Heafy83

Premiership Player
May 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts, Liverpool, Bulls
May seem a little weird to toast this but hear me out. Just watched Sanderson's press conference after the game from yesterday and found it so refreshing as a supporter to have someone interview so well with personality and to speak the truth.

Now this isn't to bag on Craigy. I admire Neil and initially believed the club axed him too early.

However to go from Craig to Sanderson is like a breath of fresh air. The guy has a personality, was upfront, straight to the point, never used a cliche and I felt satisfied and positive coming away from it as a supporter.

He recognised our weakness and what we are going to work on during the week (tackling). He also recognised that this week, showdown week, isn't a normal week and like every other game. Something I used to hate hearing from previous coaches.

I mostly loved the lack of cliches and how if he didn't know the answer he was upfront and said he would have to go back and review it.

So just a little pat on the back for Sando as this will go a long way to keeping a supporter base on your side no matter the situation :thumbsu:

I agree! I very rarely watched/listened to Craig's press conferences because of the way he spoke in them . I'd listen to them on the way home from home games, but wouldn't go out of my way to find the video on the net to re-listen to them. But this year, I'm searching high & low for all of Sando's pressers - love the way he speaks!

I got SO excited when I saw the Crows tweet that Sando said Showdown week is not just another week - FINALLY a coach who seems to use emotion! Speaking of emotion - the emotion he showed when Tippett kicked a couple of his goals, he was just like the supporters in the crowd! :thumbsu::D

I agree! I very rarely watched/listened to Craig's press conferences because of the way he spoke in them . I'd listen to them on the way home from home games, but wouldn't go out of my way to find the video on the net to re-listen to them. But this year, I'm searching high & low for all of Sando's pressers - love the way he speaks!

I got SO excited when I saw the Crows tweet that Sando said Showdown week is not just another week - FINALLY a coach who seems to use emotion! Speaking of emotion - the emotion he showed when Tippett kicked a couple of his goals, he was just like the supporters in the crowd! :thumbsu::D

Yeah wasn't that great when he pumped his fists and clapped when Tippo put the first one through. Really shows he is right behind the boys.

Its an emotional game so I'm not sure why more coaches don't use or display it.

Hopefully this emotion sparks up what has been a lack luster showdown fixture for a few years now.

And a coach who has experienced a showdown from the other side. He also know and understands how they use emotion to pump them up for this game. hopefully he can counter this and use it as a positive.

Neil Craig was also mesmerizing to listen to during his first 2 or 3 years as coach.

Correct, Craig was interesting in the first few years because he was different...... e.g. showdown is just another game, need to take the emotion out, don't use landmark games for motivation as players shouldn't need extra motivation, clubs don't need to rebuild etc. etc

What started as refreshing and different - because it went against conventional wisdom - could have been validated if we had won the big matches or stayed near the top, but it eventually led to mediocrity.

Sando might be more conventional, but I agree it is refreshing to hear uncomplicated plain-speaking truth.

I thought Sando was very strategic as he could have quite easily accepted the 4 points and excused certain aspects of the game based on the weather

The questioning of our tackling and intent is most certainly aimed at getting the team on the edge for this weeks showdown

This week is a perfect game to right a few wrongs from the Hawthorn clash

Not sure if he mentioned this in the presser, but sando said in the interview in the crows shed post game that he delivered his first spray to the boys at half time. The boys said it was a beauty. This was met with pretty warm applause by the shed crowd!

Did he comment on his coaching over the last two weeks?

Let hawks have the spare man and do as they wanted and in the second quarter yesterday let us bomob the ball to their 2 or 3 free men in defence time after time after time without changing anything.

Our forwards also after 1st quarter stopped leading and left it for the bomb it long game plan. He has a lot of work to do.

I have faith in him don't get me wrong but there's a lot that's not right at the minute.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did he comment on his coaching over the last two weeks?

Let hawks have the spare man and do as they wanted and in the second quarter yesterday let us bomob the ball to their 2 or 3 free men in defence time after time after time without changing anything.

Our forwards also after 1st quarter stopped leading and left it for the bomb it long game plan. He has a lot of work to do.

