Rookie Ryan Lester (2010-)

Remove this Banner Ad

i noted with interest that lester is uncontracted at the end of the year.

does anyone know where contract talks are with him, his he likely to re-sign. I read somewhere there could be a 'go-home' factor, does anyone know anything about that?

it would seem to me he has played sufficient games this year to warrant a contract, he seems to be the only one of his draft year yet to commit.

Wouldn't stress too much, seems pretty unlikely for him to be anywhere but at the Lions in 2013.

I was surprised when he missed out against West Coast. Some pretty stiff competition for the nom this week with Clay Smith going so well against the Swans. Certainly deserves it for the season's effort, though.

12moresigning.jpg

Hard at work - signing and dining - Players Sponsor Function [VIC] 12Aug2012 Brunswick St Oval

I was surprised when he missed out against West Coast. Some pretty stiff competition for the nom this week with Clay Smith going so well against the Swans. Certainly deserves it for the season's effort, though.

Sam Shaw from Adelaide gets it this week. I don't think there was much between him and Lester.

Sam Shaw from Adelaide gets it this week. I don't think there was much between him and Lester.

Michael Whiting was correct to point out Steven May from the Suns should've won although I think Shaw was a worthy nomination.

Lester's most obvious flaw imo is he takes a long time execute a disposal. Reminds me a bit of Stiller. Not sure if he is just knackered and there is scope for improvement, or he just doesn't have the motor coordination to move like a ninja.

Lester's most obvious flaw imo is he takes a long time execute a disposal. Reminds me a bit of Stiller. Not sure if he is just knackered and there is scope for improvement, or he just doesn't have the motor coordination to move like a ninja.

Whenever I see him with the ball coming out of defence I feel comfortable that a target will be hit and we won't lose possession. He never tries for a high risk option that will break the play open, but is good enough to spot someone up who can.

I think it's more of a Drummond like trait, just waiting to take the best option.

lester_guns-c.jpg

Pretty good photo from the Lions website for some Photoshop pros to mess around with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy with that. :thumbsu:

Is it just me or are all the new contracts only 2 years?

Could be player driven- most of the re-signings are young players with considerable room for improvement. Renegotiations in 2 years would allow form and contracts to align.

Could be right. I think Jed signed a 3 year deal but from memory Green, Beams, Leuey, Rich, Rockliff and Redden all signed 2 year contracts. If I was the club I'd be pushing for 3+ years for most of them.

Could be right. I think Jed signed a 3 year deal but from memory Green, Beams, Leuey, Rich, Rockliff and Redden all signed 2 year contracts. If I was the club I'd be pushing for 3+ years for most of them.

The club might want more flexibility in their contracting, in terms of the salary cap as well as list management.

Rob Kerr

“If you look at the stats probably over the last two seasons, we’ve been well down the order as far as clearances go, and Michael (Voss) has been fairly clear that he’d like to find a bigger bodied midfielder.”

“A couple of times during the year we threw Ryan Lester into the midfield mix, and while Ryan did ok, he’s still a young player developing his game.”

“We’d like to think that Ryan might end up there down the track, but a bit of time and effort needs to go into his development first before he’s ready for that.”

I'm glad to see the midfield experiment hasn't been abandoned, even if it has been put on the back burner for a while.

Ryan Lester 2012 End of Season Review
by Bert Man

2011 review

Senior games: 19
Goals: 3
Dreamteam: 1081
Supercoach: 1162
Club Best and Fairest votes:11

6693870829_5b1ceda64b_z.jpg

Image (2012 preseason) courtesy of Mr Ripper

After an injury riddled first year where Lester only managed 3 games he bounced back quite nicely this year. Lester played in a variety of different positions whether Lester plays in the backline, midfield or forward line Lester played his footy in 2012 to a high level.

In 2012 Lester played a total of 19 games for a return of 3 goals and an average of 15.2 disposals.

He played a good game up forward against Carlton where he kicked two goals. Ryan had several high points in Season 2012 one of those numerous high points was against West Coast in round ten when Lester was deployed to the midfield and did a wonderful job around the clearances with four clearances. He also got five clearances in round 12 against the strong Hawthorn midfield. Another high point in Lesters season was against the Gold Coast Suns when he did a terrific job across half back taking important marks. These two games were the best games of Lesters season by a long way in my opinion.

At times he can fade out of games. This is one of the of the weaknesses in Lesters game. Against Port Adelaide Lester collected a disappointing nine disposal game. Against the Western Bulldogs Lester also had a quite game collecting only ten disposals.

After a disappointing game against West Coast where Ryan collected 14 disposals he was relegated back to the reserves where he collected a more than encouraging 38 disposals. He was quickly rushed back into the senior side where he collected a solid 20 disposals against Carlton.

The coaching staff have a lot faith in him. The coaches love his hard work ethic.
Ryan is a genuine utility who has a lot of upside. With a really strong pre season Lester should be able to stay in games longer and improve on his encouraging 2012 season.

There is lot to like about Lester.

Hats off to Bert Man for his debut review.

I like the idea of Lester spending more time in the midfield over the next few years. Some posters have noted that our mids functioned best with Lester in there laying blocks and making a nuisance of himself. If he wants to increase his role and be the big bodied Moloney character in years to come, I would like to see him slowly put some mroe bulk on, without losing fitness, starting this preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back