Season 2018 comings and goings ...............

Remove this Banner Ad

What's happened to Risley, Lowey?
He’s very recently become a father for the first time. He’s decided to take a step back. He played on the weekend but still undecided if he’s going to play every week. If ever anyone has ever had the opportunity to do his own thing it’s ris. He’s trained plenty, but he’s got a new priority in his life. Saying that he still says all the right things on the track when asked

We won't have 19s this year which is disappointing but not through lack of trying. Got to about 15 players but close to half of those are attending private school. Looked at mergers, etc but in the end it didn't work out. The guys that were committed will be playing reserves in 2018.

We won't have 19s this year which is disappointing but not through lack of trying. Got to about 15 players but close to half of those are attending private school. Looked at mergers, etc but in the end it didn't work out. The guys that were committed will be playing reserves in 2018.

So we are saying you will not have U19's but Balwyn will,that one surprises me.Has the EFL thought about playing 16 players a side in U19's to accommodate the clubs that are struggling for numbers in D1.A real concern D1 U19's with clubs like Vermont and perhaps even Blackburn trying to field a 2nd U19 side and all these other clubs struggling to field just 1 U19 side.

Last edited:
Would be interesting to see how U19's or even change to U18's would go played at 2.30PM Sunday and U17's or change to U16's played Saturday morning.

It’s a rumour but heard FTG are really struggling to field1 side after fielding 2 last year. Obviously mitcham have became the big beneficiaries there. It all gets back to how you look after the kids coming thru...and even earlier in 12’s to 15’s! Got to breed it into them that young!

Lowey not sure why all these players are coming to Mitcham but extremely proud of what our junior club has done over the last few years and continue to do.After speaking to a couple of guys tonight from other EFL clubs I now think the U19's have to be graded and the days of playing curtain raisers in "ALL" games before the clubs 1's and 2's are over.

Would be interesting to see how U19's or even change to U18's would go played at 2.30PM Sunday and U17's or change to U16's played Saturday morning.
It would be interesting to see what the League has done since switching to U19's. At a couple of places where I worked they always asked people their reasons for leaving. That way they could address things that came up regularly. Has the League surveyed their under age players when they apply for a transfer regarding their reasons for leaving from, or coming to the EFL.
If you make a big change such as going to U19's then surely you would want to know if it was a success and the reasons why players are staying or leaving. I suspect that the League works on "It sounds like a good idea", lets do it. Rather than researching the problem and setting goals/targets to measure how the changes are working and then evaluating the data. Without any goals/targets how do you measure whether you are achieving what you set out to do? What are the League's goals for success?
Companies don't market new products without gathering data to evaluate the success of the product. Why would you continue to sell a product if it's losing money and you are going to go broke. Unfortunately, that's what seems to be happening with U19 competition at present.

I dare say the went to 19’s to make it easier with the expansion of the juniors to under 17’s. Personally I think it’s more in indictment on the clubs. It gets back to how hard you work on getting them in at 11’s and 12’s. You don’t keep them all. I know that much. But we teach our kids about the club, the history and we encourage them to be involved at senior level. Our junior and senior clubs are mergered now, but have their own budgets and committees. We also have a good ability to continue families lines coming thru. We have lots of ex players whose kids play at upper juniors. Not all but lots. I think that’s important. If your older supporter base don’t endeavour to get their kids playing it makes things harder. My ex hates my son playing at upper, but he doesn’t want to play anywhere else. He lives in Coldstream so she has to get him to training during the week, but he doesn’t want anything else. We have lots like that. I don’t know if this is the main reason but stuff like that has to help building the club from within.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This situation is not new but probably has been late in coming to Melbourne. I have been involved in another league in NSW for about 15 years and numbers are a problem. The U18s has not played as a competition for about 5 years as no numbers. The 10s and 12 are strong, 14s struggle a little and now the attempt to regrow the juniors is shuddering with the 16s on thin ice. 2018 has now seen one of the traditionally strong clubs fold in seniors after a number of forfeits last year. School, work, entertainment and social pressures take their toll. Clubs that are losing their 19s need to be very wary of the senior strength into the future. The points system will become even more challenging over time. It is not a huge stretch to see the number of clubs declining over time as mergers occur.

