Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

I keep seeing suggestions for a 3rd WA team yet I don't one person here who thinks we need/wants one

Only a 3rd WA team because we probably need another team to go with Tasmania and WA really is the only option as South Australia almost had Port go under a few years ago, NSW and QLD definitely don't need another team and NT and Canberra are far too small to sustain a team.

Both West Coast and Fremantle are healthy, and right now and there are about 1.3 million people per team (comparison Victoria is 650,000 per team and SA is 800,000 per team) so adding a 3rd WA side would mean about 870,000 per team which is still well above the average.

Only a 3rd WA team because we probably need another team to go with Tasmania and WA really is the only option as South Australia almost had Port go under a few years ago, NSW and QLD definitely don't need another team and NT and Canberra are far too small to sustain a team.

Both West Coast and Fremantle are healthy, and right now and there are about 1.3 million people per team (comparison Victoria is 650,000 per team and SA is 800,000 per team) so adding a 3rd WA side would mean about 870,000 per team which is still well above the average.
Relocate North, keep the competition at 18 teams

I keep seeing suggestions for a 3rd WA team yet I don't one person here who thinks we need/wants one

A team for the south west would be nice now there's direct flights from Melbourne To Busselton if the population keeps growing at the rate it has the last 10 years

Canberra has 467k people and should be over 500k by 2030. Too small? GCS started at 536k people.

Yes 467,000 is to small, really need a minimum of 650,000, as for Gold Coast the actual Gold Coast area sure, but a lot more people than that live within an hours drive of Metricon.
Fair call. Wouldn't mind a 3rd WA team myself, not a relocated one. Joondalup or anywhere else would be way too small for a third team by 2030 I would've thought, so it'd be another Perth team, right?

People spruiking a N.T team have not lived in the Territory. Pre season would be horrendous in the Summer buildup. A Territorian coming down to Melbourne
Is like entering the Artic regions. Their bodys would shut down in the cold. Territorians turn the Heaters on at 18-20 Celsius. Winters would be good to play though during the dry season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope they are named the Devils or the Dambusters. Jumper should be dark green as well, maybe with black or dark brown
If I was involved within Tasmanian Sport then I'd discuss the idea of the AFL Football Team also using the same mascot of another team in that region.
In such a small market the importance of unity and cross promotion between different sports could be crucial for the coexistence and growth of every team.

Some people might hate the idea, I've never studied marketing but thought that for Tasmania to have a 'State Mascot' to incorporate the major sporting teams might be collectively beneficial in lifting each other up in a unique market.

If I could choose a Mascot for the major teams then Devils would be the one and yes I know that their Basketball Team has just come in using Jackjumpers.

People spruiking a N.T team have not lived in the Territory. Pre season would be horrendous in the Summer buildup. A Territorian coming down to Melbourne
Is like entering the Artic regions. Their bodys would shut down in the cold. Territorians turn the Heaters on at 18-20 Celsius. Winters would be good to play though during the dry season.
Set up their pre-season base in Joondalup and do a deal to sell some home games to WA?

Sure, but eventually they will have to play in the cold places e.gTassie, Canberra etc. Be a nightmare for them.
Global warming will take care of it in the future?

You never know in 30-40 years what teams you could have.

But for now (as in late 20s/early 30s) I'd be going team 19 Tassie and team 20 WA if it's a solid assessment that Canberra won't work yet. Then see in the mid-late 40s if a 3rd team in SA is doable and roll them out with Canberra for teams 21 and 22. If NT and Nth Qld are never doable then keep it at 22 teams.

Global warming will take care of it in the future?
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
It is my understanding Australia will get colder, but what do i know.
Have you visited Canberra? They are footy mad, playing it in schools etc. GWS should change their identity and move there. Opens it up for another Sydney team.

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
It is my understanding Australia will get colder, but what do i know.
Have you visited Canberra? They are footy mad, playing it in schools etc. GWS should change their identity and move there. Opens it up for another Sydney team.
"The IPCC says as the planet warms, future heatwaves in Australia – and globally – will be hotter and last longer. Conversely, cold extremes will be both less intense and frequent"

That's what they say, but who knows. shrugs I'll leave it at that, f*ck the political snowballing shenanigans these sorts of conversations lead to.

No, I haven't, but yeah, I've heard they're very much a footy lovers mob. One poster here reckons you need at least 650k people in Canberra for it to work -- maybe he's right. Population projections have that not being until the 2050s. I'm all for a Canberra team it's just a matter of when that is.

I understand the attractiveness of a 'national comp', but the truth is that footy is not a national game and that's OK. Founding GWS and GC was clearly motivated by money and not heart in an effort to force a reality that is not organic. It has not worked. These are not AFL states, and never will be, so why force it unless purely for expanded sponsors and revenue? We should be a decade into a league with a Tassie team and another in either WA or SA.

This might be the very antithesis to modern AFL strategy, but I say if you follow the heart of the game, then money will inevitably follow.

Tassie is a yes, since they are an AFL state and the support would grow organically. But right now, if we want a 20 team comp both SA and WA would easily accommodate a 3rd team. Let's be reminded of the fact that there is currently no actual Perth metropolitan team in the league right now, in a mad AFL state.

Why continue to risk new teams at a loss in a non-AFL states? It baffles me...does it really affect sponsors and TV deals that much?
Brissy have been running at a loss for the AFL thier entire history even when successful on the field (correct me if I'm wrong on this).

I understand the attractiveness of a 'national comp', but the truth is that footy is not a national game and that's OK. Founding GWS and GC was clearly motivated by money and not heart in an effort to force a reality that is not organic. It has not worked. These are not AFL states, and never will be, so why force it unless purely for expanded sponsors and revenue? We should be a decade into a league with a Tassie team and another in either WA or SA.

This might be the very antithesis to modern AFL strategy, but I say if you follow the heart of the game, then money will inevitably follow.

Tassie is a yes, since they are an AFL state and the support would grow organically. But right now, if we want a 20 team comp both SA and WA would easily accommodate a 3rd team. Let's be reminded of the fact that there is currently no actual Perth metropolitan team in the league right now, in a mad AFL state.

Why continue to risk new teams at a loss in a non-AFL states? It baffles me...does it really affect sponsors and TV deals that much?
Brissy have been running at a loss for the AFL thier entire history even when successful on the field (correct me if I'm wrong on this).
This is B.F Mate and we can't have a post that makes actual sense:joycat: I agree that a team called "Perth" would slot right into the landscape and would be good for the comp.
My proviso would be that we get to keep the W.A talent pool.

Said it before but I've got it: Tassie 28 (Clarko can do a 5 year deal with whoever then move on to Tassie), WA3 29, SA3 49, Canberra 50 (or sooner maybe), maybe NT and NQLD 2060s if somehow viable. 22-24 teams max, 22-24 rounds max.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back