Official Club Stuff Syd Barker Night [SBM: Jy / 2nd: LDU / 3rd: Bailey]

Remove this Banner Ad

Reaction GIF

That dude was a GP. Wonder what his appointments were like?

The below is my ‘75 Weg. It’s not in the best condition and is missing some of the poster due to it being ripped when I got it.

Regardless it has sentimental value to me and I wouldn’t get rid of it.

View attachment 1496991
I'll take a picture of the in-law's posters when I can. They are COVID positive just now but I will most likely be doing a grocery drop soon enough.

Don’t want to read too much into things - he‘s a kid, seems pretty introverted and wouldn’t be used to speaking in front of crowds - but I noticed Bailey did not thank his teammates, which is generally a staple of these speeches. And then made a point of thanking Sonja, which isn’t usual. An interesting young man, who thoroughly deserved his third place for his consistent hard work this year.

Good pick-up. Strikes me as an atypical footy kid - very softly spoken and understated. Could glean from his studies/demeanour that there's less common ground for him with a lot of teammates.

He probably won't ever be the guy leading the conga lines on end of season trips but provided he feels comfortable in the environment he can still continue to thrive.

A guys like Daniel Wells (an reserved teetotaller) gives me faith these square pegs can still fit into the typically blokey AFL environment. The commentary around Sonja suggests to me Bailey might be more comfortable debriefing and sharing thoughts with more mature, considered types of people than the usual lads around his age. Wouldn't be surprised if becomes someone we hear having D&Ms with Clarkson in the future.

This is all very speculative observation made from a great distance though.

1662082355680.png

Fun fact #7081- 8/10 have been bagged on here more often that not and not highly rated.
It is a sad state of affairs our current pickle.
The deeper one looks the more likely multiple PP's.

Wow this is a huge indictment on Noble, huge.

Saying that, it also gives me great hope that if we turn our workplace back into a professional environment then we could rise up the ladder pretty quickly.

We already have some key pieces in place; LDU, Jy, Buckets, Larkey, Bull, Bailey, JHF, Curtis, etc.. get Tarryn and Sleevo back on the bus, throw in some key trades and extra draft picks and anything could happen.

I can’t understand this to be honest.

If Noble was losing players, and going overly hard on them, like we have been told, how could he be lax on standards at the same time?

If Noble was losing players, and going overly hard on them, like we have been told, how could he be lax on standards at the same time?
Maybe he wanted player standards to be professional but wasn't setting them himself.. all lip service maybe?..

Correct, he declined the champagne when they offered it. A few of the other players were giving him a bit of stick about it
I would have declined Champagne as well. Would have asked for scotch instead.

There’s a French term for it…
Lè clüste de Fuch

The commentary around Sonja suggests to me Bailey might be more comfortable debriefing and sharing thoughts with more mature, considered types of people than the usual lads around his age.
Being an engineering student and a professional AFL player at the same time must be a little like having a double life.
I can't imagine there would be too many team mates with whom he can discuss the finer points of engineering principles.
But I can see how Sonja could represent a bridge between the seemingly distinct worlds of his academic pursuits and his club room.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get the feeling Scott may have been looking at getting out midway through the year. Despite loving the club and feeling a debt of gratitude, the complete breakdown under Noble was just too much. He’s thrilled that the admin has got its s**t together with appointing Clarkson, and he can stick it out where he really wants to be.
I can confirm that is the case.

Speeches

Sonja : 2022 Syd Barker Medal: Dr Sonja Hood speech

Patch: 2022 Syd Barker Medal: Leigh Adams speech

Ziebs: 2022 Syd Barker Medal: Jack Ziebell speech

Jy: 2022 Syd Barker Medal: Jy Simpkin speech

Clarko: 2022 Syd Barker Medal: Alastair Clarkson speech

Last edited:
Was it just me or do you reckon Clarko had a couple of schooners to settle the nerves before that call to arms?..

BTW I would still run through a sealed bank safe for him even if he was pissed as a cricket..
May have done but it wasn't on the complimentary Colonials, as he didn't show up until it was time for his speech (understandable IMO not wanting to be mobbed all night when he hasn't even started yet). Left his dessert untouched which is a shame because it was very tasty.

May have done but it wasn't on the complimentary Colonials, as he didn't show up until it was time for his speech (understandable IMO not wanting to be mobbed all night when he hasn't even started yet). Left his dessert untouched which is a shame because it was very tasty.
Breaking News:

Showing what people fear may be just a taste of his hard-nosed style, Alistair Clarkson has controversially ignored his dessert at last nights Best & Fairest. A source has revealed that it was ‘a shame’ and that the dessert ‘was very tasty’.
We contacted the dessert but they declined to comment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back