Lowey not sure why all these players are coming to Mitcham but extremely proud of what our junior club has done over the last few years and continue to do.After speaking to a couple of guys tonight from other EFL clubs I now think the U19's have to be graded and the days of playing curtain raisers in "ALL" games before the clubs 1's and 2's are over.

I heard FTG had a disagreement with some of the u19s and they decided to go to Mitcham as a group

We have lots of ex players whose kids play at upper juniors. Not all but lots. I think that’s important. If your older supporter base don’t endeavour to get their kids playing it makes things harder. My ex hates my son playing at upper, but he doesn’t want to play anywhere else. He lives in Coldstream so she has to get him to training during the week, but he doesn’t want anything else. We have lots like that. I don’t know if this is the main reason but stuff like that has to help building the club from within.

Can you afford a house in Doncaster Lowey?
I can't & that's why I am one of your neighbours. ;)
Makes it tough for our ex-players to have their kids go through our club. Nothing to with any cultural deficiency.

I keep banging my head against the wall but unfortunately a large part of this is demographics & it is only going to get worse. This is not as simple as some seem to believe. We pretty much had someone chasing players full time from two 17s sides & still couldn't get a team. The poor guy is extremely disappointed, but there is little more that he could have done.

I get to see it from both sides with my involvement at a senior club, while also being a parent at a different junior club.

My daughter played at Upper last season they are unlikely to get a team together in 2018 so will be forced elsewhere. There is more competition with surrounding clubs this season, & perhaps part of the novelty of the AFLW has worn off a little as there is less return girls. I am not going to bag the people at the club that have given up their time as they 'haven't worked hard enough to get a team'. That's crap they have been fantastic & can have done barely any more.

The other point I will make is that we found it was a little more difficult due to being in 1st Division. Many of the kids that we were chasing treated the game as a secondary hobby, & had played in lower divisions throughout their junior careers. There was little interest in playing let alone in the highest division.

I now look forward to seeing some of the kids play in the 2s, with some excellent senior role models to guide them.

Last edited:
I heard FTG had a disagreement with some of the u19s and they decided to go to Mitcham as a group

So Crusey how do we (Lilydale) look at this stage this season,I know some of our guys (Mitcham) are impressed with the way Lilydale do it with their juniors and the youth in the seniors and hope to go down a similar path.April 21st R3 we have planned a big day Mitcham v Lilydale on our MCG of the East and personally look forward to meeting all the LFC guys again including your Mum and Dad.This will be a day we remember Anzac Day and all ready have a sold out our luncheon with Alex Rance as guest speaker.

Last edited:
I havent seen any of the preseason Graham

Held onto all but a few of our 19s from last year and have picked up a couple of tall lads apparently

Lost a couple of the older seniors

Some pretty skilled kids in the 19s last year comin up so should keep a few opposition sides honest

My ladder prediction 2018:

1. Vermont
2. South Croydon
3. Blackburn
4. Balwyn
5. Doncaster
6. Norwood
7. Rowville
8. Noble Park
9. East Ringwood
10. North Ringwood
11. Montrose
12. Knox
Blackburn for Premiers against Vermont by a goal.

Last edited:
My ladder prediction 2018:

1. Vermont
2. South Croydon
3. Blackburn
4. Balwyn
5. Doncaster
6. Norwood
7. Rowville
8. Noble Park
9. East Ringwood
10. North Ringwood
11. Montrose
12. Bayswater

Blackburn for Premiers against Vermont by a goal.
Sorry to be a smartarse but Bayswater are now in Division 2 .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back