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering about JDG having an injury and thought groin as his kicking has been way off.

If he and Mitchell don't come up, Elliott/McCreery in the centre and give either MacRae/McInnes full game the other sub.

Maybe even give the Sarge a go in the centre.

Time for the coach to think outside the box.

Doesn't explain his inability to hit a handball target 3 metres away.

I think it's relevant to acknowledge that the 1 point win against Brisbane came from being 46 points down in the second quarter. This performance encapsulated Carlton's mentality this season, where they have also fought back from two 20-point deficits against GWS to win and got within 2 kicks of Geelong late in the game, kicking 3 goals in 3 minutes when 30-odd points down.

To me these 3 performances are, for the moment, concerning for us. We are yet to string together a 4-quarter performance and will more than likely need to this Friday night if we're to get the 4 points.

As underdogs however there's plenty of upside for us. Win, and it'll show genuine improvement and an innate ability to find a way. Lose, but put in a good performance, and it'll be an expected result that the coaching staff can point to as the watermark in order to drive improvement and standards.

Doesn't it highlight the inconsistency in Carlton's game? It suggests we'll get enough opportunity to control the game on Friday night. It's whether we take our chances unlike what we saw on Anzac Day.

I'd also take to the bank that we won't cough up the first 6 goals of the game for a 3rd game running.

Is the consecutive games record starting to play on the mind of Crisp and self preservation is starting to set in even if only subconsciously?

His disposal average of 16.43 so far in 2024 is the lowest of his career whilst at Collingwood and close to 5 disposals less on average than last season. It's over 10 less than his career best average of 27 achieved in 2021.

We need him to lift and with De Goey and Mitchell in serious doubt for this week it's become urgent.

Who knows but at some point credits in the bank expire. He's been really poor this season outside 1 game as the sub.

Really need him to find some of his better form because he's so valuable to the way we play.

Yeah, and with a full week to recover, I think a few more of our vets will really lift.
They'll need a super lift given the players missing. TD and I are predicting a 15 goal win to the Blues at this stage. TD is considering taking up drinking for the first time in his life to get through the game. I'm off to Richmond to see if I can't find some heroin with which to totally anaesthetise the system against what could be the most decisive defeat of all time. Alcohol won't even touch the sides this Friday night.

The Cats are so well coached. They know their weakness is through the middle but they pressured the Blues enough to ensure they didn't get enough clean looks at it going inside 50. Their backline is like a brickwall, they have unbelievable runners and their forwards are just so clinical. In saying that they did cough up over 100 points, albeit 4 quick goals late in the game flattered the Blues on the scoreboard.

The Blues are gettable, the ladder flatters them right. It's a matter of which Collingwood rock up. Got a sneaky feeling we'll put on a show Friday night and put plenty of pundits back in their box.
On discussing Geel, Hoyne on SEN made the point that although they lose Clearance they ensure immediate pressure giving the opposition a “dirty clearance “. So Geel effectively nullify the oppositions ability to do damage with pure clearances.

That is great Coaching

I was kinda stunned that the bloke who owns the gym I go to (who is a Hawthorn supporter) is super confident we'll beat Carlton

I was like "Mate, have you actually watched us play this year? De Goey probably isn't playing either"

"Nup, you'll beat Carlton easy. I'm even putting money on you guys"

Man. I'd kill for confidence like that right now lol

Last edited:
Important game for Crisp with him probably playing as a full time mid. Hopefully it kick starts his season
I’d also like to see McReery pushed up the field more this week. I’m not talking a full time role, but one where he can free wheel in open space and use his pace to create rather than finish.

I don’t think he or Shoota is struggling, but the mix isn’t 100% at the moment so maybe a different look will help both kick on. I’d rather JDG and Mitchell fit, but if it means Crisp, McReery and Shoota can lift their output while those two freshen up I don’t think it’s a net loss to the best 23.

Last edited:
On discussing Geel, Hoyne on SEN made the point that although they lose Clearance they ensure immediate pressure giving the opposition a “dirty clearance “. So Geel effectively nullify the oppositions ability to do damage with pure clearances.

That is great Coaching
And they've now got the flankers to slingshot it and do damage on the rebound with really quick ball movement. Chris Scott is very good.

Doesn't explain his inability to hit a handball target 3 metres away.
I may be wrong, and I’m sure the medicos will correct me, but a groin injury or strain (or whatever it is) could impact on handballing, if the latter involves stretching or twisting.

