Sam Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Gnome Murphy

All Australian
Apr 14, 2003
Other Teams
bullies "thanks B2"
What is everyones thoughts on this guy

He dosent get talked much about on this site ,he dosent seem to get the girlies like Guido and robbo, and people leave him out of there side when picking the best 22

I think he can play

Any other thoughts on him?

Sam has huge potential, but like a lot of our players, he needs to get physically stronger and develop a little more guts.

Sometimes this year when I saw him play he looked a little tentative and unsure of himself at close one-on-one contests and at marking situations.

One thing I remain undecided on about Sam Power is where is his best position?

Sam can play for certain. His ability with his hands is almost Atkins like but unlike Axe he handballs flat so he is a little quicker to get rid of the ball.

Just needs a bit of confidence and self belief.

I think he's got the same problem as Chris Grant. He's a bit too 'nice'. Chris is a great player and never backs away from a contest, but I think a large part of what keeps him a step behind the great CHFs is that he just doesn't have that competitive mongrel streak in him. I'm certainly not bagging Chris; I think he's probably been our best player over the last 12 years and I can't wait to get him back, but I think some of his (very minor) faults are largely mental. Sam also has a lot of potential but he lacks a mean streak.

Mitch Hahn has it, Shaggy has it, and I suspect Harris has a bit. They don't mind crunching someone or bending the rules a little (and I'm not saying they're dirty) to win. Unfortunately they don't have Sam's natural ability.

Sam, Gilbs, and a few others seem very keen and aren't scared to put themselves in a contest, but won't go that step further and do whatever it takes to win.

I still think Sam will be a great player. He's got a lot of skill and, as has been said a few times, when he bulks up a bit and gets some confidence he will be very damaging. I just hope he can develop that killer instinct, because from what I've seen that's what will stop him from being a real gun.

I love watching Power play...

When he started I thought he may have been just a hack 4-5 year player that gets a few kicks but would never be like his older brother...

However now i've seen his potential, my position for him is along the HBF.. In my picked 22 I had him in the side (Wing I think, or maybe bench), and he plays as a "Sweeper" type role... He'll do that same role as his brother in Brisbane... I didn't put him in his best position because I don't rate him ahead of Smith, and Koops adds that aggressiveness backlines need..

I saw him in a game this year (can't remember who), but he picked up the easiest 20 possessions from the backline to midfield, and just done it by natural ability...

Like Anja, I think he needs a little more grunt, but as a looseman in our backline, he could be severely damaging and break the lines of oppositions... and play a key role in directing traffic towards our forward 50..

He'll be a Bulldog for a very long time and be a loyal servant for the club and I just wish his older brother would come down and help him!!!!:p

I saw Sam Power play in the U18's carnival and dominate off a half back flank and know in a couple of years he'll be doing the same thing for the Doggies. As has been mentioned, all he needs is to gain a few more pounds and obtain the self-confidence and he'll be one of our stars.

I am a huge fan of Sam and i believe he will be a top player for us. He has shown glimpses of what he is able to do (That Melbourne game this year he was one of our best). He has tremendous foot skills and i would imagine will start doing the kicking out for us in his carear.

He just needs to fill out and will be a great player. I see him as a Half Back Flank/Wingman.

I can see him being an extremely good footballer in the next few years. Probably the lack of harder, older bodies around him over the past two years have slowed down his progress a bit. IMO he still is a bit timid in the one on ones, he has a go but just can't cut it yet.

Pros
Superb skills
Kicks long
Tall for a player of his ilk

Cons
Still too light
Not nasty enough
Decision making is a bit suspect under pressure.

Hopefully next year Rohde will be able to match him up on more appropriate players so he can develop a bit of confidence. He is tall, but plays more like a small.

I see him walking around every now and then at uni. It's suprising just how big he looks when he's only a few feet away. He has a fairly large frame (i.e. broad shoulders) and I get the feeling he may be a player who will fill out more easily than some of our other young midfielders.

Sam may very well be a good player one day but the reality is that he has shown very little so far. A few touches here and there the odd goal but not alot to write home about.
Mind you he has has plenty of mates the past two seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Kretiuk #35
I love watching Power play...

When he started I thought he may have been just a hack 4-5 year player that gets a few kicks but would never be like his older brother...

However now i've seen his potential, my position for him is along the HBF.. In my picked 22 I had him in the side (Wing I think, or maybe bench), and he plays as a "Sweeper" type role... He'll do that same role as his brother in Brisbane... I didn't put him in his best position because I don't rate him ahead of Smith, and Koops adds that aggressiveness backlines need..

