Traded Sam Mayes (2012-2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

My understanding is that Sam has had issues to deal with from a family perspective previously and stuck fat with our club when it would have been easier to bail out when things were really shite.
One thing I have learned in this life is that there are three sides to every story.
And then there is Big Footy!

I'd be disappointed to see him go but I can certainly understand why. He's not had a good run with consistent footy with us, and might stand for a career reboot at another club. If he can somehow be built into this potential 3 way trade between us, Port and Freo that I have heard about where we end up with Neale, it could work for all of us.

Player Reviews: Lewy Taylor, Sam Mayes and Zac Bailey
#32 - Sam Mayes
Sam Mayes had an exceptional 2017 season and finished fifth overall in the 2017 Merrett Murray Medal count but struggled to recapture his best form in 2018. The running defender started the season off in the Senior side and performed well with 19 disposals against St Kilda in Round 1.

After a quiet performance in the blowout loss to Richmond in Round 4, Mayes was moved back to the NEAFL. Senior Coach Chris Fagan wanted more from Mayes, especially in the contested area of his game. "Fages was pretty clear on the areas I needed to work on," Mayes said at the time. "It's disappointing to start with but if you dwell on it rather than get working on those areas, you're probably going to find yourself there [in the NEAFL] for a lot longer than you hope to."

In going back to the NEAFL, this meant he was stuck on 99 career games for a good couple of months until he was recalled to reach his 100-game milestone for Round 12’s match against Essendon. Mayes performed well in the match and again two weeks later against the Giants, but that was to be his last Senior appearance of the year.

In his six Senior matches, he averaged 16 disposals, four marks and 1.5 tackles a game. While in the NEAFL, Mayes impressed with his leadership and experience. In 13 matches he averaged 23 disposals, eight marks and 3.5 tackles a game.

Senior matches: 6, NEAFL matches: 13

He stuck by the club when so many other players didn't. Hope he's super successful at port.

I hope he wins a Brownlow in a non-finals team. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Mayes traded to Port Adelaide (Josie Fielding)
The Brisbane Lions have reached an agreement with Port Adelaide which will allow Sam Mayes to return home to South Australia and be closer to family. The Lions will exchange Mayes and Pick No. 5 at this year’s AFL Draft in return for Pick No. 6, 35 and a future third round selection (Fremantle's on traded to Port Adelaide).

General Manager of Football David Noble thanked the defender for his commitment over the past six seasons. “We would like to thank Sam for his efforts and contributions over the years at our Club,” Noble said. “During a challenging period at the Club Sam stood up, continued playing with the Lions and we are grateful for his loyalty. “The mark of a good player is reaching 100 AFL games and Sam achieved this milestone earlier this year in Round 12 against Essendon. “Another highlight for Sam was finishing in the top five of our 2017 Club Champion Award. “We were happy to work with him to get the right outcome for him and his family and facilitate a trade. “We wish Sam, his partner Cassie and his family in South Australia all the best for the future.”

Mayes was selected with the Lions’ first-round selection (Pick No. 8) at the 2012 AFL National Draft. In his six seasons he played 101 AFL games and kicked 26 goals.

All the best Sam - class right to the end.

Yep, he is a classy bloke... I read this on facebook and put here to share.... if that's not Kosher mods then remove.

Craig Huggins
Conversation starter ·

23 hrs
The last match of 2014 was a memorable day for my son Tye and me, even though Geelong smashed us at Kardinia Park in our last game wearing the Paddle Pop Lion jumper. It was August 30th, his 12th birthday and I took him and his mate to the game and stayed the weekend at the beach. That week my Dad was placed in high care (and would pass away soon after), and Tye was quite upset about it. During the drive to Geelong, a friend rang and offered us her seats in a fully catered outdoor sponsor box on the wing because she suddenly couldn’t go. It was a great view. We bought the Footy Record, and unknown to us, in it was a photo of Tye in a section called ‘Local Legends ’holding his clubs Premiership Cup that they’d won the week before, so he started collecting copies, 6 in all. After the game we bumped into Matt Maguire who I knew well. He was injured but said ‘come into the rooms with me’. Only family and staff were being let in. All the players we mingling with their families, but all by himself in a corner was Sam Mayes. Tye went up to him and asked why he was alone, and Sam explained that he was from Adelaide and had no family there, and Tye said “That’s sad, well I’ll keep you company. It’s my birthday today, I’m 12”. Sam Mayes replied “It’s your birthday mate?”. He then took off his guernsey and handed it to Tye “Happy birthday champ”. Tye was speechless. Sam got down on his knees and said ‘thanks for your support’, and they chatted for a while. Justin Clarke walked by them, and Sam said “Hey Clarkie, it’s Tye’s birthday”. “Really?” was the response. He put his hand in his kit bag and put his players issue cap, with a big 42 on it, on Tye's head. “There you go mate”. Sam then signed the jumper. When we were leaving, we walked past the players bus and Tye waived to Sam, and said to me that he felt bad that he hadn’t given Sam anything. He then said “hang on dad” and beckoned Sam out of the bus. Sam came and Tye said “Would you like a copy of the Footy Record, I’ve got lots and I’m in it”. Sam says “sure’, and Tye showed him the photo, and Sam replies “can you autograph it for me?”. So Tye did! The class Sam Mayes showed to this little kid was fabulous, and I’ve heard so many great stories about Mayesy. We’re both really upset to see Sam leave the Lions, but he’ll always remain a favourite because of this little gesture of friendliness that meant so much.

very sad to see him leave, but if it wasnt working for him it wasnt working for him, hope he gets the second wind he needs and fulfills his potential

Remove this Banner Ad

Back