Rookie Ryan Lester (2010-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Ryan 'Humphrey' Lester

Worth having in the team just for his flexibility. He did start pretty good last year up forward, although it's his work down back that sticks in my mind for some reason. If we could get a key forward (Brown) along with the resting ruckman (Bergs/Longer) tied in with a Karni/Lester combo it's pretty dangerous. Not the best defensive forward line though.

Video: Daniel Merrett

"(I was) really impressed with guys like Ryan Lester. I thought his work rate all day was really good."

6981710557_39925412aa.jpg

Live chat

Comment From coops
what position are you most likely to play this season?

Hey Coops, I'm not too sure where I will be playing this year.I did most of my pre season training as a forward however i've been playing all over the park in the pre season matches. So i think I will be similar to Brent Staker and maybe play at both ends of the field as the year progresses.

Comment From Rob
Ryan, congratulations on your pre-season form. Coming into your second year at the club, have you done anything different this year to prepare for the season proper?

Thanks Rob. Pre season this year was alot different to last year because I was able to do alot more of the training this year as my body load didnt have to be managed as much. It was also good that I didnt have to spend too much time in the gym as i did all that gym work whilst I was injured!

Comment From rodney
who at the club has taken you under their wing and provided you with most advice and looked after you?

Hey Rodney,
Matt Maguire has been really good to be since ive been at the club. As i am number 35 and he is 36 we see alot of each other in the locker room and hes always good for a chat.

Comment From Max
Hi Ryan, I've seen you spend a little bit of time on ball occasionally. Is this something you'd like to build on?

Hey Max,I played alot of my junior football as a midfielder so hopefully in the future I can maybe sneak abit more time in their.But I think our midfield is very strong at the moment so its hard to break in just yet!

6693870829_5b1ceda64b.jpg

What about Sam Gilbert as a player comparison. Both are versatile, Gilbert is an excellent mark, Ryan seems pretty well equipped in this area too. They look pretty similar.

What about Sam Gilbert as a player comparison. Both are versatile, Gilbert is an excellent mark, Ryan seems pretty well equipped in this area too. They look pretty similar.
Not a bad comparison. Gilbert is probably the better athlete and relies on that athleticism whilst Lester plays a bit more like an old fashioned footballer - knowing where to be and what to do. But I reckon the comparison fits.

I think he moves a bit like Hurley. Hurley's clearly a better mark and better player (at this stage) but I seem similarities in how they move.

Was very composed with the ball down back against Freo. Definitely playing the Staker role. Hopefully he can get a bit more of the footy.

Yeah, once again I thought he looked comfortable down back. Composed with the footy and really capable in the contest. Wouldn't mind seeing him given a burst on a wing at some stage.

Yeah, once again I thought he looked comfortable down back. Composed with the footy and really capable in the contest. Wouldn't mind seeing him given a burst on a wing at some stage.

The only hesitation I have with that is that Lester doesn't strike me as the player thats going to go on the wing and break the lines. He's more likely to get run down by the small forwards in the press.

When Patfull came off yesterday, Lester went to CHB. Struggled a bit, but it's the first sign that Voss reckons he can play a genuine KPP role. Will be interesting to see if he plays there again this season.

I thought he was brilliant yesterday. Did the job defensively and was great offensively as well. Seemed to be better off for the weeks break. His role is pretty invaluable as well to free up Drummond, Hanley, McGrath or Adcock.

It was interesting to hear that Lester played on Priddis in the midfield. There had been talk of him doing that when he was drafted, but I never really believed it would actually happen. Priddis was WC's best player, so I don't want to get too carried away, but it's an exciting development in Lester's career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was interesting to hear that Lester played on Priddis in the midfield. There had been talk of him doing that when he was drafted, but I never really believed it would actually happen. Priddis was WC's best player, so I don't want to get too carried away, but it's an exciting development in Lester's career.

Agreed. Priddis has got a good engine and covers an enormous amount of ground, so that was a strong vote of confidence in Humphrey. I thought he was ok today, bearing in mind the gap in experience.

Was watching him early when he started in the center square, wasn't really playing a hard tag, but seemed to just hold his opponent away from the ball and create space in front of them. Rich would try shark the tap and Raines tagging.

Gets in hard after the ball Lester, and as i've said before, just plays the percentages. He is nothing fancy, he is just an honest old fashioned footballer that does the right things, plays well beyond his experience. One of my favourite players this year, if he can get into some midfield rotations as well it's a big plus. I do remember hearing at the time that the club thought both Lester and Karni could play midfield, will be a big win if we can get that to happen.

I am sold!!

This guy is the real deal.....he will be the next Joel Corey....if we have not done so already we must ensure we sign him....clubs will be circling on him......he just needs to improve his disposal but man he knows how to get the ball!

Same goes for Mitch Golby...and so many of our young guns

I thought Lester was great on the weekend. He wasn't exclusively playing a defensive role on Priddis rather guarding him at the stoppages. Granted, Priddis had an influence. He finds the ball and generally does the right thing with it. Combative as well which I love.

Round 12 team

Code:
B:      Golby (41)         Maguire (36)   McKeever (40)
HB:     Drummond (39)      Patfull (24)   Adcock (7)
C:      Rockliff (38)      Lester (35)    Hanley (11)
HF:     Zorko (15)         Brown (16)     Polec (4)
F:      Polkinghorne (31)  Merrett (21)   Cornelius (44)
Foll:   Hudson (22)        Raines (29)    Rich (10)
Int:    Harwood (2)        Green (6)
        Redden (30)        Bewick (43)

Great to see Lester named at 'pivot' (as it used to be called) again for this match. At 191cm he gives the midfield group a point of difference, and his height may be what gives him a bit of an edge as he develops. It'll be interesting to see who he lines up on, and I'll be taking particular interest in how he fares.

I think what Lester really offers us is a defensively minded player that knows how to get the ball. Having performed so well down back he has great accountability so will try not to let his man off the leash too much but also knows when to run off and attack himself. You need these kind of players in your midfield rotation and I don't think we have many of them. Rockliff/Rich are more attacking players, where as you could say Redden is quite defensively minded (thanks to all his tackles). Lester's really good in there and I hope he goes well again.

This kid is going to be some player for us. Hes flying a bit under the radar at the moment, but hes going to be the Mr Fixit for us over the next 7+ years. Couple more preseasons and hes really going to dominate.

I feel the same way, Beng. I think the Lions are doing the right thing throwing him in the midfield. He's starting to learn to throw his weight around.

He's 19 years old and 83kg. Once he's 21 and 93 he'll be very difficult to push off the ball.

i noted with interest that lester is uncontracted at the end of the year.

does anyone know where contract talks are with him, his he likely to re-sign. I read somewhere there could be a 'go-home' factor, does anyone know anything about that?

it would seem to me he has played sufficient games this year to warrant a contract, he seems to be the only one of his draft year yet to commit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back