Sport The Australian Sports psyche - have we gone to the dark side?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Something has been troubling me for a while now.

As some will know I had been quite vocal about my distain for the Australian cricket team for a fair period of time, I thought they there were totally unlikeable and virtually non supportable. They crossed the line - stepped over the brink from sportsmanship to a win at all costs with a mentality that led them down a slippery slope that eventually fed into a pit of murky bile which they may yet never escape from.

But that was an isolated situation we were told, the culture in the cricket team was poor...but they can fix their issue.

I'm not so sure.

We love to be myopic here in Australia, and insular to a point that we often think our s**t doesn't stink. We lap up meaningless accolades the like most livable city in the world, or whatever they may be, we hang our hats on cliché terms like punching above our weight, winning more things per capita than the big boys.. We somehow have this idea that we are this much loved, strongly idealed utopia that everyone is envious of. We play sports hard but fair, we give everyone a fair go, we have a never say die attitude - we stand tall with pride while likeable icons such as Pat Rafter or Wayne Arthurs endure barrages of vitriol from feral fans in far flung Davis cup ties, or our Socceroos being spat on by savages in south America... these savages are horrible! We would never do such things in our civilized fair go culture... They all take drugs and cheat... ours were always spiked by mistakes.

Then I leave the country and go travel the world, I actually see how we are perceived.. how loud mouthed, drunk, obtuse Australians are now despised across the globe - how we have outshone the loudmouth Americans in the annoyance stakes.. We latch on to any cultural gathering like a cancer, infiltrate it, add beer and ruin it.. Australians are to be avoided at Oktoberest, at Pamplona, at any island in south east asia.. in any hostel bar..

So with my new found knowledge and eyes wide open I returned to our shores as I start to notice our sporting heroes change, where stood the knockabout Aussie Pat Rafter now stood snot nosed Lleyton Hewitt, I guy who didn't care how much of an a-hole he was if it meant winning... and down they fed, kyrgios, Tomic. The cricketers went downhill, slowly our sporting icons went from these knockabout sportsmen who were to be admired, to these unlikeable win at any costs machines. Cleary we were becoming like every other country in the world.

...and im not silly, I understand it takes a certain personality type to make it on the world stage, you have to be a bit mental, a bit arrogant - but we still have time for genuine nice winners like Daniel Riccardo, like Adam Scott or Jason Day, or Andrew Bogut.. its not a pre requisite that you need be an a-hole.

Anyhow I sat there this past few weeks trying to digest the Commonwealth games, wondering why I couldn't take it, why I didn't care any more.. why I had to turn it off. There was just something about it that didn't sit well with me, or was just sitting in the back ground - I couldn't quite put my finger on it...

It wasn't until I saw the marathon runner collapsed on the ground - fans taking pictures of him with their phone cameras while the aussie athlete just saunters by to take the win without a second glace back... Do these guys not take an oath pre games? "We come to this place from many lands, to demonstrate the spirit of true sportsmanship that we all share. And to stand up for the values and ideals that live at the heart of these Games. Our shared humanity –the respect we give each other, finding lasting friendships and common ground in our diversity"

....I don't expect him to stop and have a cup of tea... and I know once a marathon runner stops its impossible to start again... but how about you ok mate? a quick pat? anything?? noo it was a robot.. must win must win must win - then I kept watching in outrage.. as channel seven kept goading the English, look how many medals we have more than you!!.. showing every single medal presentation instead of actual sports.. we were feral! we were baying for blood, beating up on little island nations and third world colonies that had been sucked dry by this so called commonwealth.. more more more.... give us moreee goldddddd - its insatiable - win win win, break the record, winn

This was the most jingoistic games experience I have ever witnessed, it made me sick. It was a win at all costs games and mentality.. the very same mentality the Australian cricketers adopted.. the very mentality our public now demands... we don't accept second prize.

So there we have it, we have truly gone to the dark side of sport. We are now not that little island nation punching above its weight, having a try, playing the right way. We need to win, before else, losing is not an option. irrespective of means or collateral damage along the way.

Look next door, that little county there... that's what we used to be before we turned to the dark side.

Are you seriously disappointed with that single incident? He did absolutely nothing wrong.

I think you're overreacting in a major fashion. Honestly mate you're usually good for many things but this assessment was way way off the mark.

Are you seriously disappointed with that single incident? He did absolutely nothing wrong.

I think you're overreacting in a major fashion. Honestly mate you're usually good for many things but this assessment was way way off the mark.

no, that was the moment that made me realize why it wasn't working for me, it was the final straw. it was not a singular incident - I understand why he wasn't able to stop.

look up John Landy stopping to pick up a fallen Ron Clarke - that's what we used to be.

no, that was the moment that made me realize why it wasn't working for me, it was the final straw. it was not a singular incident - I understand why he wasn't able to stop.

look up John Landy stopping to pick up a fallen Ron Clarke - that's what we used to be.
You don't run 41.5 kms in a Commonwealth Games marathon and stop for someone. You know the person will get the support they need... IMO of course.

You don't run 41.5 kms in a Commonwealth Games marathon and stop for someone. You know the person will get the support they need... IMO of course.
Agreed. There is medical assistance all across the course of a marathon. Fact of the matter is that if he stopped he probably would have collapsed as well.

again...bigger picture!!

