Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't worry about thinking every Km had to be sub 5 minutes.....

As for Melbourne, with the crowded start line (there were over 8000 last year) don't expect a fast start if you start amongst the pack, but once you hit the back of the GP track (from about 8km) the field tends to string out a little and you'll feel a little more comfortable.

Just knocked off my best effort ever, 22km in 1:46. Absolutely wrecked. I seem to have this horrible habit of cruising for the first 12kms or so, then hitting a wall at around 15kms. At 10km I feel totally fine, but rarely stick it out past 15km. Anyone got any advice on how to build that resistance? Because I'd love to run a full marathon within a year, but I usually keep finding myself pulling out around the 15km mark. Should I just slow down? I am usually around the 4.8 to 5.3 minutes per km.

Just knocked off my best effort ever, 22km in 1:46. Absolutely wrecked. I seem to have this horrible habit of cruising for the first 12kms or so, then hitting a wall at around 15kms. At 10km I feel totally fine, but rarely stick it out past 15km. Anyone got any advice on how to build that resistance? Because I'd love to run a full marathon within a year, but I usually keep finding myself pulling out around the 15km mark. Should I just slow down? I am usually around the 4.8 to 5.3 minutes per km.

yeah, just start slower. it should feel really easy. throw away the watch (or just dont look at it) and run on feel.

ideally each run should have a specific goal and if your goal for that run is to cover the distance feeling better then forget about pace.
you can work on the pace in tempo/threshold/speed sessions

Certainly for longer runs you don't want to go any harder than what you feel comfortably doing, unless speed sections are part of your specific program for the day.

Anyone heading to join the 80000 in Sydney this Sunday? I've graduated to the Green group from Blue, but have run times over the distance to qualify for Red and breaking 1:10 is the aim.

Burning too fast too early and you should really ease it back until you can do the 22km. Even if it takes 2-3 hours. I could do 10km/hour and cruise it or 15km in 90 minutes (this is going back a few years now). It also comes down the biomechanics, footwear, preparation, diet etc. there's a lot that comes into it.

Some issues:
- Water retention and consumption 2-3 days before, day before, night before, day of run, during and after
- Energy, what are you eating? Lots of fats, oils and dairy? Salts & Sugars? Because you shouldn't this will kill your energy stores leading up
- Footwear is critical so your legs don't wear themselves out on hard surfaces
- Maybe your running style is inefficient and you burn too much energy keeping your distance pace. You could consult a running coach and get their feedback
- Physique; are you carrying extra weight? Do you suffer leg injuries?

Could be that you aren't fit enough and you need to keep working at it, slowly building up distance each run instead of killing yourself each time. All the long distances runners start off with a base and gradually increase distance, but that base is rock solid. Sprints, strides & hill climbs are fantastic for building base because it increases the oxygen capacity in the cardiovascular system. Other options are cycling and swimming of course, cycling specifically for cardio & legs.

Help please :), cyclist here who is trying to get a bit more into running. At the moment I do about a 6-7k run twice a week maybe, on the days I can't be bothered riding. I'm enjoying it as a break up to just riding and am looking at GPS watches to make it a bit more interesting. I use a Garmin for my bike but am open to other brands, any recomendations for something under the $200 mark?

Help please :), cyclist here who is trying to get a bit more into running. At the moment I do about a 6-7k run twice a week maybe, on the days I can't be bothered riding. I'm enjoying it as a break up to just riding and am looking at GPS watches to make it a bit more interesting. I use a Garmin for my bike but am open to other brands, any recomendations for something under the $200 mark?
Why not just use your phone in gps mode?

I use a Garmin 210 and am really happy with it but it is the only running watch I've used so can't make comparisons with others.
Why not just use your phone in gps mode?
Certainly for longer runs you don't want to go any harder than what you feel comfortably doing, unless speed sections are part of your specific program for the day.

Anyone heading to join the 80000 in Sydney this Sunday? I've graduated to the Green group from Blue, but have run times over the distance to qualify for Red and breaking 1:10 is the aim.
How do you guys pick your shoes? I need new ones and I'm considering having a podiatrist pick out the most appropriate pair.

What do you guys use and how do they go?

How do you guys pick your shoes? I need new ones and I'm considering having a podiatrist pick out the most appropriate pair.

What do you guys use and how do they go?
depends - do your ankles roll? If so, go see a podiatrist because running is not for you. Can't stress this enough, you will * up your legs if you pronate.

depends - do your ankles roll? If so, go see a podiatrist because running is not for you. Can't stress this enough, you will **** up your legs if you pronate.
Not for me if I don't see a podiatrist or not for me period?

