• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
I remember in the mid 2000s, as a slightly younger Headless, sitting through two losses against wooden spooners Carlton in a single season. Winning even one of those two games would have meant we finished top four. Instead, we threw away our double chance, and then missed finals for the following 11 seasons.

As you can imagine, such is my personality, I was UNBELIEVABLY ANGRY. :madv1: Such was my sheer disappointment that I didn’t even send my usual “thank you” handwritten letter to the barista who made my coffee at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and/or Colonial Stadium.

17 years later, we are, somehow, back in a semi final, and this time AGAINST Carlton. And though it feels like we’re physically and metaphorically limping toward the end, much like our disappointing end to 2022, we remain a chance to make a preliminary final in Brisbane. WE REMAIN A CHANCE.

Here are our recent match-ups against Carlton from the ever-helpful afl.com.au. They include an absolute thriller featuring Kysaiah Pickett brilliance, and somewhat less of a thriller featuring Christian Petracca almost brilliance. Recent history suggests this one COULD BE A CONTENDER for Name A Game pre-order.

Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 6.35.01 pm.png

The selection table is, like all tables, very interesting. I could speak for days about my favourite types of table, and there’s a strong chance I will do so in this very thread, but the table I want to speak of ON THIS OCCASION is of the selection ilk. So let’s do that. 🥳

From last week, Carlton will be without Harry McKay and Jack Martin. Melbourne will be without Angus Brayshaw and Jacob van Rooyen, leaving our forward options slim. On our end, reports have suggested both Max Gawn and Clayton Oliver are carrying injuries, and the former also went to the bathroom on several occasions the other day. :sneaky:

Screen Shot 2023-09-14 at 6.35.45 pm.png

Here are some questions that I – that’s Headless from the anonymous online text-based football discussion forum bigfooty.com – would like answered.

Q. Will we break an all-time record for ineffective inside 50s this week?
Last week, we had 956 inside 50s for about one goal. We fared well on the “number of long kicks into a crowded forward line” metric, but less well on the “points scored” metric.

This week, I feel confident we can go one better and break the all-time inefficiency record.

Q. Will there be more Melbourne supporters, Carlton supporters, or Collingwood supporters on our board?
I’m sure we’re all looking forward to the measured and empathetic responses from the Collingwood faithful when we lose this game, along with the patronizing “sorry for the intrusion” posts from lovely Carlton folk. 🤗

Q. Do we have an MCG problem?
For practically all of Simon Goodwin’s time at the top, I’ve felt more confident going into interstate games than games at home. Why is that? Combined with the fact that our three most recent finals have been MCG losses that we debatably could or should have won, the question must be asked.

It must be. So I hope somebody asks it in this very thread.

Q. Who will kick our goals?
Since Harrison Petty and then Jake Melksham regrettably went down with injury, and even before that, we’ve really struggled with our mid-forward connection this season. A11dAtP0w3R will tell you that we’re working incredibly hard on it, but it is and has been a big issue. I’d personally like to see Christian Salem forward and Charlie Spargo back in the team, but who kicks our BIG SIX-POINTERS? Christian Petracca may need to play more forward minutes or, failing that, we may need to bring back David Neitz.

Good luck, everybody. I hope you have a wonderful, WONDERFUL time consuming this game of Australian football. 🤗

Please clap.

Headless if you had to measure your excitement for this game our of 10 what would it be?

Mines at about a 2.5

Winning this game is completely irrelevant to me if we do it in the same style as last week
About a four, 'kent. But mostly for the delicious decaf. :shoutyoldman:

Last edited:
Originally wasn’t gonna go to this game after last week, but remembered how shite we were for the better part of a decade and thought how absurd it is that I’d miss a dees final at the G.

I’m strangely confident, I think we’re better, think we’ll win, as much as have our problems, we’re a hardened side who will win in the contests and important moments in the game.

Dees by 27, Bailey ‘Brad Green’ Fritsch with 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally wasn’t gonna go to this game after last week, but remembered how shite we were for the better part of a decade and thought how absurd it is that I’d miss a dees final at the G.

I’m strangely confident, I think we’re better, think we’ll win, as much as have our problems, we’re a hardened side who will win in the contests and important moments in the game.

Dees by 27, Bailey ‘Brad Green’ Fritsch with 4.
I had just as much fun watching us in 2010/11 than I have watching us the last couple years.

Really feel that Petracca/Fritsch/Pickett have to combine for around 10 goals tonight to lay the foundations of a win.

There is no player growth in bombing it high and long so I am hopeful they will look for leads and go flat and fast to players. Even if it doesn't work out it is a starting point to grow into better F50 entries. Though I wish they worked on that more in preseason and not now.

Heard on one of the radio shows ANB looks for a player 80% of the time when going inside as opposed to Petracca/Viney/Oliver who are way below that and that is where the big change has to come I feel.

Really feel that Petracca/Fritsch/Pickett have to combine for around 10 goals tonight to lay the foundations of a win.

There is no player growth in bombing it high and long so I am hopeful they will look for leads and go flat and fast to players. Even if it doesn't work out it is a starting point to grow into better F50 entries. Though I wish they worked on that more in preseason and not now.

Heard on one of the radio shows ANB looks for a player 80% of the time when going inside as opposed to Petracca/Viney/Oliver who are way below that and that is where the big change has to come I feel.
They aren't below that, they are well below the league average for kicking

Too much negativity here for my liking. I'm pretty confident that we'll come out hot tonight, focus on hitting leading forwards, lay a heap of inside 50 tackles and get a win.

Then we'll bring JVR back in next week, keep Tmac and Smith forward, and get beaten by 8 goals by the Lions.

Too much negativity here for my liking. I'm pretty confident that we'll come out hot tonight, focus on hitting leading forwards, lay a heap of inside 50 tackles

I remember when we came out hot in the semi final against Brisbane and scored well and lost last year after a soulless low scoring loss vs the Swans...

Funny how we owned Brisbane up until then, sort of the same against Carlton

So many parallels.

History ALWAYS repeats? That's how the song by Spilt Endz goes doesnt it? Another straight sets embarrassment incoming.

I remember when we came out hot in the semi final against Brisbane and scored well and lost last year after a soulless low scoring loss vs the Swans...

Funny how we owned Brisbane up until then, sort of the same against Carlton

So many parallels.

History ALWAYS repeats? That's how the song by Spilt Endz goes doesnt it? Another straight sets embarrassment incoming.

Sad what the MFC has done to us..
IMG_0456.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back