Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I am looking forward to heading out to Pontville for the Brighton/Claremont game, would be very interesting to see how both go.

Josh Grant will be back at Claremont for one game this weekend.

I am looking forward to heading out to Pontville for the Brighton/Claremont game, would be very interesting to see how both go.

Josh Grant will be back at Claremont for one game this weekend.

Brightons heritage game too, called mangalore for the game and wearing a mangalore strip. Talking to my Claremont mate they are hoping to spoil the party

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Brightons heritage game too, called mangalore for the game and wearing a mangalore strip. Talking to my Claremont mate they are hoping to spoil the party

So when I am doing the scores I should post Mangalore? Just want to make sure I get it right on the SFL page.

🎽 SFL Seniors – Round 3.
Huonville Lions 11.15 (81) d Sorell 7.14 (56)
Brighton 12.12 (84) d Claremont 5.8 (38)
Cygnet 11.15 (81) d Lindisfarne 5.9 (39)
Bye: Dodges Ferry & New Norfolk.
❇ CY (8), BR (8), HV (8), DF (8), CM (4) | LF (0), SO (0), NN (0)

🎽 SFL Reserves – Round 3.
Dodges Ferry 12.11 (83) d Hobart 10.2 (62)
Huonville Lions 9.8 (62) d Sorell 8.5 (53)
Brighton 13.11 (89) d Claremont 1.6 (12)
Lindisfarne 9.13 (67) d Cygnet 5.7 (37)
Bye: New Norfolk.
❇ DF (12), CY (8), CM (8), BR (8), HV (8) | LF (4), SO (0), HB (0), NN (0)

🎽 SFL Colts – Round 3.
Brighton 8.9 (57) d Claremont 2.8 (20)
Southern Storm 11.7 (73) d Lindisfarne 10.8 (68)
Bye: Dodges Ferry, Huonville Lions & New Norfolk.
❇ BR (10), DF (6), SS (4), CM (4) | LF (0), NN (0) | HV (0)

How lame was that though, calling themselves "Mangalore" for one game.
They've been called Brighton for about 27 years now.
Shouldda stayed as Mangalore, more successful than Brighton have ever been since changing their name.
Would be like Glenorchy changing their name to "New Town" for one game, or Hobart calling themselves "Cananore" or Kingborough calling themselves "Kingston" again once a year.
Bit of trivia, did you know their used to be a team called 'Brighton' that played long ago when Mangalore was still about?
Different club to the current 'Brighton' though.

Anyone know what’s happened to Allison from Claremont?

Seemed super fit pre season but then I noticed he was assisting the coaches on the weekend , knee perhaps?

Huonville gave Dodges a pretty big touchup at Dodges on the weekend, overheard that it was Dodges lowest score at home since joining the SFL about 20 years back.
The Farne gave New Norfolk an even bigger belting, 154 points and kicked 200 in the process with Josh Green in double figures.
Sorell had a surprise win over the Mont at Abbotsfield to jump into the five.
Brighton and the Port had the day off.
Who's responsible for the SFL facebook page these days, score updates are hopeless and all over the place on it, no final results or anything, shit look for the league!!

So its announced that the state league is finishing up after next season, the SFL will probably end up as a two division comp.

Who would be the two divisions?

1 ‐ Clarence, North Hobart, Lauderdale, Kingston, Glenorchy, Huonville, Lindisfarne?

2) Cygnet, Claremont, Sorell, Dodges, Brighton, New Norfolk, Hobart?

Promotion and relegation a chance? Would be good.

So its announced that the state league is finishing up after next season, the SFL will probably end up as a two division comp.

1 ‐ Clarence, North Hobart, Lauderdale, Kingston, Glenorchy, Huonville, Lindisfarne?

Let’s hope it’s promotion/relegation.

Hobart I still have huge doubts on getting back.

I’ve heard Brighton will ask to be Div 1 initially but I think it initially should be top 2 teams.

Play each team 3 times so 18 games in each season per Div.

Point system weighted to make it very hard tor multiple players dropping down divisions to the same side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let’s hope it’s promotion/relegation.

Hobart I still have huge doubts on getting back.

I’ve heard Brighton will ask to be Div 1 initially but I think it initially should be top 2 teams.