My main problem is probably that my pelvis tilts forward.

Not for me if I don't see a podiatrist or not for me period?

My main problem is probably that my pelvis tilts forward.
you can work with it - straighten up your body when landing and lean your torso forward so you aren't upright or leaning backwards. you can adjust your running style based off of impact soreness in different areas - eg sore knees, too much heel, sore calves, too much forefoot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you could just strap it to your arm or something and use the sportstracker app and the gps. it's a lot cheaper than spending a few hundred just for a gps device.

I second this.

Most shorts have a little pocket these days that fits a phone if you don't want to strap to your arm, that is what I do when running. A watch seems so unnecessary.

I'm similar too this as well. Have no issues really running a solid 21kms in 1.35 - 1.45, but I drop off soon after and really feel the pinch in anything over 25km.

Got my next marathon in Nov so hoping I'll get back into the swing of things in the next couple of months.

depends - do your ankles roll? If so, go see a podiatrist because running is not for you. Can't stress this enough, you will **** up your legs if you pronate.
ummm most people pronate...its perfectly natural. its the bodys way of evenly distributing and absorbing the shock on impact. excessive pronation is bad yes but your statement is misleading

have you had a look at the Garmin FR15? it currently retails at $199 sans HRM which im guessing you already have anyway.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/06/garmin-forerunner-15-depth-review.html
http://www.highlytunedathletes.com.au/Garmin-Forerunner-FR15-BlackBlue-no-HRM.html

Well I completed my 2nd City2Surf in 1:08, 5 minutes quicker than last year. Hopefully this will get me into the Red group (just behind the elites) for 2015. Also covered Heartbreak Hill in 8 minutes, I can't (yet at the same time could) believe how so many struggled where i felt I thrived. Overshadowed though by the passing of the young lad near his finish....

Anyone got any advice for running the city to surf 12km? I haven't run a race in ages and I was pretty unfit this year, but have worked into shape over the last 2 and a bit months with circuit exercise/interval running and I feel pretty good, but just nervous I'm going to puff myself out early.

I run twice a week. An 7-8km run with a group called Hash House Harriers and a 5km run with a group called Road Runners. I also hit the gym twice a week for weight training. I am working towards a half marathon in the next year or so. My biggest weakness is that I start off too quickly then die at the end. I would like to train myself to negative split.

Well the schedule for the remainder of the year is set.

- Twilight Bay Run (Half Marathon), Wynnum, Brisbane, 20 September
- Melbourne Marathon, 12 October
- Point2Pinnacle, Hobart, November 16

There may be another event either between Melbourne and Hobart (Run Sydney, November 2 firmly in the sights) or even after Hobart (perhaps Kurrawa to Duranbah 50 or 30km) to come. Doing this half is again something I like to do before taking on a full to test out plans and routines plus to practice in race conditions rather than training or cross-training.

I also have a plan for Melbourne which may sound simple to many to reach the goal of sub 4 hours. The aim is to be past 33km after 3 hours, and bowling along from there. At least I know not to go too early this year (I went at 10km and was spent at 26), and I'll have a better training base (entering was an afterthought, the original half marathon choice was sold out).

I run twice a week. An 7-8km run with a group called Hash House Harriers and a 5km run with a group called Road Runners. I also hit the gym twice a week for weight training. I am working towards a half marathon in the next year or so. My biggest weakness is that I start off too quickly then die at the end. I would like to train myself to negative split.
You would be able to do it now. Not sure why people think they have to train for months for a half marathon if they have any kind of base fitness. Its all ticker.

Maybe if you want to run a super competitive time in a race, yeah. Smash it out solo on Saturday morning.

Figure out what your middle pace is, which will be probably be slower than your initial pace. Work on starting a bit slower and building up your pace. You can do it with interval activities and splits over a set distance. You could speak to someone who runs marathons.

You could set yourself a split time to achieve over 1km 3km 5km and 10km distances and check that each 1km split is about the same. I have no idea what that time should be, because it depends entirely on how you run, fitness level, running technique, oxygenation etc. Alternatively, you could track of your pace with GPS.

I would recommend running as much of a marathon as you can and track how you go, and then try to balance it out so that you don't fatigue early in the race. Use intervals to train yourself and monitor your pace. Sounds easy enough, just takes a bit of effort to make sure you don't go off bolting at the start.

I did the Bridge to Brisbane for the first time this morning.

10km in 41:49 at 4:10 minutes/km which is my new PB for the distance. I also set a new 5km PB over the first half: 20:25 is the official time for the event but I recorded 19:31 on Strava.

Now to see about the half marathon at Wynnum in a fortnight. I'm undecided at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back