Hampton Hammer

Debutant
Mar 7, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Aberfeldie FC
Any word on new coaches, new recruits, whether Balwyn are going to the Eastern DFL? Darren Kappler has signed as coach of Caulfield.

Moorabbin Kangaroo got new coach with alot money and he from Parkmore coach this year

Hampton Hammer said:
Any word on new coaches, new recruits, whether Balwyn are going to the Eastern DFL? Darren Kappler has signed as coach of Caulfield.

How are your guys looking at Hampton ? Any new recruits ? There was some talk around the Ammos that you guys were considering a move in 07 or 08 ? Is there any truth in that HH ?

Cheers,
RFS

mdogau30 said:
Moorabbin Kangaroo got new coach with alot money and he from Parkmore coach this year

Worst coach in the history of the game, any one who has to pay a team to have him as their coach clearly has no talent, he has been trying to buy a job in div 1 but no one was interested, will be worth watching what happens to parkmore though in imo they deserve to fold.

Parkmore - what a joke! Will be lucky to have a side in 2007 from what I have been told.

Balwyn will be moving to the EFL in 2007. Will be interesting to see how they go considerihng they didnt even play in the grand final this year.

Kappler is a good pick up for the Bears with their relatively young playing list.

rightfoot_sloth said:
How are your guys looking at Hampton ? Any new recruits ? There was some talk around the Ammos that you guys were considering a move in 07 or 08 ? Is there any truth in that HH ?

Cheers,
RFS

RFS, early doors at this stage but hopeful of a few handy pick ups coming on board. We start training in 7 or so weeks and presentation night this weekend coming. The club is steadily improving each year and I am confident we'll take the next step and play finals footy in 2007. As for the Ammo's option.... it was more a play so that the SFL would have a look into the way they run the league and to look into ways of strengthening the competition for years to come. As a result the AFL has had Ed Biggs come down and speak to every club in the SFL to look at ways of moving forward and the result has been an overhaul of the SFL board which is good news. The report is yet to be presented but I am sure it is going to include a blueprint for all senior clubs to align with junior clubs (if they haven't already) to help keep these clubs around in the years to come. We had already looked into this and as a result we will have one of our senior players (with my assistance) coach the East Sandringham under 17's in 2007. This is extremely exciting for our club as we hope to keep kids playing footy for longer and to develop into senior footballers, hopefully with the Hammers.

ran into a few of the Caulfield boys on our footy trip over the weekend and they say that they are planing for a big year next year. they said that they were fixing up their club rooms last season and that led to losing a few guys during the year as well as blokes not wanting to be around the place. Should see them go well next year.

Balwyn haven't left yet, they'll make the move in 2008.

We've picked up a few blokes from Noble Park so far and only lost 1 player due to retirement.

Balwyn & Heidelberg will both be playing in Eastern division 1 next year after applications to join Eastern FL. Eastern FL clubs voted in favour of these 2 clubs joining for 2007 tonight so just need Football Victoria to sign of on the clubs transfers.

Is this movement of clubs between leagues a common ocurrence in Metro comps? Clubs don't move around a lot in the VCFL although it does happen. I guess the EFL is more hughly rated or stable than the SFL?

Grimmett said:
Is this movement of clubs between leagues a common ocurrence in Metro comps? Clubs don't move around a lot in the VCFL although it does happen. I guess the EFL is more highly rated or stable than the SFL?
Wouldn't say its a common occurence. The majority of metro clubs have been in their leagues for a long time, just like the country clubs.

EFL division 1 would definently be a higher standard of football then the SFL division 1.

muesli said:
Wouldn't say its a common occurence. The majority of metro clubs have been in their leagues for a long time, just like the country clubs.

EFL division 1 would definently be a higher standard of football then the SFL division 1.
I'll go as far and say divi 2 is better than divi 1 in the SFL.

An Independent Panel of different Football Experts & Personalities was put together to thoroughly analyze the standards of our Competitions. Players, Competitions were viewed to find out the Best Standard Competitions. Team Lists, profile players & Finals watched were other key elements in our findings.

1. VFL Seniors
2. Eastern FL (A Grade)
3. VFL Reserves
4. Ovens & Murray FL
5. A Grade Amateurs (VAFA)
6. Goulburn Valley FL
7. Essendon District FL (A Grade)
8. Geelong FL
9. Bendigo FL
10. Diamond Valley FL (A Grade)
11. Ballarat FL
12. Western Region FL (A Grade)
13. B Grade Amateurs (VAFA)
14. Southern FL (A Grade)
15. Central Murray FL
16. Eastern FL (B Grade)
17. Riddell FL (A Grade)
18. Essendon District FL (B Grade)
19. Geelong District FL
20. Sunraysia FL

2000 RATINGS –
1. VFL Seniors 2. VFL Reserves 3. A Grade Amateurs (VAFA)
4. Ovens & Murray 5. Ballarat FL 6. Eastern FL
7. Diamond Valley 8. Geelong FL 9. Goulburn Valley
10. Bendigo FL

Football Analysor said:
An Independent Panel of different Football Experts & Personalities was put together to thoroughly analyze the standards of our Competitions. Players, Competitions were viewed to find out the Best Standard Competitions. Team Lists, profile players & Finals watched were other key elements in our findings.

