The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

'Public Enemies' - Bryan Burrough.

Good read all up. I knew next to nothing about the Depression era crims other than their names but the book has really stoked my interest. Well researched and fast paced.

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
Someone's really gotta make up for that Blake Edwards/Audrey Hepburn travesty.

Hollywood by Charles Bukowski
Bukowski on auto-pilot.

And the Hippos Were Boiled in their Tanks by William S. Burroughs and Jack Kerouac
Good reason why this went unpublished for over 60 years.

The Outsider by Albert Camus
Mersault never gave a s*** about anyone, so I didn't give a s*** about him.

Confessions of a Cineplex Heckler by Joe Queenan
Nobody eviscerates Hollywood like Queenan.

Amassed about 20 books over the Christmas period, either as presents from others or to myself.

Just finished "The Journeys of Socrates" by Dan Millman.

Am just starting "Wake Up" by Jack Kerouac.

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
Someone's really gotta make up for that Blake Edwards/Audrey Hepburn travesty.

Hollywood by Charles Bukowski
Bukowski on auto-pilot.

And the Hippos Were Boiled in their Tanks by William S. Burroughs and Jack Kerouac
Good reason why this went unpublished for over 60 years.

The Outsider by Albert Camus
Mersault never gave a s*** about anyone, so I didn't give a s*** about him.

Confessions of a Cineplex Heckler by Joe Queenan
Nobody eviscerates Hollywood like Queenan.

One can only assume you read things you know you aren't going to like...:confused:

Most recently....

Tuesdays with Morrie - Mitch Albom

- Only got started on this book because I had to read a chapter for a postgrad assignment I was doing and got hooked and it would now be up there as one of my favourite books. A must read if you haven't already.

Have a little Faith - Mitch Albom

- Continue the Mitch Albom trend and loved this one aswell, took a little bit to get going but he is a very insightful writer.

The Contest - Matthew Reilly

- Hadn't got into the Reilly craze up until now and loved his first one. Really knows how to set the scene and sets a fast-paced, enthralling storyline that really gets you involved.

CURRENTLY READING

Ice Station - Matthew Reilly

- About a quarter of the way through and it was slow getting started but is starting to heat up now.

NEXT IN LINE

The 5 people you'll meet in heaven - Mitch Albom
- Saw it on the shelf and after reading his previous two I couldn't let it slide.

Finished If On A Winter's Night A Traveller. Took awhile for me to really get into it, but the more you read, the more genius you are able to see. Would have to read it a few more times to really get it I think, but a worthwhile read.

Now:

Perfume - Patrick Suskind.

Picked up two by Malcolm Gladwell - Outliers and What the Dog Saw

Finished Outliers and move on to the next tonight.

For anyone who has read and enjoyed Freakonomics or Superfreakonomics, these are up your alley.

Got a few books for Xmas. Currently reading or have read the following:

The Gates-John Connolly-
A kid's book, but like a movie such as 'Shrek', it is equally for adults. Hilarious yet somewhat spooky plot where the demons want to invade.
This Is Where I Leave You- John Tropper-
Got this from Amazon. About halfway through and I can only deduce that this man is a genius. Great family tale that is both touching and truly hilarious.
Where Men Win Glory- Haven't started.
Andre Agassi-Ditto

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finished Perfume. I really enjoyed it, very vivid and clear writing, and many layers to read into things.

Amazing how Patrick S*skind could describe odors. I think it came across much better in the book than in the film. Full credit to the translator (German to English).

No Ordinary Moments - Dan Millman

5th book I've read of his, fantastic.

I'm a big, big fan of his 'Peaceful Warrior' books, but had always presumed that 'No Ordinary Moments' was just like selected quotations from the trilogy. Is that the case? And what were the other ones you've read? I've only read 'Way OTPW', 'Journey OTPW', and 'Journeys of Socrates'.

Am currently reading 'Mans Search for Meaning' by Victor Frankl. Brilliant book.

I'm a big, big fan of his 'Peaceful Warrior' books, but had always presumed that 'No Ordinary Moments' was just like selected quotations from the trilogy. Is that the case? And what were the other ones you've read? I've only read 'Way OTPW', 'Journey OTPW', and 'Journeys of Socrates'.

Am currently reading 'Mans Search for Meaning' by Victor Frankl. Brilliant book.
Not quite. It's not a story like "The Peaceful Warrior", more goes into how to learn the same lessons as he has. It's very good.

I've read " Way Of The Peaceful Warrior", "No Ordinary Moments", "The Journeys of Socrates", "The Laws of Spirit", "Sacred Jouney of The Peaceful Warrior" and "The Inner Athlete" which is actually six.

Also have the movie "The Peaceful Warrior" which is pretty good, has Amy Smart for extra points and I've used it to introduce a lot of my friends to Millman.

Not quite. It's not a story like "The Peaceful Warrior", more goes into how to learn the same lessons as he has. It's very good.

I've read " Way Of The Peaceful Warrior", "No Ordinary Moments", "The Journeys of Socrates", "The Laws of Spirit", "Sacred Jouney of The Peaceful Warrior" and "The Inner Athlete" which is actually six.

Also have the movie "The Peaceful Warrior" which is pretty good, has Amy Smart for extra points and I've used it to introduce a lot of my friends to Millman.

Cheers man. I just ordered it from Borders on your recommendation. :p

Am currently reading "Meetings with Remarkable People", by OSHO. The subjects he "meets" with are: Bodhidharma, Guatama the Buddha, Chiyono, Chuang Tzu, Dionysius, Kahlil Gibran, Gurdjieff, Heraclitus, Jesus, Krishna, Lao Tzu, Meera, Nietzsche, Krishnamurti, Pythagoras, Rabayi al-Adabiya, Rumi, Sanai & Socrates. Is great so far.

Just finished reading "Last Man Running", the story of a guy working as an informant inside the Bandidos on the east coast of Australia. It was okay, but it takes a bit of effort to get through parts of the book. Too much of the book is dedicated to the beauracracy of the various crime authorities and it can get a bit boring.

Now I'll be reading "When Giants Walked The Earth" - a biography of Led Zeppelin.

Just finished reading "Last Man Running", the story of a guy working as an informant inside the Bandidos on the east coast of Australia. It was okay, but it takes a bit of effort to get through parts of the book. Too much of the book is dedicated to the beauracracy of the various crime authorities and it can get a bit boring.

Now I'll be reading "When Giants Walked The Earth" - a biography of Led Zeppelin.

i thoroughly enjoyed that book. really good writing in a style that certainly appealed to me.

:thumbsu:

Finished “super freakeconomics” last week, not a bad effort, probably a touch too save the planet for me especially when talking to their mate about solutions it didn’t seem to fit the style of the book but then again it is the biggest issue at the moment.

Read “Jennifer Government” by Max Barry on the weekend, slightly underwhelming but not a bad effort

Reading “Men who stare at Goats” by John Ronsen at the moment. I’m still in the “this can’t be serious” phase of reading this book and it so far highly entertaining.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back