Free Agency Scott Selwood signed with Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh yeah .. it won't be a trade .. It's free agency.. so just a "hope for the best" in terms of compo .. End of first round may snare Jetta ... but after this past weeks controversy .. I dunno

Oh yeah .. it won't be a trade .. It's free agency.. so just a "hope for the best" in terms of compo .. End of first round may snare Jetta ... but after this past weeks controversy .. I dunno
Pick 20 may well get Motlop. Serious loss for Geelong if he wants out.

Pick 20 may well get Motlop. Serious loss for Geelong if he wants out.
That unders too.

If Scooter gets to GFC, they had better have offered Mots more than Scooter.

BE some unhappy Catters if that does not happen.

Go Catters

If we got that compo would be around pick 20.

Pick 13-18 and pick 20.

What could we get with that?

I'd be happy to go to the draft.
Can you please write a list?

Why do we want Jetta?

I'd rather keep pick 20 and use it in the draft.

Why do we want Jetta?

I'd rather keep pick 20 and use it in the draft.

Pick 20 is a kind of gamble tbh, as history would dictate. Jetta would fill Josh Hills role nicely (Although Hill hasn't been that bad at all)

I'm a bit behind in terms of knowing the strength of this years draft.. is it any good?

500+ for another duckwood, my God the Geelong " we'll never pay overs " mantra is rapidly becoming a distance memory!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 20 is a kind of gamble tbh, as history would dictate.
I don't know what that means. You can argue that every pick is "a gamble". But pick 20 is early enough in the draft to suggest there'd be some good players available. I'm not sure why you'd dismiss it as "a gamble".

Jetta would fill Josh Hills role nicely (Although Hill hasn't been that bad at all)
I don't think they're particularly similar. Hill has been a more effective goalkicker at WC than Jetta has been at Sydney and is stronger overhead. And they're essentially the same age so it's not like you'd be replacing Hill with someone 3-4 years younger.

But if that's how you want to characterise it, I certainly wouldn't be trading pick 20 for a marginal upgrade on Hill who's the same age.

I'm a bit behind in terms of knowing the strength of this years draft.. is it any good?
Nah. All the picks will be "gambles".

If we got that compo would be around pick 20.

Pick 13-18 and pick 20.

What could we get with that?

I'd be happy to go to the draft.

Are you kidding pick 20 for a guy struggling to make your best 22. Good luck with that, I don't know a great deal about him but half your supporters sound like they will open the door for him and carry his stuff out aswell to get rid of him.

Are you kidding pick 20 for a guy struggling to make your best 22. Good luck with that, I don't know a great deal about him but half your supporters sound like they will open the door for him and carry his stuff out aswell to get rid of him.

It's age, cash and contract length. They are the only things that dictate compo.

At his age his deal would have to get around 350k to get band 3 I reckon.

Article in the Herald Sun saying West Coast might match Geelong's offer. Not sure what West Coast are thinking, surely they should take the end of first round compo for a guy who isn't in their best 22.

Article in the Herald Sun saying West Coast might match Geelong's offer. Not sure what West Coast are thinking, surely they should take the end of first round compo for a guy who isn't in their best 22.

If it was band 3 (late 30s) we should do it. Band 2 and we'd be crazy to match.

seemingly the threat to match the offer is intended to push up the salary offer and push the compo into the next band. he is as young as free agents can get so according to the formula the compo is only dependent on his salary.

the eagles have offered him a deal at 400k, so plainly they are happy to keep him at a decent wage. 420 or 450 they will probably also be happy. if geelong want him through free agency they will probably have to pay him a little over the normal salary.

if they want to pay him 400k or less then they will need to trade for him. would the eagles take their second rounder, which will be what pick 30+?

Last edited:
Tighten the screws on Geelong ...

If it was band 3 (late 30s) we should do it. Band 2 and we'd be crazy to match.

The big unknown question is the offer made and how that will determine the compo, you would think if Geelong offer decent $$'s WestCoast could end up with a late first rounder but if Geelong are Stingy it could drop to third, then the Eagles need to consider their position which the article is probably based on.

Tough situation with Selwood, he's 23rd man at the moment but injuries happen and spots open up. He's just fallen clearly behind Hutchings and Sheed this year.

His best hope if he stays at WCE I think would be if Butler or Ellis get injured (pretty good chance) and he can reinvent himself as a lock down small defender. Only problems there would be 1. Not quick enough, disposal not fantastic, 2. Not worth $400-500k a year.

He's done at WCE I feel.

The Eagles midfield looks to be in pretty good shape, so Selwood is surplus to requirements. Seems like the problem this year is the (reportedly) weak draft.

Whatever his faults, Selwood is a know quantity. He's not a superstar, but he's definitely capable at AFL-level, and has quite a few years left in him. He's mostly out of favour at the moment because of injury, which in turn has probably meant he's not as well-drilled on the Simpson game plan. I'm pretty confident that if he stays, next year he'll be a better player.

By contrast, any draftee is going to be a complete gamble. Obviously, the better the pick, generally the less of a gamble. But in a weak draft, a pick in the 30s is a complete crap-shoot. The chances of getting a player worth 100+ games seems pretty unlikely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back