I saw him in a game this year (can't remember who), but he picked up the easiest 20 possessions from the backline to midfield, and just done it by natural ability...

Like Anja, I think he needs a little more grunt, but as a looseman in our backline, he could be severely damaging and break the lines of oppositions... and play a key role in directing traffic towards our forward 50..

He'll be a Bulldog for a very long time and be a loyal servant for the club and I just wish his older brother would come down and help him!!!!:p
Kretiuk35 has said it all for me. I've been watching him all year (and his brother :() and he's got a big future.

I'm grooming him to be my favourite player when Bubba retires.
:( :(

Originally posted by SonOfScray

Decision making is a bit suspect under pressure.
I reckon he is a victim of the same thing Murphy and Gilbee were at times this season.They get the ball in space look up see no tall marking options and are playing under a game plan that requires them to spot up a short option.Thats not an easy thing to do especially if your young and down on confidence which certainly looked the case on a few turnovers from Power and Gilbee this season.I have barely ever seen Gilbee handpass in the reserves but in the seniors he made a couple of uncertain rushed handpasses that looked shocking.They will be fine once they settle in and find a nieche IMO.

What role do you see Sam Power playing for us when he establishes himself as a quality senior footballer? Who from the current line up would you liken his prospects to?Same goes for Gilbee.

Gilbee goes alright, his long kicking is probably his best attribute but he could probably end up being one of our stronger players; he has a bit more of a solid build than the others around his age. Much like we love seing Bubba let rip from outside 50, I can see future supporters going "GIIIIILLBOOOOO" as he kicks goals on the run from well outside the 50 arc.

Originally posted by SonOfScray
What role do you see Sam Power playing for us when he establishes himself as a quality senior footballer? Who from the current line up would you liken his prospects to?Same goes for Gilbee.

Most people on this board like to think of Power becoming a winger but I dont think he is suited to that.Everything I have seen suggests he will blossom into a nice sized half back flanker.He is smart enough to know when to stay with his man and when to attack and the general consensus is that once he settles in we will see the brilliant disposal he is renowned for.IMO he probably lacks a yard for a winger in this day and age.I think Local likened his hands to Atkins but I see a fair bit of Matty Knights in the way he holds onto it to give someone a bit of space.Not saying he is a Knights type player just he has similar abilities with his disposal.Probably agree with the consensus that he needs a decent injection of the c word at this stage.

Gilbee I see as being more versatile because he can carry the ball and as you pointed out has devestating depth in his kicking.The first time I saw him my impression was he is ideally suited to a wing but he has shown the ability to play hbf in short bursts.I know some doubt him at this stage of his career and see him as just an average player but I see a fair bit more in him.Needs to back himself more even if it means getting run down a couple of times.I remember when Wallace took over as coach he basically gave Johnson and Smith a license to run and run!Gilbee and a guy like Mcmahon are going to be two players who can really split the game open for us.I would take a lower finish purely to atleast give these two a shot at playing in the positions we want them to develop in.

Originally posted by Dog Town
I reckon he is a victim of the same thing Murphy and Gilbee were at times this season.They get the ball in space look up see no tall marking options and are playing under a game plan that requires them to spot up a short option.Thats not an easy thing to do especially if your young and down on confidence which certainly looked the case on a few turnovers from Power and Gilbee this season.I have barely ever seen Gilbee handpass in the reserves but in the seniors he made a couple of uncertain rushed handpasses that looked shocking.They will be fine once they settle in and find a nieche IMO.

Couldnt agree more. With Darce, Bandy and Rawlings up forward, guys like Gilbee, Smith and Robbins should be making 90m plays much more often - run 30, bang it 60.

Putting him on the wing might take the pressure off a bit. He wouldn't have to play the whole game there because we have a lot of players we can rotate through that position. Young Sammy doesn't seem to attack the footy with much conviction. I think its lack of confidence as much as its lack of mongrel. Bringing him up the ground should help him to get involved in the game more...so he can develop some confidence.

Saw him kill at the under 18 championships a few years back.

Will be very good, BUT he gets very nervous early in games and if he makes a quick error early on, it gets to him and then seems a bit fragile for long periods afterwards. I remember thinking that at several times during the year.
The Melbourne game that we won suddenly showed a sudden change in the nerves and and body language he seemed to usually show.
I Reckon its just starting to really 'click' and if he takes that into preseason then he will improve very quickly to a quality player.

are Angry Pills banned by the Aussie Sports Drugs Comission? If not, I'd like to persoanlly donate a few hundred boxes to the Club.

I absolutley agree on what the majority of posters think about Power, his positive attributes will be better exploited when he has some more quality and experience next to him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back