Preview Round 9 Sydney Swans v Carlton Blues at the SCG (Dan Robinson to debut)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals

Match Details

Sydney Swans Vs Carlton Blues
3rd, 6W - 2L, 127.4% 18th, 1W - 7L, 64.9%

When and Where

Friday May 29 - SCG, 7.50PM

Broadcast Info

Chanel 7 - 7:30pm Live (Melb) 7pm Live (Adel)

7 Mate - 7.30pm Live (Syd,Bris) 5.30pm Live (Perth)

Weather forecast

Min 14° - Max 21° Cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers. Winds north to northwesterly 20 to 30 km/h turning west to southwesterly 15 to 25 km/h during the day

Betting

Sydney $1.03 Carlton $11.00

Injuries

Sydney

Alex Johnson - Knee - Indefinite
Lloyd Perris - Knee - 3-4 weeks
Isaac Heeney - Knee - 3-5 weeks
Lewis Melican - Groin - 1-2 weeks​

Carlton

Cameron Giles - Foot - Indefinite
Ciaran Byrne - Hamstring - 1-2 weeks
Ciaran Sheehan - Groin - TBC
Patrick Cripps - Calf - Test
Andrew Walker - Knee - Test
Lachie Henderson - Hamstring - Test
Michael Jamison - Calf - 2 weeks​

Current Form

Sydney -LLWWW Carlton - WLLLL

Head to Head (since 1980)

Sydney 30 - Carlton 27

Last 5 times

R17 2014 Syd 18.14 (122) def Carl 7.9 (51) SCG

SF 2013 Syd 13.8 (86) def Carl 8.14 (62) ANZ

R14 2013 Syd 8.17 (65) def Carl 5.13 (43) SCG

R19 2012 Syd 14.9 (93) def Carl 10.11 (71) Etihad

R13 2011 Carl 15.10 (100) def Syd 10.6 (66) Etihad

Last time they met

The Sydney Swans rose to a club record equalling 12th consecutive victory for the season, thrashing Carlton by 71 points at the SCG. The Swans started the match dominating possession and the inside 50 tally, but were unable to make it count on the scoreboard. Gary Rohan finally broke a goalless first 18 minutes with a superb solo effort, accelerating away from Zach Tuohy and slamming it through from a tight angle. The Blues trailed by just seven points after a competitive first half before Lance Franklin took over, kicking five of the Swans 10 goals in the third quarter to break the game open. It was 10.4 to one solitary point in that third term as the Swans cruised to an 18.14 (122) to 7.9 (51) victory. Josh Kennedy finished with an impressive 41 touches, while Jarrad McVeigh, Kieren Jack, Ben McGlynn and Luke Parker played their part. Mike Pyke also finished with 53 hit-outs. Bryce Gibbs, Marc Murphy and Kade Simpson were the Blues best on a disappointing night.

Brownlow Votes

Josh Kennedy - 3

Lance Franklin - 2

Jarrod McVeigh - 1

Key Stats

Sydney Season Average Carlton

387 Disposals 332

41 Clearances 41

54 Inside 50 45

145 Contested Possessions 133

74 Tackles 54

49 Hit-Outs 42

18 Free Kicks 19

Key Players

Sydney

Josh Kennedy - Josh is ticking along nicely this season and delivering what we have all come to expect from him week in week out. He is averaging 28.9 disposals, 7.5 clearances and 6 tackles per game. Certainly our most important midfielder.

Lance Franklin - Lance seems to be having a down season so far in comparison to last, however speculation mounts that this is due to an ankle injury he is nursing. Averaging 2.85 goals (2015) vs 3.6 goals (2014) goes a long way to prove this, although the fact he has already had two goalless matches this season compared to 1 for the entire 2014 season is the biggest telling factor. He averages 3.7 goals per match against Carlton so let's hope he can get his kicking boots back on.

Jeremy Laidler - OK so he's never going to be the type of player that can win you a game off his own boot, but he is one of my personal favourites and an ex-blue himself, I kinda feel I have to include him on this one. 2015 is turning out to be his most consistent season so far. Dropped late last season and didn't get a look in in the GF, he has played all 8 games so far this season and really seems to have cemented a spot in the Swans back line. Plays the third tall role very well but can get exposed with leg speed, he has a very smart footy brain and knows when to leave his opponent to help out a team mate. Given Carlton's lack of talent, Jeremy is one player Mick will be spewing he let go.

Carlton

Kade Simpson - Kade is having a pretty consistent season despite missing two games this year. He is ranked 4th in the AFL for bounces per game, going to show how important his run and carry is to the blues. Coming off a season high 30 disposals in the loss to Geelong last week, Kade is one of Carlton's most in form players and one the swans will need to keep a close eye on this week. He seems to be playing the loose sweeper role very well and if the Swans revert back to high bomb kicks into the forward line, Kade will surely make life difficult.

Andrejs Everitt - L!! Really disappointed Dre left the swans at the end of the 2013 season. Coming off his most consistent year to date, the swans simply couldn't match a rival offer from the blues at a time when the massive news of Buddy's arrival broke. He chose money and guaranteed game time over trying to hold a spot in a top 4 team, and I don't blame him. One of Carlton's most consistent performers and the blues will be looking to take advantage of any inside knowledge he may have from his time with the swans.

Marc Murphy - The blues captain to me is the most important player on their list. At a time when they sit dead last on the ladder and speculation mounts about the coach's future, the rest of the team need a leader to look to on and off the field, and that leader is Marc. Ben McGlynn has been the man putting the hard tag on the oppositions best player lately with Bird unable to force his way back in the team and id expect him to go straight to Marc. If Benny can cull the influence of their captain, it will go a long way to a swans victory.

