Media Swans Talk in the Media 2024

Our club in the Media

Remove this Banner Ad

I love these stats.
Stats dont lie and Hoynie, who, when at the pub talking footy stats I refer to as 'The Oracle', is an exceptional stats man.
The Oracle says...
"8 times in the last 14 years has a team had a percentage 15% or more than the next best and only once in those 8 times has that team won the flag".
I was very disappointed when The Oracle failed to mention the other relevant historical stats - I guess he was pressed for time as he hadn't mentioned Collingwood, Carlton or Essendon yet..
So when a team after round 10 has a percentage of 25% better than the next best
- 12 times in the last 14 years has a team had the 2nd best percentage and never in those 12 times has that team won the flag.
- 9 times in the last 9 years has a team had the 3rd best percentage and never in those 9 times has that team won the flag.
- 15 times in the last 16 years has a team had the 4th best percentage and never in those 15 times has that team won the flag.
- 8 times in the last 10 years has a team had the 5th best percentage and never in those 8 times has that team won the flag.
- 7 times in the last 7 years has a team had the 6th best percentage and never in those 7 times has that team won the flag.
- 14 times in the last 15 years has a team had the 3rd best percentage and never in those 14 times has that team won the flag.
and to conclude..
- 5 times in the last 20 years has a team had a percentage 25% or more than the next best and all five of those times that team has won the flag.

Like me, The Oracle loves history. "History doesn't lie" he regularly says, and this slice of history is saying that the Swans are 100% going to win the flag.
Get excited Swans fans!

I might be missing something, but what do you mean 15 times in the last 16 years has a team had the 4th best percentage? Surely every year someone has the 4th best percentage?

I might be missing something, but what do you mean 15 times in the last 16 years has a team had the 4th best percentage? Surely every year someone has the 4th best percentage?
You're missing that none of it makes sense. - I just made all that sh*t up to express a view that stats in isolation can say what ever you want them to - Daniel Hoyne (who is no oracle) is an expert at this
but.. by pure fluke, I might be correct???

There is a picture of Chris Hemsworth as Thor at Granville station, looked great in the past but someone has recently drewn a c*** and balls on his face,
No loss.
175eb9b0-1f63-11ec-bef6-e5a0b11047e1

You're missing that none of it makes sense. - I just made all that sh*t up to express a view that stats in isolation can say what ever you want them to - Daniel Hoyne (who is no oracle) is an expert at this
but.. by pure fluke, I might be correct???

Ah thanks because I skimmed through that thinking this doesn't make sense. My irony radar not on today.

The real stat that I want to highlight is that teams that are top of the table at round 10 win the premiership roughly 50% of the time (source: me). So peaking early is a bit of a thing and it's important to be in form in August and September.

Another post highlighting Justin being super efficient going inside 50.

Surprised it's not Errol for us, he's usually top of that sort of stat.

Surprised it's not Errol for us, he's usually top of that sort of stat.
Is it based on an efficiency percentage? McInerney is a good kick into the forward 50 but he doesn’t try the insane kicks that Gulden sometimes tries (and often pulls off). His percentage completion will be reduced because they often don’t come off.

I love these stats.
Stats dont lie and Hoynie, who, when at the pub talking footy stats I refer to as 'The Oracle', is an exceptional stats man.
The Oracle says...
"8 times in the last 14 years has a team had a percentage 15% or more than the next best and only once in those 8 times has that team won the flag".
I was very disappointed when The Oracle failed to mention the other relevant historical stats - I guess he was pressed for time as he hadn't mentioned Collingwood, Carlton or Essendon yet..
So when a team after round 10 has a percentage of 25% better than the next best
- 12 times in the last 14 years has a team had the 2nd best percentage and never in those 12 times has that team won the flag.
- 9 times in the last 9 years has a team had the 3rd best percentage and never in those 9 times has that team won the flag.
- 15 times in the last 16 years has a team had the 4th best percentage and never in those 15 times has that team won the flag.
- 8 times in the last 10 years has a team had the 5th best percentage and never in those 8 times has that team won the flag.
- 7 times in the last 7 years has a team had the 6th best percentage and never in those 7 times has that team won the flag.
- 14 times in the last 15 years has a team had the 3rd best percentage and never in those 14 times has that team won the flag.
and to conclude..
- 5 times in the last 20 years has a team had a percentage 25% or more than the next best and all five of those times that team has won the flag.

Like me, The Oracle loves history. "History doesn't lie" he regularly says, and this slice of history is saying that the Swans are 100% going to win the flag.
Get excited Swans fans!

On a positive note we will be able to release a better streak than the Saints 2004 DVD.

I mean who really knows if we have peaked how do even measure that? Geelong were 5-4 in 2022 and didnt lose again for the entire season.

So if your good enough there is no reason why we cant keep winning.

Is it based on an efficiency percentage? McInerney is a good kick into the forward 50 but he doesn’t try the insane kicks that Gulden sometimes tries (and often pulls off). His percentage completion will be reduced because they often don’t come off.

Perhaps but even on an efficiency basis I think Gulden was league leading last year (maybe behind Miers).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know if this was highlighted but "The Moments that Matter" vid on the official YouTube account highlighted Rowbottom's 15 tackles. Really good to see the focus on the tough stuff Rowbottom is doing that sets a platform for everything else, especially our scores off turnovers.

Don't know if this was highlighted but "The Moments that Matter" vid on the official YouTube account highlighted Rowbottom's 15 tackles. Really good to see the focus on the tough stuff Rowbottom is doing that sets a platform for everything else, especially our scores off turnovers.

he almost never slips off, or is shrugged off a tackle
in that clip it happens once, at the end, which was about the third or fourth tackle he'd made in about 15 seconds of relentless pursuit, and the one he slid off he chased into grundy's arms and we got the free kick anyway ... and it probably should've gone to rowbottom earlier
just about the most relentless as well as being the most effective tackler i can recall ... in 40-odd years

Rowbottom gets overlooked by the media and even a lot of fans because he doesn't get the disposals or score involvements that others do.

The amount of times he is directly responsible for the ball going from the hands of the opposition into the hands of one of his teammates is so astronomical that if they were counted as disposals and score involvements he'd be leading the entire competition in both stats by a country mile.

Said it before but any media discussion of our midfield that doesn't begin with Rowbottom can get in the bin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back