Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Haha the forgotten team our best mention will be if we lose to Carlton this week.
Knowing of course that if we do beat Carlton the only thing spoken about by this rabble media will be "how did Carlton lose? No McCartin for the Swans so Harry and Charlie just had an off night. Won't happen again."

lol. It's going to take a 3-peat before some of the media genuinely rate us as a threat and even then all the talk will immediately switch to academies

I like how we don't have enough talent until we do and they whinge about academies

I mean, I'm fine with someone saying there unsure about a certain part of our lineup, but it would be good if they could explain what exactly it is they're worried about.
My concerns would be:
1) if the opposition is able to effectively penetrate our defence, which has held up so far except in three games: Richmond, Essendon and to a lesser extent WCE. Hopefully we have learnt enough to repair those gaps.
2) if the opposition is able to choke our slice and dice attack. So far no-one has but Geelong would be the team to do it if anyone can.
That said, we are strong and may yet get stronger.

My concerns would be:
1) if the opposition is able to effectively penetrate our defence, which has held up so far except in three games: Richmond, Essendon and to a lesser extent WCE. Hopefully we have learnt enough to repair those gaps.
2) if the opposition is able to choke our slice and dice attack. So far no-one has but Geelong would be the team to do it if anyone can.
I feel like that's an issue for most teams. I dunno, it's kind of like people saying "If the opposition applies elite pressure and cuts off our preferred method of ball movement, they've got us." It's certainly true, but it's true for every team.

I feel like that's an issue for most teams. I dunno, it's kind of like people saying "If the opposition applies elite pressure and cuts off our preferred method of ball movement, they've got us." It's certainly true, but it's true for every team.
Just responding to your post with my specific concerns. There are others, but those are the biggies for now that I believe oppo coaches will be working on. I doubt that even the best journos/analysts will be able to get any deeper than that. Clubs of course must.

Last edited:

Ok, fess up. Which of you lot are they referring to??
I like how after sympathizing they then go on to dismiss us in the same way as everyone else...

"there may not be an elite team right now but they’re the closest thing to it"

So sitting a game clear with massive percentage, having dealt with every other finals side we've played without breaking a sweat doesn't make us elite? I'd love to know what does, and which teams have previously met this elite criteria.at round 9.

I don't particularly care for the media's recognition. It's nice to hear our game style and players discussed but I don't pine for their approval, I just find it strange how they seem to treat our performance so far as some weird anomaly. "Yeah look, the swans have been great but we know they don't really belong up there"

It's like they have a few sides they really want to talk up as the form team and we're ruining it for them by inconveniently sitting on top of the ladder.

This article was a nice little.pump up and had a lot going for it until this

"Don’t let any Sydney fan bemoan the loss of COLA to you again while enjoying the benefits of those players running riot."

They still don't get it. Academies are required purely to offset the loss off COLA. Without it we'd be losing players left right and centre and we'd just be feeding all the traditional states.

Should have left that back handed compliment out as it ruined a decent piece.

15May24: Swans Daily Media New
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My concerns would be:

I might rue saying this but I don’t fear Geelong as much as other sides. The number of old players who frankly are on their last legs is not a good match up for our athletic side who are running on top of the ground. I’ll happily be proven wrong, but I’m not convinced that they are gonna continue being this good in terms of pressure against sides like ours who can break tackles and overlap to cut their zone apart.

We’ve also got the personnel to sit on Tom Stewart which is essential when you play Geelong. Jordon, Hayward, or Wicks can do that job and it’ll probably be Jordon. We’ve got a ruck who can dominate Rhys Stanley or Toby Conway if they opt to go young.

I think Geelong aren’t as much of a contender as their ladder position suggests, personally. A contender, sure, but not one of the best three sides in it imo.

I think some of the conservatism is also steeped in fact - that our grand final performances have not met expectations. As fans, in our heart of hearts, we are also not convinced we turn up as well as we should on the big day.

I like fast players.

Insight and “say the line” material. What a combo.

I admit that I've let out frustrations once or twice
I don't blame you. We could go undefeated for the year, win every final by 5 goals and post the GF all the talk will be about how Essendon won their first final in 10,000 years, the Pies came back from a bad start, how Geelong keep on playing finals and never bottoming out and how Carlton once again made it to a prelim

I like how after sympathizing they then go on to dismiss us in the same way as everyone else...

"there may not be an elite team right now but they’re the closest thing to it"

So sitting a game clear with massive percentage, having dealt with every other finals side we've played without breaking a sweat doesn't make us elite? I'd love to know what does, and which teams have previously met this elite criteria.at round 9.

I don't particularly care for the media's recognition. It's nice to hear our game style and players discussed but I don't pine for their approval, I just find it strange how they seem to treat our performance so far as some weird anomaly. "Yeah look, the swans have been great but we know they don't really belong up there"

It's like they have a few sides they really want to talk up as the form team and we're ruining it for them by inconveniently sitting on top of the ladder.
Reading it just pissed me off. "They're good but not that good" despite being statistically better than everyone else this season. It feels like they want us to lose so they can go "see, told you" like they did when we lost to Richmond and didn't beat the Eagles by 170 again

I think some of the conservatism is also steeped in fact - that our grand final performances have not met expectations. As fans, in our heart of hearts, we are also not convinced we turn up as well as we should on the big day.

I like fast players.
We've never had a team quite like this before.
As good as the team was 2012 - 2016, it was a whole different dynamic and game plan to the 2024 version and we were simply too young and inexperienced in 2022.

I like fast players.
There is truth to this, but (and maybe it's misguided optimism) there's something about this team that I really trust.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back