Team for NAB Cup Final

Remove this Banner Ad

A FEW GOOD MEN

Club Legend
Apr 20, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I realise that Saturday night will just be a glorified practice match but we can expect the intensity to be greater than the first 3 rounds of the MMC.

I believe it is a great chance to see how some of our younger players cope with the extra pressure. I acknowledge that there is a perceived advantage in settling the team for round 1, but I see value in playing our best 15 players and then using the last 7 spots for the younger players on the cusp of selection.

I would give Reilly, Rutten (don't rush him in), Doughty, Symes, Knights etc a run in the SANFL and play Lynch, Brown, Shaw and Kerridge.

The tough choice is between McKernan and Jenkins. Even if we go for Tippett as the second ruck in round 1, I don't think it is ideal running Jacobs and Tippett against Cox and Natanui. Sauce and Tip are too valuable to our progress this season to make them play too many minutes on Saturday night. I would like to see Jenkins have another run before the season starts.

Finally, how did Johnston go in the SANFL trial over the weekend? After apparently training up a storm over the pre-season we have seen very little of him in the MMC.

Finally, how did Johnston go in the SANFL trial over the weekend? After apparently training up a storm over the pre-season we have seen very little of him in the MMC.

The word is, he broke a nail and had his hair ruffled - could be out for 4 weeks;)

I agree with who you suggest we should leave out this weekend.
If Douglas is OK, Id have him back in for Bernie Vince as a way of saying...Just pull your head in a bit Bern".

The word is, he broke a nail and had his hair ruffled - could be out for 4 weeks;)

I agree with who you suggest we should leave out this weekend.
If Douglas is OK, Id have him back in for Bernie Vince as a way of saying...Just pull your head in a bit Bern".

I think we have to play Douglas, since he missed out last week and we would not want him to have a 4 week break between the Brisbane MMC match and round 1.

Stiffy is on track to win the AFL award for the player with the most MMC minutes. I guess this is part of the usual Stiffy pre-season regime.

I'd give Danger and Sloane a rest as they've played pretty much every minute so far.

They didn't play against Carlton..

And next week they can have a rest. Everyone has had a rest now so pick the best 22. Except maybe Truck if there's ANY question marks over his fitness.

I'd be very surprised if we don't see our best 22 selected this week, given that there is some silverware on the line, even if it is only the MMC.

I think the 6 figure sum is more important to them than whatever prestigue is attached to the NAB Cup. The Crows are not as rich as we'd like to imagine and could always use some bonus cash.

I think it will be a sign of our team for round 1. Try to get that 22 settled and together, as they've said all along.
It will be interesting now that the squad has to be cut to 22.

I'm looking forward to see who is chosen in the back line. Dont think they'd rush Rutten in, with a smaller bench.
Jaensch , Talia , Johncock would be locked in. Probably Reilly. But the other two.... Otten , Shaw , Hendo , Doughty , L Thompson ??
My pick would be Shaw and Hendo. Just pips Otten who hasnt looked as assured out there.

McKernan has had more game time than Jenkins, so I expect he'll be picked ahead of him to assist Jacobs in the ruck.

Hope they can find a spot for Kerridge too. But cant fit all of Knights , Douglas , Martin , Petrenko , Callinan , Wright and him into a few fwd/mid rotation spots. Prob 4 of them to miss the cut?
Thats with my assumption our main mids are Thommo , Danger , Sloane , VB , Vince , Smith and MacKay.

Forward targets to be Walker , Tippett , Lynch and Porplyzia.

Hurry up Thursday....

I think it will be a sign of our team for round 1. Try to get that 22 settled and together, as they've said all along.
It will be interesting now that the squad has to be cut to 22.

I'm looking forward to see who is chosen in the back line. Dont think they'd rush Rutten in, with a smaller bench.
Jaensch , Talia , Johncock would be locked in. Probably Reilly. But the other two.... Otten , Shaw , Hendo , Doughty , L Thompson ??
My pick would be Shaw and Hendo. Just pips Otten who hasnt looked as assured out there.

McKernan has had more game time than Jenkins, so I expect he'll be picked ahead of him to assist Jacobs in the ruck.

Hope they can find a spot for Kerridge too. But cant fit all of Knights , Douglas , Martin , Petrenko , Callinan , Wright and him into a few fwd/mid rotation spots. Prob 4 of them to miss the cut?
Thats with my assumption our main mids are Thommo , Danger , Sloane , VB , Vince , Smith and MacKay.

Forward targets to be Walker , Tippett , Lynch and Porplyzia.

Hurry up Thursday....

This looks close to the money - except I think Jenkins before McKernan and Vince might not make the list.

My selections:

Backs: Jaensch, Talia, Johncock, Henderson, Shaw, Reilly

Mids/Forwards: Van Berlo, Thompson, Dangerfield, Sloane, Porplyzia, Smith, MacKay, Douglas, Petrenko and Callinan. If Vince doesn't play the last player in this group will come from Kerridge, Otten, Martin, Brown, Knights or Wright - I'd like to see Kerridge but I think Wright the most likely.

Rucks/Tall Forwards: Jacobs, Tippett, Jenkins, Lynch, Walker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Resting it is not the way to fix it!

You should try it sometime as it revitalises both the body & the spirit.

I look at our back lines without Truck up against the Eagles big men & i sort of cringe, but what a great chance to test those players against a near full strength WC outfit one week before the season proper begins.

Obviously Johnson has not set world on fire in cup but would like to see him try in our back lines talls as very suspect in that area and cant believe Thompson got a run last week ahead of him.
I would not rush Rutten back for this game.
Think they will look at McKernan again but prefer Jenkins to get a go as still long way away from thinking McKernan is going to make it and never no ! ruck if Jacobs ever misses a game.
Fantastic to see real class in our team with Danger showing us what promised so long and Porps back and Callinan.
Lynch is a great pick up and a natural forward who gets those easy goals other teams get against us and puts pressure on Walker to perform.
They need to work out of experienced players who are a certainity out of Rielly , Symes, Douglas,Otten etc and give Shaw , Kerridge etc another go to stand up and offer more long term

Obviously Johnson has not set world on fire in cup but would like to see him try in our back lines talls as very suspect in that area and cant believe Thompson got a run last week ahead of him.
I would not rush Rutten back for this game.
Think they will look at McKernan again but prefer Jenkins to get a go as still long way away from thinking McKernan is going to make it and never no ! ruck if Jacobs ever misses a game.
Fantastic to see real class in our team with Danger showing us what promised so long and Porps back and Callinan.
Lynch is a great pick up and a natural forward who gets those easy goals other teams get against us and puts pressure on Walker to perform.
They need to work out of experienced players who are a certainity out of Rielly , Symes, Douglas,Otten etc and give Shaw , Kerridge etc another go to stand up and offer more long term

Kidding right??
By your own admission Johnson has done nothing yet you think he should get a game. Thompson played a number of games last year and showed some good signs.
Thompson being selected in the team last week also means the coach/selection committee think he is ahead of Johnson.

I can't believe you are suggesting, at this stage, Johnson gets a gig before Thompson.
The decision to play Thompson is the right call.

Just on that, it is a worry that Johnston hasn't played much as yet?

I think it was Roos who said he had a ton of talent, but his attitude wasn't great - you would've thought we'd have seen a bit of him by now...

Agree King, it is a worry that he hasn't put put up his hand for selection.
A mate of mine who is a Roosters supporter said that Craig and Johnson played really well for the utensils on the W/E.
Hopefully he just needs to run into some form and confidence to be knocking on the selection door.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back