Remove this Banner Ad

ScottyDogg

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
I go in feeling much more confident this week than last. It’s not about the opposition, it’s about being switched on to our brand. The wet conditions of the 2nd half against Essendon allowed us to rediscover our basic footy. I think the hostile environment and dewy conditions at the Gabba will allow us to keep building on that. It’s a bonus that we have a lot of fresh legs in the team and aren’t banged up.

The west comes alive in finals and what a joy to get to enjoy it for at least one more week. Red White and Blue everywhere! Yield to None! Go Doggs!

Last edited:
I'm certainly more confident this week but it's a much bigger ask. A few reasons:
  • Brisbane are a better side than Essendon by a considerable margin
  • We're playing them on their home turf
  • Our boys will be coming out of continuous time on the road (still in Tassy I believe) while Brisbane will be able to sleep in their own beds (and whatever else that entails ;))
  • Being an elimination game we had to show our hand last week so Brisbane won't get caught out by our taller forward line and dual-ruck structure
  • It was a sapping struggle in the wet so we may have heavy legs (but no doubt they'll have an easier time on the track this week)
  • Brisbane have an extra night's rest for their bodies to recover
I know there are some things working in our favour, like momentum, injury to McStay, etc but we'll need to be at our best and we MUST apply elite level pressure from the opening bounce. It took us until the second quarter to start doing that on Sunday.

One thing I know for sure is that Dunks and Treloar will give it everything they've got. They'll be desperate to stay on the road together for as long as possible.
I found it interesting that Treloar’s partner & Dunks’ sister were both at the Tassie game (flown down from Brisbane). I suspect neither will be going back to Melbourne for quite some time when we’re eliminated and will take the chance to fly to Queensland for an extended period, given the lockdown and family living situations.

I found it interesting that Treloar’s partner & Dunks’ sister were both at the Tassie game (flown down from Brisbane). I suspect neither will be going back to Melbourne for quite some time when we’re eliminated and will take the chance to fly to Queensland for an extended period, given the lockdown and family living situations.

That won't happen.

history shows that the losing qualifying finalist wins this game about 8 out of 10 times, people always over rate last weeks winners and underrate the losers making this round my favourite betting round of the year. hope we are the exception this year.

I'm very confident we will win this. The difference between our best and worst is pretty big - but when we are 'on' we are a force of nature (or a tidal wave...). We are now officially 'on' in my view. The mojo is back and we can go all the way to Perth..and we all know we haven't lost a Grand Final for well over 50 years :) .

What's the saying? One swallow does not make a Summer?

Are we "back"? I bloody well hope so but this has been such an up and down year that I can't be sure.

Can we beat Brisbane? - absolutely. Their midfield was towelled up by Melbourne and they don't have and A-grade ruck combo. Take out perennial bugbear Hipwood as well as McStay, and all bodes well for us.

Nullify Neale and Charlie Cameron and put some time in to Rich and I struggle to see where they beat us.

But, we are playing a finals team on their home deck. Nothing can be taken for granted. Take our eyes off the ball and you can say goodbye pretty quickly.

?

history shows that the losing qualifying finalist wins this game about 8 out of 10 times, people always over rate last weeks winners and underrate the losers making this round my favourite betting round of the year. hope we are the exception this year.

Yep. The teams that finished in the top four are usually better than those who didn't. Then there's also home ground advantage.

In our case it's probably a bit of an anomaly that we didn't finish in the top four. We were in the top two for 20 weeks.

We also have an excellent record on the road.

In most cases I think you'd be right but I actually think the odds for this game are pretty accurate with us only being slight underdogs.

All about tackling and defensive pressure if we bring intensity we will get plenty of good looks . I still think j dogs defence looks suspect

Not having a specific go at this poster from the Lions board but it just caught my attention as I have heard the same thing about our defense being suspect at least twice this week in the media.

I’m not sure where these ideas come from but it’s not from watching dogs games or looking at the stats.

We gave up the fewest points in the league for almost the entire season and just stopped one of the hottest offensive teams in the league on the weekend. And not just stopped, like literally stopped them from scoring a goal for the entire second half.

Even in our recent form slump we kept Port to 66 and Hawthorn to 64 in losses. The high score being 97 to Essendon when they kicked 15.7 with an expected score in the 70s. So basically slotted every shot they had.

If I was going to suggest a weakness going into this final it’s our mid field that has been inconsistent recently or our forward line that is trying to find its feet after the loss of Bruce.

in contrast, while certainly less well known, our defense is settled, deep, versatile, skilled and experienced.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geez if they go in with Daniher, Fullerton and Ballendan down forward with Big O in the ruck, we’d have to be pretty confident wouldn’t we? We all agree we struggle with big forwards and good ruckman. Those guys don’t exactly strike fear in me. We’re the better side comfortably

Geez if they go in with Daniher, Fullerton and Ballendan down forward with Big O in the ruck, we’d have to be pretty confident wouldn’t we? We all agree we struggle with big forwards and good ruckman. Those guys don’t exactly strike fear in me. We’re the better side comfortably
Agree their talls are thin, but they are still a dangerous offence overall (they are the #1 scoring team for a reason).

Cameron, McCarthy and Bailey are all super dangerous and have around 115 goals between them this year. Zorko, McCluggage and Lyons also get plenty of shots on goal.

Not having a specific go at this poster from the Lions board but it just caught my attention as I have heard the same thing about our defense being suspect at least twice this week in the media.

I’m not sure where these ideas come from but it’s not from watching dogs games or looking at the stats.

We gave up the fewest points in the league for almost the entire season and just stopped one of the hottest offensive teams in the league on the weekend. And not just stopped, like literally stopped them from scoring a goal for the entire second half.

Even in our recent form slump we kept Port to 66 and Hawthorn to 64 in losses. The high score being 97 to Essendon when they kicked 15.7 with an expected score in the 70s. So basically slotted every shot they had.

If I was going to suggest a weakness going into this final it’s our mid field that has been inconsistent recently or our forward line that is trying to find its feet after the loss of Bruce.

in contrast, while certainly less well known, our defense is settled, deep, versatile, skilled and experienced.

That thread also has a lot of Cody drew or staged for all four goals comments. Once again people not actually watching the game just running with some accepted theme.

Maybe if they'd watched the 360 or Couch segments about it on Monday night they'd open their eyes.

Hope our boy plays a blinder again this week.

The Big O is pretty underrated on here. I think he’s a good ruckman.

This game has so many unknowns to be answered

Brisbane

How do they cover the lost of McStay or should it be McGone.
Do they move Adams forward
Do they just give the forward 50 to Charlie
How fit is Gardiner and Andrews
Do they tag Libba
How much of advantage is the Gabba with a crowd

Dogs

The big question with the dogs as always is selection
Do they roll dice with Martin knowing if they win they need him to have a run for the week against Lycett
Does JJ come in VDM
Does Marra play
How much effect will a six day break, after a wet weather game and a lot travel have on performance
Is the Bont 100% fit

All difficult questions that may decide the result. My crystal ball says dogs by 2 points

Hoping Gards and Schache build confidence from last week and contribute well again, need all our cogs turning together again this week.

Go you RWB ar5e-kicking bunch of footballing stallions!

:largeredcircle: :mwcirlce: :largebluecircle: :bulldogs:

Back