Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

If you've been doing longer runs in training, just eat whatever you normally eat IMO. No need to specifically carb load if you've not tried it before and if you can already run 21.1km on your normal diet you probably don't need to do anything special.

Get up early enough to have some light breakfast that you know will sit will and a coffee / tea to get the bowels moving. If that means getting up at 4 or 4:30am for the 7am race start, get up early, the absolute last thing you want is to be worried about needing to find somewhere for a number two in the half hour before the race start - or during the race. I've always liked porridge or a bagel / toast with peanut butter since I know for me they sit well, go with something you know works for you.
Thanks for this, this is really useful! Yeah I'm normally an evening runner and probably only done 1-2 long runs early in the morning which is why the nutrition part is a bit more of an unknown. But I think I'll just wake up super early and eat what I know sits well - thank you!

Melb Mara 2024 regos opened on Wednesday, and yesterday they were already 70% filled :fearscream:

One of my mates signed up so I decided to do so as well. First mara next year I guess, future me's problem to train for that haha.

Melb Mara 2024 regos opened on Wednesday, and yesterday they were already 70% filled :fearscream:

One of my mates signed up so I decided to do so as well. First mara next year I guess, future me's problem to train for that haha.

When you're 21 of 21.1 km in on Sunday, just remember you'll be about halfway through the marathon ;)

Sold out now...
I was going to enter in Jan when I had been able to string a few weeks running together to make sure I was OK (coming back from injury)

But that boat has sailed it seems... Hopefully a waiting list option becomes available I guess 🤷

Sold out now...
I was going to enter in Jan when I had been able to string a few weeks running together to make sure I was OK (coming back from injury)

But that boat has sailed it seems... Hopefully a waiting list option becomes available I guess

Holy hell, when did the mmf become so popular/in demand?

Next year for me is the one where upon completion I'll get to wear Spartan Green for a few years. I mean technically I can wear the top next year but the bib won't be yellow until registering for number 11.

Finished sub-1:40 in the 2XU Half Mara today — first HM race so very pleased with that time!

Bloody sore though, keen for a bit of a break 😆 wish I had the foresight to take tomorrow off to rest up, especially with how nice the weathers gonna be in Melb tmr!
Nice time mate! Congrats

Big day in future running plans today. Scored a spot in Berlin Marathon at my first attempt in the ballot. Also NYCM guaranteed entry travel packages were released today so put deposit down on one. Have missed NYCM ballot like 8 times (ran it in 2022 after I scored a guaranteed entry from running the virtual in 2020) and will be on the East Coast at that time next year so decided to just bite the bullet and pay for the package rather than run the ballot gauntlet again. Is also the weekend before the Presidential election so could well be the end of American democracy as we know it, what a way to celebrate. Means I'll be running Paris, Berlin and NYC Marathons in 2024. better start training!

Stinking hot in Melbourne today but the only time I could run today was during my lunch break so it was split shorts on, shirt off, all guns a blazing 💪 bring on summer runs!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey all, currently a week down on my return to run plan.. Going OK I think.. So happy to make the baby steps.

Did get myself some new shoes over Christmas... Saucony Kinvara Pro.. And I will say they may be my fave shoes ever so far (all 3 x4k run/walks in) they just work for me, feel smooth and fantastic. Highly recommend, I can see the being my long run go to shoe when time comes, considering getting a 2nd pair as they are still on sale!

developed a mild groin strain in late November. never had one before and didn’t want to lose fitness so figured I could train through it.
it was sore to walk and run on but once it warmed up (after about 5 or 10 minutes) it was fine.
after a few runs it was so sore I couldn’t make it through the first 5 minutes to get it warm.
took a few days off, it felt ok, went for a run and it regressed to how it felt before I took the days off. rinse and repeat this about 3 times, maybe more.
after wasting a month and a half on half arsed running cause I didn’t want to lose fitness I’ve finally decided to rest it for 2 weeks (at least) so it can fully heal.

long story short…..I’m an idiot.

Been told I have arthritis in my big toes which is actually very painful but has ups and downs. Tight soccer boots certainly don't help

I suspect this is causing sore achilles as I must be doing something unknowingly with my feet to ease toe pain

Anyone got any ideas/exercises/rehab to fix either issue? Not wearing boots an obvious answer but don't want to give it up just yet...

No matter the boot, toes are sore. The big ones are inward toward the 2nd toe, no idea why. Using silicone toe spreaders around the house but doesn't seem to straighten them out. Really hope there's a solution - podiatrist lost me when trying to upsell orthotics for a million bucks. Never seemed interested in helping unless there was a sale...

Been told I have arthritis in my big toes which is actually very painful but has ups and downs. Tight soccer boots certainly don't help

I suspect this is causing sore achilles as I must be doing something unknowingly with my feet to ease toe pain

Anyone got any ideas/exercises/rehab to fix either issue? Not wearing boots an obvious answer but don't want to give it up just yet...

No matter the boot, toes are sore. The big ones are inward toward the 2nd toe, no idea why. Using silicone toe spreaders around the house but doesn't seem to straighten them out. Really hope there's a solution - podiatrist lost me when trying to upsell orthotics for a million bucks. Never seemed interested in helping unless there was a sale...

Not a medical professional, just have my own personal experience, but I've found barefoot shoes are quite good for slowly helping strengthen the foot / open up the toes.

I've got a pair similar to this, use them for walking the dog / gym type stuff. Look at the shape of your shoes and you can see why your big toe ends up getting forced inwards, so looking for shoes that are wider through the toebox (even if they look a bit weird) to help give your toes the opportunity to return to their natural position is helpful, the barefoot shoes do double duty because it allows your foot to move in the way it ways to and should over time help return some foot strength. Also the fact there's no heel-toe drop helps with Achilles pain as well (for me anyway). If your foot isn't functioning properly then that can definitely result in pain elsewhere in the body.