Play each team 3 times so 18 games in each season per Div.

Point system weighted to make it very hard tor multiple players dropping down divisions to the same side.
Itd add something different to it, it wouldn't be as same old as it has been in the past.

Brighton are going ok, got good kids coming through but a long way off being a div 1 side, tend to get a bit excited out that way after a couple of wins, they never beat the good sides though.
Re: Hobart, I think the next couple of months will tell where they're at, if they aren't proactive then they won't be back in my opinion either.
After the good crowd at their first game most of their following seems to have dropped right off.
Hate to say it but I think the writing may be on the wall for them. Time will tell.
I reckon attracting decent players might be difficult given they're apparently pretty reluctant to spend $, heard a rumour the other day they cleared big Huxley to Claremont and told him never to come back to the club.
Agree re points system but whinging clubs and players might end up a fly in the soup with all that, the usual SFL thing, don't want to be challenged, players all flock to the winning clubs or ones offering the most coin, train a little bit, win cheap flags etc, same crap that's always held it back.

Brighton into div 1 and Cygnet over Huonville- juniors in play and a even spread geographically

Sorell potentially in time would make sense given location and faculties

Good win for Sorell over the weekend over Brighton.
They've been quietly sneaking along with some good wins and are sitting third now after a bad start to the year.
Not sure they're up there with the likes of Huonville and Port but a good start nevetheless.
Huonville easily flag favourite with Daniel Archer down there, Cygnet still looking strong, Brighton are on par with Sorell with Lindisfarne probably in that bracket too.
Dodges? Well they seem to have concentrated all their efforts on their womens team and taken their eye off the ball with the seniors much like what happened with Claremont a few years back.
Claremont struggling in second last, thought they might have a better year tbh, picked up a few but haven't really fired, beat New Norfolk but that's it.
New Norfolk really battling, several heavy defeats, only game they went close in was at Sorell.
Got done by 116 by Huonville at Boyer on Saturday, would have to be back in the late 80s the last time they suffered a defeat that big up there. Tough times ahead you'd suggest.

This week Dodges and the Mont play at Shark Park, I'm tipping an upset. Sharks have no decent forward line.
Cygnet should smash New Norfolk at Channel.
Huonville to do likewise to Brighton at Huonville.
Although, this'll be a huge test for Brighton up against good opposition, if they're competitive it'll give them a lot of confidence.

New Norfolk really battling, several heavy defeats, only game they went close in was at Sorell.
Got done by 116 by Huonville at Boyer on Saturday, would have to be back in the late 80s the last time they suffered a defeat that big up there.
8th August 1998. They were given a 25.17 (167) to 5.6 (36) drubbing by Devonport in their guise as "Port Power" under Max Brown.
Their biggest defeat at Boyer was 166 points by North Hobart on 5th August 1989 when the Dees clocked a 38.15 (243) to 11.11 (77) win.

Unprecedented with New Norfolk forfeiting tomorrow's game to Cygnet due to injuries and covid etc. Can't ever recall a whole three games being called off before.

Unprecedented with New Norfolk forfeiting tomorrow's game to Cygnet due to injuries and covid etc. Can't ever recall a whole three games being called off before.
Yerp.

Apparently they may re-schedule?

Welcome to the new world with teams playing just reserves and others forfeiting whole days due to injuries and sickness as there are no back ups.

Colts and women's are still playing just no ressies or seniors. Apparently the game has been rescheduled, not sure how it can still be listed as a forfeit if they're going to be playing the games at a later date.

I wonder if he came good with the amount he allegedly owed Hobart or if the famous Campania financier did? I’m guessing the latter.
Not actually sure this time. If it is the type of $ I have heard, I find it hard to believe they would have.

If they were going to pay it, I thought they would have from day 1. Would likely have been sitting 2nd ATM, if they had.

Not actually sure this time. If it is the type of $ I have heard, I find it hard to believe they would have.

If they were going to pay it, I thought they would have from day 1. Would likely have been sitting 2nd ATM, if they had.
Considering the amount involved was significant I would assume a third party was involved. No disrespect but Gilmour just goes from club to club leaving problems in his wake. Why do clubs want to take him on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back