South Australian National Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is the AFL called the "Australian" Football League, when it doesn't have teams in the NT or Tasmania (just FIFOs)?

Why are the winners of the NFL, NBA, MLB called world champions, even though those leagues are played exclusively in the USA and Canada ?

Because these leagues are the pinnacle of their respective sports, all recruit the best players in the world - hence the team that wins the title comprises the best team of players in the world. (It has nothing to do where the teams are actually based).

With the shifting of world economies, and the evolution of aircraft technology making transatlantic and transpacific shorter, it wont be long before the NFL and MLB expand to major cities around the planet anyway. London will have an NFL team soon and Tokyo, Seoul, Mexico City, London, San Juan and Montreal are all on the shortlist of cities identified as future sites of MLB teams.

You are lying.
[/
National Football League era and the Night Series[edit]

Norwood Oval, then Australia's premier night football venue (but shown here during the day), was central to the NFL's national club competition.
In 1975, the council changed its name to the National Football League (NFL),[40] and embarked on an ambitious plan by establishing the NFL Night Series in 1976. The Night Series was a new competition, played concurrently with the premiership seasons, among twelve clubs from the VFL, SANFL and WANFL invited based on their finishing positions from the previous year.

I was joking...
I think I got one of those magazines somewhere in garage too.
I remember it had Jezza in it giving skill instructions.
I remember the green and gold.
It was from before my time so not sure how I got it but had it since I was a kid.

Why is the AFL called the "Australian" Football League, when it doesn't have teams in the NT or Tasmania (just FIFOs)?

Because these leagues are the pinnacle of their respective sports, all recruit the best players in the world - hence the team that wins the title comprises the best team of players in the world. (It has nothing to do where the teams are actually based).

With the shifting of world economies, and the evolution of aircraft technology making transatlantic and transpacific shorter, it wont be long before the NFL and MLB expand to major cities around the planet anyway. London will have an NFL team soon and Tokyo, Seoul, Mexico City, London, San Juan and Montreal are all on the shortlist of cities identified as future sites of MLB teams.

More pertinent is why they refer to the AFL when they care only for Victoria and NSW?

Can’t speak for the other US leagues, but NBA champions have not been referred to as World Champions for at least a decade

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NHL doesn't call the Stanley Cup Champions, the world champions, either, as there is an annual Ice Hockey World Championship.

Russia / Soviet Union have won it 27 times, Canada 26 times. Czech Republic / Czechoslovakia 12 times. Sweden 11 times. Finland 3 times. The US only twice

Why is the South Australian National Football League (SANFL) still allowed to carry the "National" in their title? The VFL or WAFL are not afforded this luxury. What does the SANFL do for the game on a national basis? Interested to hear thoughts.
It stems from a time qwhen the game was known as Australian National Football, not just Australian Football like now.
The Hobart comp before "statewide mark 1" was the Tasmanian Australian National Football League for the same reason.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back