If you don't own a pair of Birkenstocks they're also a great option for comfort if your feet are sore.

Running shoe wise I gravitate to shoes with a little more room in the toe box to help stop them feeling as jammed in, so maybe see if there's some boots out there that offer a wider toebox? I don't go full barefoot shoe for running as between having the Vivo's for other stuff and running shoes with a bit more room in the toe box I find it enough to keep injuries away.

There's a Melbourne podiatrist on Instagram who posts a lot about this stuff.

There's also some Physiotherapists who do running shoe reviews that have some interesting articles;

Not a medical professional, just have my own personal experience, but I've found barefoot shoes are quite good for slowly helping strengthen the foot / open up the toes.

I've got a pair similar to this, use them for walking the dog / gym type stuff. Look at the shape of your shoes and you can see why your big toe ends up getting forced inwards, so looking for shoes that are wider through the toebox (even if they look a bit weird) to help give your toes the opportunity to return to their natural position is helpful, the barefoot shoes do double duty because it allows your foot to move in the way it ways to and should over time help return some foot strength. Also the fact there's no heel-toe drop helps with Achilles pain as well (for me anyway). If your foot isn't functioning properly then that can definitely result in pain elsewhere in the body.

If you don't own a pair of Birkenstocks they're also a great option for comfort if your feet are sore.

Running shoe wise I gravitate to shoes with a little more room in the toe box to help stop them feeling as jammed in, so maybe see if there's some boots out there that offer a wider toebox? I don't go full barefoot shoe for running as between having the Vivo's for other stuff and running shoes with a bit more room in the toe box I find it enough to keep injuries away.

There's a Melbourne podiatrist on Instagram who posts a lot about this stuff.

There's also some Physiotherapists who do running shoe reviews that have some interesting articles;

Cheers

I've herd of the barefoot shoes but never followed it up much, thought it was a bit gimmicky but will need to have a look!

Need to find a pair that suit corporate attire preferably. Can deal with my sneakers for running/gym, it's probably the 8-10 hours a day in dress shoes doing the most damage.

Muscles in my feet are screaming after about 20 mins in soccer boots but suspect it links back to everything else. These might be the answer!

Edit: These shoes aren't cheap

Last edited:
Cheers

I've herd of the barefoot shoes but never followed it up much, thought it was a bit gimmicky but will need to have a look!

Need to find a pair that suit corporate attire preferably. Can deal with my sneakers for running/gym, it's probably the 8-10 hours a day in dress shoes doing the most damage.

Muscles in my feet are screaming after about 20 mins in soccer boots but suspect it links back to everything else. These might be the answer!

Edit: These shoes aren't cheap

I held out until they went on sale, they've been pretty durable given there's no cushioning or anything to wear out and even some time spent walking around in barefoot shoes appears to improve foot function from the studies the guys on Doctors of Running have talked about, which seems to add up in my experience.

Agree that shoving your feet in to narrow dress shoes for full work days at a time aren't great. I'm fortunate that work is a lot less corporate post-covid.

Depending how 'corporate' your attire is you might be able to get away with something like which is about as dressy as barefoot shoes get;

I'm sure there is some actual dress shoes with wider toe boxes around but I don't know of any off-hand.

I held out until they went on sale, they've been pretty durable given there's no cushioning or anything to wear out and even some time spent walking around in barefoot shoes appears to improve foot function from the studies the guys on Doctors of Running have talked about, which seems to add up in my experience.

Agree that shoving your feet in to narrow dress shoes for full work days at a time aren't great. I'm fortunate that work is a lot less corporate post-covid.

Depending how 'corporate' your attire is you might be able to get away with something like which is about as dressy as barefoot shoes get;

I'm sure there is some actual dress shoes with wider toe boxes around but I don't know of any off-hand.
Yeah I'll read a bit more about it tonight. Might try a cheaper pair off Amazon or something and if lower quality like show improvement then I'll purchase a good pair after.

I've had achilles issues on and off for the last 18 months and have had a couple of trips to the podiatrist as a result. A few things that he recommended that have helped make it much more manageable:

*Adjusting my shoe laces to help spread the load on the foot. Make use of those holes at the top of the shoe when tying your running shoes if you're not already doing so.
1705531871530.png

*Buy a foam roller from Kmart for $10 and use it after a run. Using it for a couple minutes on each set of muscles for calves/hamstrings/quads has helped to release a lot of the tightness that contributes to putting more stress on the achilles . Note don't use the foam roller on your achillies directly.
*Heel raises and single leg heel raises a couple times a day as a single set of 15 make a huge difference,. You'll feel straight away what condition your achillies is in by how much pain you're in doing the exercises.

The best two days are the day you sign up for the race and the day you complete it. Everything in between is miserable!

Big day in future running plans today. Scored a spot in Berlin Marathon at my first attempt in the ballot. Also NYCM guaranteed entry travel packages were released today so put deposit down on one. Have missed NYCM ballot like 8 times (ran it in 2022 after I scored a guaranteed entry from running the virtual in 2020) and will be on the East Coast at that time next year so decided to just bite the bullet and pay for the package rather than run the ballot gauntlet again. Is also the weekend before the Presidential election so could well be the end of American democracy as we know it, what a way to celebrate. Means I'll be running Paris, Berlin and NYC Marathons in 2024. better start training!

Mate, I’m envious. That sounds amazing.

How much did the NYC package cost? That has always been a bucket list item for me. Love the city, been three or four times, and would love to run it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back