1. VFL Seniors
2. Eastern FL (A Grade)
3. VFL Reserves
4. Ovens & Murray FL
6. Goulburn Valley FL
8. Geelong FL
9. Bendigo FL
11. Ballarat FL
15. Central Murray FL
16. Eastern FL (B Grade)
17. Riddell FL (A Grade)
19. Geelong District FL
20. Sunraysia FL

2000 RATINGS –
1. VFL Seniors 2. VFL Reserves 3. A Grade Amateurs (VAFA)
4. Ovens & Murray 5. Ballarat FL 6. Eastern FL
7. Diamond Valley 8. Geelong FL 9. Goulburn Valley
10. Bendigo FL

The SFL at its best would struggle against a top 4 Divisin D1 side in the VAFA.

The SFL pay their top guns and the rest are S##t.

When will the SFL fold for the good of football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it true that the southern leauge is going to fold and the stronger clubs with cash will be going into the eastern league and the rest into the amatuers?????????????????

andrew jarman said:
Is it true that the southern leauge is going to fold and the stronger clubs with cash will be going into the eastern league and the rest into the amatuers?????????????????

Not likely, judging by Hampton Hammer's comments. He is the coach of Hampton in Division 2, so I'd say he'd have a pretty fair knowledge of what's going on.

However, I reckon this review is the final roll of the dice for the SFL. If the outcomes reached as a result of this don't help, then the comp could well be gone.

FWIW, I played Division 1 and 2 SFL (my club was relegated while I was interstate with work), and when I got back in 2004 I thought the comp had gone downhill (maybe that was to do with being in the lower division). Beyond the top 4-5 Division One sides, it definitely falls away a bit (and one of those is the EFL-bound Balwyn). I now play D1 Ammo's (C Grade next year), and would suggest my current side would beat my old club.

The problem here is that a lot of clubs either don't have the cash, or choose not to spend it on the right kind of player to boost the league's profile. In a lot of cases, SFL clubs may well be better served by going Amateur...

Anyways, just my thoughts on it all, hope it all goes well

Cheers

Phantom Strobler said:

While I agree that the standard of the SFL may not be as good as other comps, I can't see how disbanding a competition of 30 clubs would be for the good of football? Good, bad or indifferent, football is a game that should allow for champions, average joes and battlers alike to have a kick with their mates or at their local clubs. Clubs of all sorts have proud and not so proud traditions but all in all they provide for kids and men to have a kick on a Saturday, go out with their mates after the game (and sometimes all weekend) and hopefully be successful by winning games and in turn playing finals football.

Whether the SFL is restructured or some other idea is developed, I can't see how you can say that folding is good for football.

hansie said:
Not likely, judging by Hampton Hammer's comments. He is the coach of Hampton in Division 2, so I'd say he'd have a pretty fair knowledge of what's going on.

However, I reckon this review is the final roll of the dice for the SFL. If the outcomes reached as a result of this don't help, then the comp could well be gone.

FWIW, I played Division 1 and 2 SFL (my club was relegated while I was interstate with work), and when I got back in 2004 I thought the comp had gone downhill (maybe that was to do with being in the lower division). Beyond the top 4-5 Division One sides, it definitely falls away a bit (and one of those is the EFL-bound Balwyn). I now play D1 Ammo's (C Grade next year), and would suggest my current side would beat my old club.

The problem here is that a lot of clubs either don't have the cash, or choose not to spend it on the right kind of player to boost the league's profile. In a lot of cases, SFL clubs may well be better served by going Amateur...

Anyways, just my thoughts on it all, hope it all goes well

Cheers

While I don't profess to know all about the SFL, I do have a little bit of an idea as our previous coach is one of the new guys on the SFL committee and our club's committee are well versed in the strengths and weaknesses of the SFL as a whole. You are on the money as to last roll of the dice but effectively it should and hopefully will be the AFL's job to come in and support the league to get it right. Unfortunately the biggest problem facing local football is the increasing lack of club volunteers. Local businesses are not in the same position as they used to be in years gone by to offload cash to clubs at free will which makes it very hard for clubs to pay for players let alone pay increasing indemnity insurance bills, league bills/fees, umpires and medical items (strapping tape most notably). You will find that a few of clubs in the SFL (at least 6) are as close to "Amatuer" as you will get paying only coaching staff and offering awards of varying levels to weekly best players.

Hampton Hammer said:
While I don't profess to know all about the SFL, I do have a little bit of an idea as our previous coach is one of the new guys on the SFL committee and our club's committee are well versed in the strengths and weaknesses of the SFL as a whole. You are on the money as to last roll of the dice but effectively it should and hopefully will be the AFL's job to come in and support the league to get it right. Unfortunately the biggest problem facing local football is the increasing lack of club volunteers. Local businesses are not in the same position as they used to be in years gone by to offload cash to clubs at free will which makes it very hard for clubs to pay for players let alone pay increasing indemnity insurance bills, league bills/fees, umpires and medical items (strapping tape most notably). You will find that a few of clubs in the SFL (at least 6) are as close to "Amatuer" as you will get paying only coaching staff and offering awards of varying levels to weekly best players.

