Sorenstam playing mens tour this week

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 12, 2003
Brisbane
Other Teams
HAWTHORN
What does everyone think about Annika Sorenstam playing in the men's PGA event in Texas this coming weekend?

Personally, I agree with most "experts" that it will have an overwhelming influence on women's golf - whether that be a good or bad influence remains on how successful she is in the event.

I think it's a great idea, and has obviously added publicity to an event which would otherwise just be a run-of-the-mill PGA tour event. I also hope she beats many males, because there seems to be a sense of arrogance over in the USA, I wouldn't mind seeing that arrogance get shot down.

Many men will be thinking that extra little bit about each shot, just in the hope that they don't get beaten by a 'girl'!
As Phil Mickelson said when asked where she will finish:
"I think she'll finish around twentieth."
"I just hope I finish 19th or better"

Good luck to her I say, hope she does well- for the sake of the sport.

got no problems with her playing. i recall a conversation with a mate that said that in the olympics, women's times were lowering at a faster rate than men, and therefore it wouldn't be too long before women would be competitive against the men.

as long as annika knows that it'll be good for a laugh, but it doesn't change the fact that women could never compete against men in most sports, even in chess.

doesn't mean that men are better than women, just that they're different. i laugh at the mothers that complain when their daughters can't continue to play junior footy with the boys, and that's it's sexist or discriminatory.

Golf is one of those sports where there's no reason for men and women to be so far apart, except for the fact that men can hit the ball further. If men and women both played off the ladies tees, it'd be an interesting match-up, purely down to skill, not necessarilly strength. However, there are a few holes on the Houston course where Annika will be tested for distance, thus not creating a chance for eagle or birdie, when most men will be getting birdie at worst. The par 3s and short par 4s will be evenly contested, and there's no reason Annika cannot match it with the men, hoever the longer holes will be the holes that just drift her from the pack. It'd be interesting to watch, that's for sure.

I agree that most sports women cannot compete with men, simply because of the need for strength, stamina or build. But golf doesn't always require that, and besides, Sorenstam would be stronger than a lot of men relative to her body weight. But it's still a fact that women don't swing the club as fast as men or with as much force, therefore she'll find it hard to match it on the PGA Tour IMO.

If the greens are soft, it will help her, but if they aren't she won't even get close.
Clubhead speed equates to backspin and if the pins are tucked in behind bunkers then a combination of longer clubs and less backspin will mean she can't fire at the pin.
It won't harm her career, or womens golf. Just a bit of a talking point really.

You're always going to get the tricky pin placements on the weekend at any course on the PGA Tour. However the Houston course is definitely the most well suited for Annika. I agree that there will be holes that trick her up, for the simple fact of slower clubhead speed, but I wouldn't be surprised if she killed some men on the simpler holes. Her swing is almost flawless, and when it comes down to the fundamentals of hitting the ball straight at the pin, she is one of the best.

Can't wait to see what unfolds.

I'd be surprised if she made the cut.

absolutely no reason why she can't do well, or even win!

Driving Distance is irrelevant to the score you shoot, top 2 on the PGA Tour in terms of driving Distance are John Daly and James McLean. They sit at 114th and 152 on the money list respectively.

Annika's Driving Distance is listed at 275.4 yds for the season, that's better than 7 defending champs!

When true equality of the sexes exist, there will be a single PGA where the men and women play the same tournaments every week, long overdue!

Sorenstan is playing in the Colonial which is 2 weeks away.
She averages about 250 metres off the tee which is close to the short hitters on the tour.
On a short course I think she could be competitive but my tip is to make the cut but finish about 50th.

Originally posted by red+black
as long as annika knows that it'll be good for a laugh, but it doesn't change the fact that women could never compete against men in most sports, even in chess.

Singh issues ban warning
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/05/13/1052591791088.html

What is she going to prove by playing? It's ridiculous," said Singh, a two-time major champion, ranked No. 7 in the world.

"She's the best woman golfer in the world, and I want to emphasise 'woman'. We have our tour for men, and they have their tour. She's taking a spot from someone in the field."

Originally posted by joshhem
can someone tellme when she's playing, because this is a very long week.
Bank of America Colonial
Colonial Country Club, Fort Worth, Texas May 19 - 25, 2003
Champion: Nick Price
Purse: $5 million
Winning Share: $900,000
Winning Score: 267
Yards: 7,080
Thu. 5/22/03 USA 4:00-6:00 p.m.
Fri. 5/23/03 USA 4:00-6:00 p.m.
Sat. 5/24/03 CBS 3:00-6:00 p.m.
Sun. 5/25/03 CBS 3:00-6:00 p.m.

from pgatour.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The official groupings and starting times have been announced on pgatour.com and Annika is playing with a couple of rookies Dean Wilson and Aaron Barber. They tee off at 8:58 (Houston time) in round 1 and 1:43 in round 2. Can't see her making it to round 3!

One over for the day. A bloody good effort from Annika! It could have been even better but for a couple of missed putts late in her round. She's ahead of Appleby, Elkington, Lehman & Garcia just to name a few! 70 or better tomorrow and she should make the cut.

she did amazingly well

GO ANIKA!

a fellow golfer made a good point when he said that he though anika should give herself 4 or 5 games against the men instead of 1

if its only 1 match and she dose well then ppl can say it was a fluke

I think it's great that Anika has had a crack at the men's tour, and seemingly done pretty well around the first 18.

But how long until some idiot bloke wants to get himself a game on the women's tour in some publicity stunt disguised as gender equality !!??

It's inevitable.

Sorenstam is at +3 after 9 holes today.
83rd on the list of 111.

Cut projected at +1

Dont think she will make the cut.

finished equal 95th out of 111 with rounds of 71 and 74, missing the cut by 4. she had 5 bogeys in 8 holes during the middle of her 2nd round. she had the 3rd worst 2nd round of all players. only player of note she beat was mark brooks.

don't think she really proved anything. good luck to her, must have been tough. but it always will be tough. she's a woman, and could never hope to really compete.

The only real winners out of this were the sponsors and tv rights company. This stunk of a publicity stunt from the begining and I still think that Annika was maniopulated (willingly) by the sponsors to increase interest in the event.

Brilliant marketing move, but did nothing else rerally after that. She didn't fail but had to make the cut to succeed.

I agreed with playing more than one tournament; I'd like to see how she does in four or five tries.

I am surprised that Annika felt Colonial was an appropriate course for her - I would have thought the opposite. There are some long holes there. She would have been hitting woods into a lot of the Par 4s, and the 4th hole is a Par 3 that measures about 250 yards/225 metres.

Anyone who would have been embarrassed to have been beaten by her is a sook. The fact that she is clearly the #1 female golfer in the world has to account that surely she would be superior to a lot of male golfers out there, even a few professionals.

PGA Tour pros, with a few notable exceptions, all tend to be real conservative good'ole boy types.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back