Staging

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm interested to know...if Buddy is warned after the siren that as he comes in for a shot, if he deviates from his line it's "play on", why is that not enacted in general play?

The umpires words,"you know the situation,must run a straight line,can't run around." So it's obvious the rules of the game are being stretched in general play for this individual.The real question is WHY.

I'm interested to know...if Buddy is warned after the siren that as he comes in for a shot, if he deviates from his line it's "play on", why is that not enacted in general play?

It's all about his "natural arch"... I recon Hawkins should tell the Umps that his "natural Arch" takes him goalside of the man on the mark!:D

Why is there special rules for one player and their 'natural arch'? Absolute joke and only got a kick on Monday by flopping.

Except that I can't see that the umps are making a special rule for Buddy.
Mind you, I guess the dear boy needs all the help he can get, but that instruction is pretty much a standard thing when a free is taken after the siren. It's not just said to Buddy.

Mind you, I guess the dear boy needs all the help he can get, but that instruction is pretty much a standard thing when a free is taken after the siren. It's not just said to Buddy.

Well there was an example on monday.

Buddys shot after the siren was a clear play on call, yet it wasnt called and the siren had sounded.

Well there was an example on monday.

Buddys shot after the siren was a clear play on call, yet it wasnt called and the siren had sounded.

This has always annoyed me! It's a fault with HIS kicking which the AFL accomodate. If you throw it rather than handball it they don't call "play on" because you happen to have a "poor technique". :mad:

You maybe right but that's another pet hate of mine, the umpires are there to adjudicate on the play not to coach and if a player in that situation did happen to play on then and only then should the umpire explain the rule to the player if required.It's up to the players to know the rules.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is there special rules for one player and their 'natural arch'? Absolute joke and only got a kick on Monday by flopping.

He isn't the only player with an arc. This wasn't called play on either

[YOUTUBE]Z7WEB_iftz4[/YOUTUBE]

Bartel asks the umpire where Maxwell will be standing...the ump obviously let's him know whereabouts Maxwell's spot for the mark is.

Bartel starts his approach at around a 45° angle even though the spot where he marked the ball is slightly further around to the right, he makes sure he deviates to the spot he marked the ball in those final 3 steps so technically he hasn't actually improved the angle from where he originally took the mark.

This example is the only one which Hawthorn supporters continually bring up when the Franklin "arc" debate is talked about.
I am sure you could not find me another Bartel video where it looks as though he deviates (the arc) could you?

Franklin is a prime example of a player who uses the arc to improve the angle to the goals and the umpires must have been notified for whatever reason as he's been doing it his entire career until recently.

In fairness I think it is a "natural" arc of sorts because he uses it when kicking for goal on the left side as well, which in fact narrows the angle available. But the point remains that he deviates significantly from his line and should then be called play on as long as the defenders are 5 metres away when he starts his run in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back