Past Setanta O'hAilpin

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 17. Setanta O'hAilpin

amazing how much he is ridiculed

Don't get it myself. He's better than some AFL players who have played this code all their lives and still struggle to have any impact on a game.

When he's fit, he's really capable. Makes some odd decisions or mistakes but otherwise is a real competitor and can be a nightmare matchup and I think his improvements over the years, especially overhead marking, considering where he has come from has been pretty damn good. Onya Irish.

Kevin Sheedy earmarks Stanta O'hAilpin to replace Israel Folau
COACH Kevin Sheedy has earmarked Setanta O'hAilpin to take the place of departed fellow code-hopper Israel Folau in the GWS Giants team.

Irishman O'hAilpin, 29, suffered a season-ending anterior cruciate ligament knee injury in his first senior game with the Giants in 2012 but recently signed a new one-year contract.

With struggling marquee player Folau returning to rugby league, a role has opened for O'hAilpin who played Gaelic Football and hurling before starting his 81-game AFL career at Carlton.
Kevin Sheedy earmarks Stanta O'hAilpin to replace Israel Folau
Good to see Setanta getting another shot after doing his ACL last season in his first game for the giants. I've always been a big fan if Carlos and I felt that he still had something to offer the giants and deserved a 1 year extension.

i've always had a soft spot for the set top box, ever since he kick that ex-collingwood no hoper out of carlton.
would have played a lot of games for the blues last year if we had of kept him.

good luck to him this year, i imagine he will play the ruck forward role

Setanta is playing his first game of the year for GWS after last years cruel injury. Is sitting on 5 goals 2 behinds late in the third quarter. Very happy GWS picked him up in the draft and also happy that he got a second chance after an injury ruined 2012. I hope he gets a bag every week except for when he plays Carlton!

Go Setanta!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some players leave the club and are hated from that moment on, others leave amicably and are followed with fondness for the remainder of their career.

You'll struggle to find a Carlton fan who doesn't wish Setanta all the best at the Giants. Great to see him back out there, and doing well.

If he is getting a bag every week, then it makes me wonder what would have happened if we had kept him and released Emu...

But then again, would he have blown out his knee last year and been out for the year if he hadnt left us?
Considering our luck with big man injuries, probably.:(

If he is getting a bag every week, then it makes me wonder what would have happened if we had kept him and released Emu...

But then again, would he have blown out his knee last year and been out for the year if he hadnt left us?
He would have done the same as he'd done for us previously. Try really hard, celebrate like no other, kick a bag once in a while and frustrate us to all hell with all too often brain fart. Wouldn't have improved us overall.

What is this guy up to?

He's playing for the Albury Tigers in the Ovens & Murray league, alongside his brother, Chris Hyde and Dean Polo.

Looks to be doing quite well, too. He's kicked a lazy 77 goals in 13 games thus far this season...including two bags of 10, one of 11 and one of 13.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back