Review Season 2023 review. The good.The bad. The what now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Now the season is done and dusted -- Went very quick, I felt. What did we feel about the season overall?

The good:

• Apart from the first few games, I thought Sabrina found a real role in this team, in the ruck and knew what she needed to do to help the team. Was not good forward, but I could see some value in her with the ruck role.
  • Bri and Bri's return from ACL injuries: And they didn't seem to miss a beat, they'll be better next season with the season under their belt.
  • The recruits: Between Eleri Morris to Nell Morris-Dallton and Grace Campbell, even Tarni White, I thought each provided something different to this group. It was hard to make up with the talent that we lost, and chemistry with this new group was always gonna take time, but think strides were made.
  • Sheridan had a great season, and she's turned into a bonafide midfielder, where in the past she's mostly been played forward. but she's now making impact in the middle of the ground.
  • Finally getting a win over brisbane in brisbane (or anywhere) felt like a game changer, but unfortunately not something we could sustain week on week.
The bad.
  • Injuries. Injuries. Injuries. Felt like it was one step forward, two steps back. Everytime someone would come back, someone would get injured. Ruby spending half the season on the sidelines, comes back for 2 games, then gets injured again. James another with her syndemosis. Braz did a hammy. Butler similar to Ruby. Barnett ankle early in the season. Not that it should be some kind of excuse, but we dont have the players to replace the likes of Ruby and Butler in the backline.
  • Felt like some players had regressed this season, with James and Brown and Rowe either not making an impact like they have previously, or with Tarni, she's not a forward so she's been played out of position, but with our midfield back together, it's hard to get her midfield time, so she had to play forward and not making an impact which is why she was dropped for half the season. Lin being dropped constantly too.
  • The game plan. It just feels like it does not suit the way the AFLW is heading, and we needed to adapt, which we have not. We lost that run in waves like we had last year, whether that's because of personnel I'm not sure. Whomever is our next coach, it'll be interesting to see what changes there will be.
What's next?
  • New coach. Who? Will be very interesting, and to see who he/she will change with the game plan, or the list in general. But whatever happens, it has to be a good thing. We had become stagnated, we need someone that can push up into the top 4 sides, not idle away around the bottom half of the ladder, never improving/
  • Talent. Need more of it. The likes of Sydney. Geelong. Essendon even GC are starting to move ahead of us, not just on the ladder either. Maybe missing finals isn't a bad thing as we should have some decent picks we can do something with.

feel free to add your own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back