Siddle Petering Out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Siddle bowls the overs Clarke loves as captain: lots of economical overs and tests the batsman at the most of times. Might not take a bag but jeez he was unlucky in Melbourne. Bowled with great shape in the first innings and is always a good foil for the others

Take Siddle out of this series and Johnson and Harris would miss out on half the wickets they've taken.

Siddle's role has been important, but let's not overstate it too much. To say that Siddle has caused Johnson to take half his wickets this series is laughable. Johnson's taking wickets mostly because he's bowling damn well and the English batsmen are scared of him. Siddle's (relatively) economic bowling has helped, but Johnson himself is the main reason he's been taking wickets, not Siddle.

Siddle is a good bowler, an honest toiler, but he's reasonably vanilla and not particularly threatening.

Bird is the best option not currently in the side, and should be in the side.

Patto/Cummins getting fit will make it even more interesting; if any of those 3 can get up and running, then Siddle will struggle to retain his spot.
You WILL Be proven wrong, siddle's is going nowhere, when pattinson/cummins get fit it is more likely that Harris will make way than siddle as Harris is 34 with dodgy knees, his test career probably won't last too much longer because of this

Siddle's role has been important, but let's not overstate it too much. To say that Siddle has caused Johnson to take half his wickets this series is laughable. Johnson's taking wickets mostly because he's bowling damn well and the English batsmen are scared of him. Siddle's (relatively) economic bowling has helped, but Johnson himself is the main reason he's been taking wickets, not Siddle.

'twas a figure of speech.

Take Siddle out of this series and Johnson and Harris would miss out on half the wickets they've taken.

Lyon and Johnson have cleaned up a couple of times bowling in tandem. It's all of them together., it's not just Siddle doing work and the others taking wickets or vice-versa.

They've worked really well as a team as Johnson keeps saying in his MOTM speeches.

How much skinnier can he get? Think he might be overdoing the vegan thing and I'm not convinced he is bowling any better because of it.

Nah I get what you mean mate, he hasn't been taking bags, but it isn't really his role.
Yeah, there are only 20 wickets to take. if someone else gets a haul, then the other bowlers won't. Its not like batting where all the top six can make hundreds (in theory). Any time someone gets 4 wickets in an innings, odds are the others will only get 1-2 each.

Potassium

True, but it would take an extraordinary quantity per day (ie, 300+ for an average person in terms of their weight etc) to cause a potassium overdose. Obviously can vary person to person depending on their ability to digest it, but you'd think raw vegans would already be informed in terms of what quantity and quality of foods are appropriate for their diet and training.

Besides, plenty of bananas a day seemed to help this couple (in their 60s) run a marathon a day for the past 12 months :thumbsu:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-01/melbourne-couple-complete-366th-marathon/5181296

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You WILL Be proven wrong, siddle's is going nowhere, when pattinson/cummins get fit it is more likely that Harris will make way than siddle as Harris is 34 with dodgy knees, his test career probably won't last too much longer because of this

Such a shame

If he had a 75 match test career he would be revered as the next lillee.

Simply amazing strike rate and average.

Dare i say it, but it looks like there was a fair bit of merit to what I was saying in the OP. Darren Lehmann also believes that he needs to get his pace back.

It was part horses for courses, part workload, part form thing, leaving Siddle out. Let's see how we bowl on it before we say it was the right call. I personally would have left out Harris. With him and Patto both in the side, you have 2 bowlers with a long injury history playing a 5 day match. Risky.

Guess with watto back and lyon bowling long economic spells in this series they figured it was a risk they could take.

Hope siddle isn't on the scrap heap and is given a legitimate chance to win back his spot, for all the talk of his diet i think being forced to cover the workload of those others who can't maintain their fitness has been a contributing factor in siddle's loss of pace.

I don't think it is a form thing, more to do with the conditions and nature of the match. Pattinson is essentially a "wild-card" in these conditions and the team needed to go all-out to win the series as a draw in the final test won't suffice. Furthermore, I think that Pattinson has proven himself to be an excellent performer on flat pitches, so based on these conditions it is an excellent call.

Australia is incredibly lucky to have the fast-bowling spoils we are currently experiencing.

Siddle's workload hasn't been out of the ordinary, Clarke hasn't flogged any of his bowlers. Last test should have been a Siddle wicket, it was just set up for that bowler who wasn't lightning quick and could move it around a bit. We badly missed Watson on that deck. If you aren't quick then you need to be able to get it to move and he's not getting a lot of movement. This is where Watson has excelled as a medium pacer, not just hits the right areas but gets reverse swing when it's there and gets some cutters to go. Either Siddle needs to get some tricks or find his lost pace because at this stage his pace is modest and he's relying on the odd ball to go off the seam which isn't enough. At this stage Lehmann is right, he needs to bowl fast again. He doesn't have the tricks at this stage to be a 130-135km/hr bowler and get top batsmen out. If you're going to make it bowling his pace you need tricks and skills to get the ball to go in the air and off the wicket.

This will be a huge test for our bowlers, this wicket is a belter, but there is bounce in it which will give us something. Pattinson is the future, before his injury he was an automatic selection, he's fast, gets bounce, out swing and seam movement. Harris' form has dropped but between him and Siddle, if you include how they bowled during the Ashes, Harris is ahead. Harris has been bowling quicker and getting the ball to move, at least he's looked dangerous at times. This will more than likely be a wicket where Lyon does well, it should bounce and turn a little.

It's a bit of a concern for me. Siddle strikes me as a real test player, and a heart and soul type in the dressing room who always bowled well in the bad times. Bit of a panic call after losing a test, and perhaps the first step away from Boof's 'go out and do your best, fellas' approach. Very calculated after one bad test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back