I have faith in him don't get me wrong but there's a lot that's not right at the minute.

I dont think Sando has had his best few weeks in the box, but we have a lot of dumb and lazy footballers.

IN one play in the third qr Sloane had to stop his forward thrust on the boundary because there was none up ahead - he is a good decision maker - he then gave off to another player in our team who kicked it forward to 3 of their players who were on thier own - a really dumb kick.

Although it was a dumb kick where were our lazy players who were not preapred to run forward hard enough to get to this contest.

I think Sando is seeing that some of our players are mentally weak. They cannot keep thier intensity going for week after week and when the pressure is really applied they wilt.

I am looking forward to the day however when he makes some really good attacking moves that really change the course ofthe game.

e

I dont think Sando has had his best few weeks in the box, but we have a lot of dumb and lazy footballers.

IN one play in the third qr Sloane had to stop his forward thrust on the boundary because there was none up ahead - he is a good decision maker - he then gave off to another player in our team who kicked it forward to 3 of their players who were on thier own - a really dumb kick.

Although it was a dumb kick where were our lazy players who were not preapred to run forward hard enough to get to this contest.

I think Sando is seeing that some of our players are mentally weak. They cannot keep thier intensity going for week after week and when the pressure is really applied they wilt.

I am looking forward to the day however when he makes some really good attacking moves that really change the course ofthe game.

e

The aforementioned player you speak of was Tippett. Just banged it on the boot, and Dermott immediately pointed out the differences in player IQ.

Not sure if he mentioned this in the presser, but sando said in the interview in the crows shed post game that he delivered his first spray to the boys at half time. The boys said it was a beauty. This was met with pretty warm applause by the shed crowd!

Sando also mentioned it when he got interviewed directly after the siren went at full time

The aforementioned player you speak of was Tippett. Just banged it on the boot, and Dermott immediately pointed out the differences in player IQ.

What Dermott failed to point out was Tippo was surrounded by 3 GWS players so if he didn't kick it he would have been caught holding the ball so he was damned if he did damned if he didn't.

Wait whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :eek:

Yep I believed, past tense, that we did axe him too early at the time. Thought with such a young crop of players the team had moved on to it would have been good to give him one or two years more.

However now I believe it is the right move. A fresh face with fresh ideas has really brought life back to the club. Also seems the players get on better with Sando than with Neil. This is all from an outsiders perspective.

I, however, never enjoyed Craig's press conferences. Found them dull and very mono-tone. His ideas etc at the time were revolutionary and really did change the game as we know it. Its just a shame other teams perfected it before we could lol

Agreed. But I'd like to point out,

Sando's career as senior coach = 4 games
Dumb & Lazy footballers... > 4 games

He's still learning to be a senior coach, directing people who should have learned to be footballers by now.

His ideas etc at the time were revolutionary and really did change the game as we know it. Its just a shame other teams perfected it before we could lol

Best two line description of Neil's reign I've read so far.

Agreed. But I'd like to point out,

Sando's career as senior coach = 4 games
Dumb & Lazy footballers... > 4 games

He's still learning to be a senior coach, directing people who should have learned to be footballers by now.

Best two line description of Neil's reign I've read so far.

Cheers. Appreciate that :thumbsu:

I didn't hear the press conference, but did any of the journos ask him about the decision to select three talls, and then, the forward structure that he insisted on for most of the day?

And are posters slightly worried about it?

It was massive blunder, even for a first year coach.

I didn't hear the press conference, but did any of the journos ask him about the decision to select three talls, and then, the forward structure that he insisted on for most of the day?

And are posters slightly worried about it?

It was massive blunder, even for a first year coach.

Yes they did and he acknowledged they went in too tall and took the blame for it. With Callinan being a late withdrawal it put them in a difficult position.

Also no one expected Petrenko to go down in the first few minutes which I think hurt a lot considering the day it was.

His reasoning was he thought they could exploit GWS in that area, particularly in the ruck he said. He wanted to leave Tippett deep forward all day which did basically happen. In a round about way he was right. Tippett destroyed them and if Walker kicked straight he would have had a day out also. McKernan was just useless all day though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back