I’m wincing while I’m typing this.

Also, if he’s in pain or discomfort while playing, the accuracy of his handballs, and the split second decision required to hit the right player at the right time, could well be impacted.

As we know, his kicking and hand balling have been ‘off’ for a while.

Ash Johnson is rated "Below Average" for kicking efficiency, and "Average" for shot at goal accuracy over his career.

It's a myth that he's a great kick because we all remember the 2 times he kicked goals from 50. He's missed quite a lot of easy ones too
his disposal efficiency is 66 percent ..quite reasonable ..he's higher than cox Elliott Mihocek ..2022/2023

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't it highlight the inconsistency in Carlton's game? It suggests we'll get enough opportunity to control the game on Friday night. It's whether we take our chances unlike what we saw on Anzac Day.

I'd also take to the bank that we won't cough up the first 6 goals of the game for a 3rd game running.
There's inconsistency in Carlton's game, as there has been for a few years. What I think is concerning for us though is that just enough has been good enough for Carlton this season, much like it was for parts of our season last year.

They seem to have been able to capitalise on momentum shifts better than most teams this season. The key for us on Friday will be to firstly limit any momentum shifts and, when they inevitably happen, limit Carlton's damage when they're in the ascendancy.

Is the consecutive games record starting to play on the mind of Crisp and self preservation is starting to set in even if only subconsciously?

His disposal average of 16.43 so far in 2024 is the lowest of his career whilst at Collingwood and close to 5 disposals less on average than last season. It's over 10 less than his career best average of 27 achieved in 2021.

We need him to lift and with De Goey and Mitchell in serious doubt for this week it's become urgent.
Surely not. My old man used to say “trying not to get injured is the surest way to get injured” I really don’t think he would be adjusting his game and would be disappointed if that was the case. He’s just a bit down and I reckon our overall disposal count would probably be down. Might check that out actually.

Surely not. My old man used to say “trying not to get injured is the surest way to get injured” I really don’t think he would be adjusting his game and would be disappointed if that was the case. He’s just a bit down and I reckon our overall disposal count would probably be down. Might check that out actually.
I used to hear "If you go in hard you are less likely to be hurt!" from our junior coaches. It's hilarious. It's like telling your soldiers, "If you lead the charge when storming enemy trenches rather than skulking in the rear, you are more likely to survive!"

I'll take my chances skulking in the rear. ;)

What about Josh and McCreery on the wings. McCreery rotating through centre at times with other mids. WHE forward and switching wing. Sidebottom majority of time in forward pocket.

What about Josh and McCreery on the wings. McCreery rotating through centre at times with other mids. WHE forward and switching wing. Sidebottom majority of time in forward pocket.

I've suggested this numerous times.

I can only assume Beau doesn't have the tank for a wing role yet. That's a LOOOOOOT of just constant up and down running

we need to put time into Walsh and Acres ..cant allow them both to run Wild ..with likely personnel missing ..good time to allocate maybe role players to try to tag or blanket them ..

I may be wrong, and I’m sure the medicos will correct me, but a groin injury or strain (or whatever it is) could impact on handballing, if the latter involves stretching or twisting.

I’m wincing while I’m typing this.

Also, if he’s in pain or discomfort while playing, the accuracy of his handballs, and the split second decision required to hit the right player at the right time, could well be impacted.

As we know, his kicking and hand balling have been ‘off’ for a while.
Has his handball execution been off or decisions? I can remember a fair number of bad decisions where he has dished off to someone covered.

Decision making could be affected by not having as much power and kicking being off

Just on Crisp, maybe this is a moot point given Noble has been doing fine, but is he perhaps facing the same issue that Markov faced in his first couple of games?

We're clearly more focused this year on front-half turnovers which ultimately means less back-half turnovers, leading to even less transition play down the wings and through the guts.

Crisp and Markov both do their best work at the half back line by using their run and carry.

I'm also not sure Crisp would be treading lightly just to not injure himself and keep his streak alive. The fact he was made sub a month ago was definitely a warning shot that a streak will not outweigh selection integrity if push comes to shove.

I've suggested this numerous times.

I can only assume Beau doesn't have the tank for a wing role yet. That's a LOOOOOOT of just constant up and down running
I'm not sure about tank concerns, but I think his approach to the game might not suit the wing. He is relentless in his pursuit of the man, and can get sucked into structural miscues because of this. It's not really an issue because he is so good at impacting contests, but it might be an issue on the wing.

Think Schultz would be better there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back