Delisted Ahmed Saad

Remove this Banner Ad

stkildathunda

DEMPSTERED
10k Posts St Kilda Saints - Tom Ledger 2012 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2011 Player Sponsor St Kilda Saints - Nicholas Heyne 2010 Player Sponsor
Sep 7, 2008
Inside The Circle Of Zen
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Man Utd
Ahmed Saad (VIC - Fwd)
Height: 176cm
Weight: 76kg
DOB: 09/10/1989
Recruited from: Northern Bullants

Bio: Mature-age draft hopeful from Melbourne's northern suburbs who only started playing football five years ago after switching codes from soccer. Played for the Northern Bullants in their VFL grand final loss to North Ballarat.

2011 AFL Draft Combine Results
1st in 30m Repeat Sprint Test at 23.64 sec
1st in 20m Sprint at 2.86 sec
2nd in Agility Run at 7.86 sec
9th in Standing Vertical Jump at 70cm

Re: Ahmed Saad

I don't, but am quite happy to have him on the list. He's not been playing that long at a high-ish standard, but he seems to have the athleticism that will enable him to build quickly on a year of development on an AFL list. Surely Milney can't last forever! (notwithstanding that he's been able to keep proving the doubters wrong).

Re: Ahmed Saad

Rise of Ahmed Saad all the way to St Kilda

The rise of Ahmed Saad from suburban footballer to St Kilda player has been as rapid as it has been unconventional.

Spending a fair chunk of his childhood in Eqypt, Saad a practicing Muslim never went through the elite junior AFL programs and just three years ago was playing for EDFL B-grade side Roxburgh Park, trying to master a game that he took up at the ripe ‘old’ age of 16.

Three goals and named in the Bullants best, this game was to be the turning point for Ahmed Saad, he was to never again play VFL Reserves and by the end of the 2011 season he had played 35 games for the Bullants for a return of 73-goals and a contract with St Kilda.

Let the immense upward curve continue. Seems like a very motivated young guy too.

user_14087_QDMW8NJ4.jpg

out of interest can anyone remember how old milney was when he really became a regular in the senior side? 22/23?

So considering Milney is at the end of his career i reckon we will get 100 games and hopefully 200 goals from this little guy!

top stuff.

Milne was 21, and once he got one game the coach forgot to drop him.
( Debut round 4 , missed 15 and 16 after a 4 disposal effort against the Lions )
First season 17 games , 27 goals.

One thing I did notice about Saad the other day, is that he didn't seem to take marks all that cleanly.

Think he's more of a crumber, can't think of many other lead up small forwards like Milney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He looks very good, I'd want to see a little more of him to know if he was deserved of a top 22 spot or not but he must be pretty close.

Is he going to be nicknamed 'The Cleaning Lady' (Saad = Saady = Sadie the Cleaning Lady)
What about Ahmed Saad the Armored Guard

Hey Guys just wanted to know his doing. i watched him closley for the bullants last year and really enjoyed his crumbing work and is a super talent but i havent had the chance to see him again. Hows he performing ? any chance for a senior call up ?

Hey Guys just wanted to know his doing. i watched him closley for the bullants last year and really enjoyed his crumbing work and is a super talent but i havent had the chance to see him again. Hows he performing ? any chance for a senior call up ?

Kicked 3 goals in the VFL last week (2 late when the game was in the balance) and was named as an emergency this week.

Although according to reports from VFL games he hasn't been incredibly impressive, but to be named as emergency he must be doing something that the coaches are asking for.

Would hope he gets a chance at senior level sometime this year.

I wish we had of rookied him when we had the chance (at the end of 2010). But I guess unless he can demonstrate that he can push into the midfield and play as an outside line-breaking mid he wouldn't really fill a need in our squad.

I hope he tears it up for the Sainters though - he's a great bloke!

Ahmed Saad

Vz1qb.jpg

I must admit, after we finalized the trade for Saad and Milera I got extremely excited when I read all the good things said about Saad. He sounded like an excitement machine with pace and tricks up his sleeve. I had high expectations for Saad, and it makes me very happy to say he has met if not surpassed them. From his first full game in round 7 against Carlton I think we all knew we had a genuine player on our hands. Along with his mate Terry Milera he added some much needed pace and x-factor to the Saints side.

At times inconsistent, you can't expect a first year player to kick goals every week like Milney. The main features of Saad's game are his pace, goal sense, manic tackling and pressure on the ball carrier, and his highly unusual yet highly effective set shot run up. Claiming that he doesn't count the steps but that they always seem to end up between 28 and 32, Saad says he concentrates on something behind the goals. Well if it ain't broke don't fix it. Kicking 28 goals in 16 games for the Saints this year, Ahmed was presented with the Most Promising Player Award. Only picking up the game late into his teens, the Egyptian born 22 year old looks to have a lot of improvement left in him.

St Kilda's older smalls Milney and Schneider had mentoring roles with Saad and Milera this year, being dubbed "the rat pack" by the media, I think our small forward base shows great promise for years to come. After experiencing his first year in the AFL, I think Saad looks ready to take another step up in 2013. Especially because he can kick on his left now, so other teams should watch out ;)

Season Rating: 9/10

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-01-10/ahmed-saad

On the rise: Ahmed Saad

By Mark Macgugan 10:16am AEDT Thursday, January 10, 2013

On the rise: Ahmed Saad

At a glance: A latecomer to Australian football having represented Egypt in soccer as a youth, Saad caught recruiters' attention with a 50-goal season for the Northern Bullants in 2011. After he ran the quickest time over 20m at the NAB AFL Combine later that year, St Kilda signed him via a trade deal with Greater Western Sydney. The move has already started to pay dividends, with the small forward booting 28 goals in 16 games last season to take out the club's most promising player award. The 23-year-old overcame some challenges to make an impact in his first year. An injury during pre-season slowed him down, and he had to wait until round six to debut. A practicing Muslim, he then went 30 days without consuming food or water during daylight hours for Ramadan in July/August. All the while, Saad continued to provide a vital injection of speed to the Saints' forward line. His lengthy set shot routine also gained attention, but proved extremely effective.

Plays like: He's no carbon copy, but Saad looms as the long-term replacement for the club's champion small forward Stephen Milne. The pair worked a lot together over the past year and form an imposing combination at ground level inside forward 50.......

Saad ordered to speed up -

PROMISING St Kilda forward Ahmed Saad has been forced to change his goalkicking routine because of a clampdown on players taking too long kicking for goal.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news...s-set-shots-20130227-2f6aq.html#ixzz2M6fftHat

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-05/i-wont-change-my-action-saad

Ahmed Saad won't change his actual goalkicking routine this season but will make sure he completes it quickly enough to avoid being called to play on.

"Rather than take my time getting back, I'll just take the mark and get back a little bit quicker and just start quicker,"

"I'm not going to try and change it too much because it works."

Saad said he was aware of the interest in his method, especially given the feedback from his teammates.

"They all make jokes like that, especially if I'm having a shot at training,"

"They all roll over on the ground like they're sleeping or say they're walking off but if anything it pumps me up a bit more and makes me want to kick it so I can rub it in their faces a little bit."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back