Oct 13, 2001
Lions
Unfortunate for the Big Sauce:(

I thought he was really growing into the role as a key forward over the last two or three games.

In the GWS game he presented really well and "almost" pulled in 4 or 5 big marks up forward. A case of what could have been.

Then last night, he was really looking the goods.....showed nice clean hands, clunked a few good marks and kicked two ripper long goals. Reckon our on-ballers and midfielders were starting to feel the love. It wouldn't have been beyond the realms of possibility for the Sauce to have kicked a bag last night.

Significantly (IMO), when he went down early in the third, that's when the tide turned against us. We seemed to lose confidence in the "long" target and really went back into our shells.

Much has been made of our need to find a replacement for Brown but maybe we should be taking the view that we already have him, and what we really should be looking for is another KPD to fill Merrett's shoes.

Key defenders might just be easier to find in the ND than the next big "star" CHF or FF that every club seems to be seeking.

Merrett/Staker forward line has been working well, I think unless we land a big name key forward we will go after a defender. Even without thinking about Merrett forward, we will need a couple of defenders to take over in the next 3 years or so anyway. Sauce and Patfull aren't spring chickens anymore, and Goose is on his last leg, so either way we will need some replacements, so I think we might draft a defender and look to get another via trade or FA.

Gang, also remember Merrett is 29 so he's basically rooted as well, not to mention he is losing that closing speed. We need 2 forwards and a tall defender stat!