Ryan Harris Retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Russel Jackson is very good. He wrote one of the most accurate blog posts about post-test career Warne one could read.

It's good to see that he's getting proper sports journo work.

Yeah he possesses this brilliant knack of being remarkably attuned to the feelings of genuine cricket and football fans. Hits the nail on the head in just about every article I've read of his and is selection of topics to write about is just as good. A strange but successful example of this was an 'as-it-happened' blog of a 90's State of Origin game between Victoria and South Australia. Odd concept but he pulled it off superbly. Not to mention those enormous blog posts of his of copies of photos from his old domestic cricket magazine collection.

Geoff Lemon also probably deserves a mention too thanks to that amazing critique of the Channel 9 commentary box that created plenty of waves!

As far as ex players are concerned, Michael Atherton's thoughts are usually well worth a read. Ponting has potential but still can be a bit bland and not really willing to deviate far enough from CA speak.

Whilst on the topic of cricket writing, I highly recommend his autobiography:

rhino.jpg

It actually is genuinely insightful and touches upon a fair bit of stuff which is not common knowledge
- Inherited something like $150k from his gran on his 18th birthday
- Being implicated as being involved in a sexual assault
- The contract negotiation issues with the SACA
- Frustration at being seemingly inept with the bat initially in test cricket when it was clear he had much more ability than what he was producing

Not normally a huge fan of these books coming out during a players career, but this was a good read.

His transformation from a fairly stock standard medium pace trundler into the hustling, bustling, seriously sharp bowler he turned into almost overnight was remarkable. Think it was Graham Manou who said that one day everything inexplicably just got a hell of a lot faster!

I'm surprised this hasn't been analysed a little more.

He has been a revelation since playing international cricket and a big blow for the Ashes.

A servant of Australia if there ever was one, such a joy to watch and as a supporter I am absolutely grateful to have watched his brief career

rhino.jpg

It actually is genuinely insightful and touches upon a fair bit of stuff which is not common knowledge
- Frustration at being seemingly inept with the bat initially in test cricket when it was clear he had much more ability than what he was producing

Not normally a huge fan of these books coming out during a players career, but this was a good read.

That actually doesn't sound too bad, but I don't understand why he wouldn't wait until post-retirement. I think it'd be pretty great to read his thoughts and feelings from over the last year or so. It might be painful for him to write, but would surely be more interesting than all the others that talk about leaving on a high.

Yeah he possesses this brilliant knack of being remarkably attuned to the feelings of genuine cricket and football fans. Hits the nail on the head in just about every article I've read of his and is selection of topics to write about is just as good. A strange but successful example of this was an 'as-it-happened' blog of a 90's State of Origin game between Victoria and South Australia. Odd concept but he pulled it off superbly. Not to mention those enormous blog posts of his of copies of photos from his old domestic cricket magazine collection.

Geoff Lemon also probably deserves a mention too thanks to that amazing critique of the Channel 9 commentary box that created plenty of waves!

As far as ex players are concerned, Michael Atherton's thoughts are usually well worth a read. Ponting has potential but still can be a bit bland and not really willing to deviate far enough from CA speak.

Atherton is good except when he steps over the line between understandable cynicism and unappealing bitterness.

I saw a World Series cricket blog post of Russell Jackson's collections. At least I think it was him. I was scrolling down and saying 'I had that' or 'I wanted that!' with most of his stuff.

Almost everything he writes is brilliant (his day-by-day test match coverage less so, but that's understandable) and he is far and away the best cricket writer around. This piece on Rhino is just superb - the summation of his efforts against South Africa are exactly how I feel (in this specific case and often about statistics in general - both footy and cricket!):

"In the years to come it will read 24.3 overs, 15 maidens, 32 runs and four wickets. But unless it was written in synovial fluid, tears, bone, tendon and blood, no one will ever understand how good Ryan Harris was today."

that should be printed and stuck on the walls of the aussie change rooms. pure guts and determination.

i wanna get this going on twitter and here:

#24.3notout

rhino.jpg

Well great, I don't have to read it now ! ;)

Was really sorry to hear this news, Rhino was such a tough competitor and one of my favourites. Hope he has a happy and successful post cricket career.

Tough bugger actually cracked his tibia from the bone on bone impacts of bowling. :eek:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2015/content/story/894143.html

Thanks for that link. Was scratching my head as to why exactly he had to retire (as in why or how he could have injured his knee badly enough to force retirement) given that he has played very little cricket since the end of the Australian summer but the detail in that article at makes a bit more sense of it now.

Was really sorry to hear this news, Rhino was such a tough competitor and one of my favourites. Hope he has a happy and successful post cricket career.

Thanks for that link. Was scratching my head as to why exactly he had to retire (as in why or how he could have injured his knee badly enough to force retirement) given that he has played very little cricket since the end of the Australian summer but the detail in that article at makes a bit more sense of it now.
Even with how bad then injury is he was at first still considering to try and come back to play again. Really loves being out there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a way I love the fact that he ended up playing the same number of tests and taking the same number of wickets as Bruce Reid.

It's one of the romantic parts of cricket that I enjoyed, like Don Bradman retiring with an average of 99.94 or New Zealand's highest individual score for so long being Martin Crowe's 299

Remove this Banner Ad

Back