Isn't the league currently seeking a CEO? Surely that would be a step in the right direction regarding ensuring the league's future.

Hampton Hammer said:

spot on HH- im a Canterbury player and we are currently in this position, with no qualms from our playing group and it seems to be common amongst a few Div2 teams...
we're just waiting on the leagues decision regarding which Div we are playing in next year- due to the possibility of balwyn leaving Div1 and the top div3 team rumoured to have extreme list issues and may not make the jump up to div 2?

Phantom Strobler said:

Having seen a fair bit of C Grade Ammo's footy this year i can confidently state that the top five teams in SFL Division 1 would flog any team in VAFA D1, while the bottom five would be around the finals mark. I think that the equivalent standard of the top SFL Div 1 teams is VAFA C Grade.

Just on your point that "The SFL pay their top guns and the rest are S##t."
Whilst at the bottom end of the competition there are some blokes that struggle, most blokes playing in Div 1 would walk into most if not all C-D4 sides.

Finally, would it be good for football if the SFL did fold, and the clubs that have worked their backsides off to be in a good position on and off the field had to go into the VAFA D4??? I dont see how that is going to benefit anyone, if anything you will have more clubs fold than there is now.

maca01 said:
Having seen a fair bit of C Grade Ammo's footy this year i can confidently state that the top five teams in SFL Division 1 would flog any team in VAFA D1, while the bottom five would be around the finals mark. I think that the equivalent standard of the top SFL Div 1 teams is VAFA C Grade.

Just on your point that "The SFL pay their top guns and the rest are S##t."
Whilst at the bottom end of the competition there are some blokes that struggle, most blokes playing in Div 1 would walk into most if not all C-D4 sides.

Finally, would it be good for football if the SFL did fold, and the clubs that have worked their backsides off to be in a good position on and off the field had to go into the VAFA D4??? I dont see how that is going to benefit anyone, if anything you will have more clubs fold than there is now.

Dont get me wrong but I feel if you are paying your top five what about the other battlers who flog their guts out week in week out.

You will see what I mean with the demise of Parkmore who lost their cash cow. They now have no money therefore no gun mercenaries. They wont win a game next year

In the VAFA club I belong to we dont pay so everyone is equal. But Ive got to say we have been drained by the SFL clubs in our local area with offers of money.

So we nurture a young kid through the ranks and along comes a SFL club and offers the 18 year old $150 and he says goodbye. The sooner this predator comp folds the better. Let these clubs join the VAFA as have many others from the SFL

Hampton Hammer said:
At Highett every player who plays in the 1's gets $30 as a reward, you lose $10 for missing training, not showing to to team meetings or not staying past 7:30 after a home game.

The most any of the paid players get is $200 a game, the skipper gets a bit more because well he's our best player as well as our losngest serving.
The SFL isn't the ones taking players, its the likes of the EFL. Last years SFL B&F winner went to Noble Park after the start of the season, the winner the year before left for a richer league.

1. VFL Seniors
2. Eastern FL (A Grade)
3. VFL Reserves
4. Ovens & Murray FL
6. Goulburn Valley FL
8. Geelong FL
9. Bendigo FL
11. Ballarat FL
15. Central Murray FL
16. Eastern FL (B Grade)
17. Riddell FL (A Grade)
19. Geelong District FL
20. Sunraysia FL

If you have a look at the above list that was posted earlier in this thread about standard of footy, i think that you will find the list wouldnt change much if it was in order of $$$ paid to players (with the exception of the ammo's, who as they claim 'dont pay anyone'......). I think you will find the 'old boys' factor is nearly as big as the $$ factor.

The point i am am making is that in local footy, who ever has the most cash has the most power and in most cases, that is the Div 1 EFL clubs. SFL clubs lose their better players to leagues above them on that list every year, just as C-D4 ammo clubs would lose their players to the SFL and clubs above them on the list. The only players you see leaving Div 1 EFL are those who are too old to cut it at that level anymore and return to lesser leagues to finish their careers. Their arent too many high rated recruits leaving the EFL these days.

I know Ash Brownjohn from the Beena in Div 2 who kicked close to 40 on the half forward flank and lead the team in the goal kicking gets little to no coin. Whats the story with the coin in the SFL because I reckon players of his skill could score at least 100 bucks at some clubs??? I've heard of hacks in other leagues getting paid plenty

The league survey is only an opinion, all clubs in Div 1 pay players & as for the standard many players ex afl/vfl have struggled in SFL, the comp is underrated and plenty of players have left sfl and gone and played good footy in eastern& western leagues, have watched finals in all comps and the good sides are similiar in all comps its just the depth that separates comps as a whole, rumor has it big news pending at a div 1 club in regards to coaching,hopefully the new board will resurrect the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back