The Coaches

John Longmire Vs Mick Malthouse

One will have a job at the end of the season. The other will not.....

Who Wins

I'm not the type on bloke that will write off any team no matter what their position on the ladder. After all, upsets can and do happen. In saying that it would take a miracle of biblical proportions for the blues to pull off a win at a packed SCG on Friday night. If the swans stick to their hard at it, physical game style and keep trying to find multiple avenues to goal as they have done so effectively this season then they will walk away with the 4 points. Swans by 76.​

well the other thread got locked before I could post this so I'm just going to paste it here,

I get where your coming from but resting players for no reason is not ideal, players hate being rested(straight from Longmire mouth) they lose momentum and form.

Just look how s**t the Australian cricket team was with their rotation policy once we stopped resting bowlers/batsman for no reason our performances improved dramatically.

It's round 9 man we have a bye in 2 weeks it's to early for any of this talk, im sure the club knows what they are doing with managing of players.

Naturally the players want to play but its the coaching staff who are piloting the season and must be looking down the line.
It's a very tight competition, but there are some games where we can afford to blood some youngsters. This is one of them.

This is the Swans and they seemingly prefer cohesion above all else but I have mostly liked the team selection thus far in '15, Reid playing different roles, Goodes sub in the right games, McGlynn and Bird being shown their places aren't automatic - they have been the right calls knowing we had a tough first two months.

We are probably as always leading the league in least players used. We have a very inexperienced squad beyond the top 25. While that is normal I think ours is a more extreme example than the usual flag contenders of recent years. We can tinker around the edges and blood some youngsters who through injury may have to play finals, or top 4 teams in the near future if injurys we're to get the wrong guys at the wrong time.

Games should of course be earnt not thrown out at random and that is not what I am advocating, just, when prudent, mix in a few of the guys who should be at least physically ready. Xav Richards and Aliir are in their 20s, in their third years and must be eager to play in the big time to gauge their performance at the top level where they, and hopefully the club see them playing for a long time. Dan Robinson was rated as fairly equal to Lloyd, I think Longmire himself said they could only upgrade one of the two and they went Lloyd. He must be close after being in the bests regularly this year. Naismith and Nankervis too are now in their 20's and have regularly featured in the bests. Jones played in his first year and has extended his contract.

Our midfielders are far and away better. If Ted Richards was rested and his brother or Aliir played is that going to have much of a bearing on the outcome of the game? I think not. Grundy could take Henderson, Xav/Allir Casboult/Jones with Laidler, Reid and Rampe in support.
Likewise if Pyke was rested and Naismith got another shot, the difference in their performance would not be the difference between us winning and losing.
Shaw could be rested and probably any of Marsh, Hewett, Robinson could come in with some adjustments and we would fair the same.

I am not saying necessarily all those changes this week, but these transitions are going to be very important.

I think this is Ted's last season and I would be shocked to see us get a replacement fullback post season.

We need to have another look at Zak Jones in the defence.

We need to have a look at our backup ruckmen Naismith and Nankervis in the Seniors.

Perfect opportunity to select these boys and see how they go.

I agree with this, I noticed during the Hawthorn game Pyke's lack of mobility is abit of a concern, anytime he gave chase he couldn't catch or put pressure on anyone, even the opposition ruckmen. Seems that winning the hitouts isn't as important as it use to be as midfielders are better at reading the contest as we seen when we played the dogs and when freo played the dogs as well. Pyke only managed to lay 1 tackle in the hawthorn game and he played in the middle for majority of it. Naismith and Nankervis seem to be kicking 2 or 3 goals each week and look as if they have abit more mobility. Wouldn't mind seeing either of them or Jones getting reward for effort and getting a chance this week seeing how consistently they have been performing.

I wouldn't be going crazy with changes.

Maybe rest Buddy if his form of late has been effected by injury to freshen him up.

I would maybe bring in Naismith to help out Pyke and force Tippett to stay inside 50 for an entire game, brought about by resting Buddy.

But no changes just for the sake of making them

It's not just for the sake of it Robbie. Rather it's forward planning.

If Pykey or Rhyce go down, we need to have a plan in place.

It's not just for the sake of it Robbie. Rather it's forward planning.

If Pykey or Rhyce go down, we need to have a plan in place.

Naturally, but that's what the reserves are for. We shouldn't be making unforced changes just to look at players because really they won't learn anything if it is done on mass. If Franklin and Rohan need a rest or McVeigh is suspended you look at doing it there, but you don't drop players for a Round 9 game just before the bye for future planning

Remember with Naismith and his game against Richmond was with it being a late replacement for Pyke. He was gone by half time and subbed half way though the 3rd quarter. If he plays, so must Pyke. Allows us to see them in action together and doesn't expose Naismith like we did in Round 23.

Remember with Naismith and his game against Richmond was with it being a late replacement for Pyke. He was gone by half time and subbed half way though the 3rd quarter. If he plays, so must Pyke. Allows us to see them in action together and doesn't expose Naismith like we did in Round 23.

Last year one off game is of course the guide to what he would produce now

I forgot about drex when i suggested Naismith anyway bring him in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how Andrejs will go, sometimes I forget he plays for Carlton now who may be without Judd and Jibbs through injury. I tend to give opposition teams a go and that they have a chance at beating us. But I really can't see us losing this. Period. Unless we do a Freo of course, but Horse rarely shakes up the selection table. Swans by 10+ goals.

Candy Canes are back!

14Goodes2205_620B.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back