I didn't ask the question should the marathon runner have stopped, you are focusing on one line. consider that line removed.. (it was just something that resonated with me but that's just a personal thing)

clearly the entire intent of the writing was to ask have our sporting expectations and national ways of playing outgrown its knockabout origins to a more darker place? (win or gtfo)

following on from the crickets mentality, following on from us goading everyone within earshot of the GC about how good we were...

I heard a great summation a few years ago from a Russian journalist on the Guardian football pod, talking about state-sanctioned doping and fan violence in the context of the upcoming World Cup: something to the effect of "Russians aren't football fans, they aren't even sports fans in general - but they are fans of winning."

Australian culture isn't at that extreme but I'm not sure it's as far off as we'd like to think.

I heard a great summation a few years ago from a Russian journalist on the Guardian football pod, talking about state-sanctioned doping and fan violence in the context of the upcoming World Cup: something to the effect of "Russians aren't football fans, they aren't even sports fans in general - but they are fans of winning."

Australian culture isn't at that extreme but I'm not sure it's as far off as we'd like to think.

how bout that dad... the "hero" as described by the media..... please.. lets not overuse the word hero.. if a man cheering his daughter on in a swimming pool is a hero.. what's a firefighter got left to be?

anyhow.. hero dad is cheering his daughter home, its stroke for stroke.. she... misses, its silver for Australia.. dad throws his head back disappointed.. as daughter probably sees him on the big screen...

disappointed with silver hey? I bet she is chuffed she even has a medal!

but no, you lost, disappointment ensues.

(dramatised for effect)

Well i think part of it may have to do with the amount of money that is put into sports these days. With that large amount of money comes certain expectations.

Why is that money put in? To get closer to winning. Why do people compete? To win. Its always been that way. Even in the times that you remember fondly.

Its why the public and media reaction to us failing a few years ago to perform was so unwarranted.
These athletes put in everything, they work so hard. What drives them is that gold. Im perfectly happy for them to be bitterly dissappinted if they fail, to show emotion or act out.
What i dont like is the public/media reaction to it. Because it comes feom an ignorance of what it took to get there. We ignore so many sports or athletes on the road to glory then we only pay attention when they achieve it or take a moment to judge them if they fail.

What's it say about Scotland when they wont even stop to check on their country men? And let's not forget Andy Murray's antics.

Bunch of campaigners those Scottish.

Well i think part of it may have to do with the amount of money that is put into sports these days. With that large amount of money comes certain expectations.

Why is that money put in? To get closer to winning. Why do people compete? To win. Its always been that way. Even in the times that you remember fondly.

Its why the public and media reaction to us failing a few years ago to perform was so unwarranted.
These athletes put in everything, they work so hard. What drives them is that gold. Im perfectly happy for them to be bitterly dissappinted if they fail, to show emotion or act out.
What i dont like is the public/media reaction to it. Because it comes feom an ignorance of what it took to get there. We ignore so many sports or athletes on the road to glory then we only pay attention when they achieve it or take a moment to judge them if they fail.

It's true, even in the times I remember fondly winning was always the ambition but there seemed more grace in the jourbej to get there, and grace in defeat.

Hate to keep mentioning rafter but he lost no fans losing Wimbledon that day to Goran

What's it say about Scotland when they wont even stop to check on their country men? And let's not forget Andy Murray's antics.

Bunch of campaigners those Scottish.

Most countries are kents... I just thought we never used to be but now have fallen in with them all

We were carrying on like the yanks at the Olympics...hootin and hollerin

Media and exposure have a fair bit to answer for. They heap praise on the winners, they heap scorn on those that are tipped to do well but, for whatever reason, don't (Cate Campbell, WTF, you finished 6th in the entire ******* world in Rio? Shame!), social media then goes into overdrive. The pressure it creates is insane.

I agree with you Howie. How we pull the reins and slow down, find a balance between expectations, results and sportsmanship, I don't know.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Media and exposure have a fair bit to answer for. They heap praise on the winners, they heap scorn on those that are tipped to do well but, for whatever reason, don't (Cate Campbell, WTF, you finished 6th in the entire ******* world in Rio? Shame!), social media then goes into overdrive. The pressure it creates is insane.

I agree with you Howie. How we pull the reins and slow down, find a balance between expectations, results and sportsmanship, I don't know.

Its pretty clear money - and sportsmanship do not mix. They are like oil and water.... once you have an incentive to win with a monetary value sportsmanship will come a distant second.

I assume that's why Olympic athletes are supposed to be non professional and not paid?

That's doesn't change the amount of money governments plough in to get the athletes in medal winning positions, this is where the big money is..and when they don't get the results, the inquests and recommendations and commissions and inquisitions start. Maybe there was one better? Maybe 3rd in the world is still a win? its a big world!

but what are they (the governments or sporting bodies or whoever) even gaining? by winning? is it any more than a dick measure contest, really?

once you have an incentive to win with a monetary value sportsmanship will come a distant second.

Nailed it in one.

Sport is no longer the amateur pursuit it was once upon a time, now it's big business and results are the only thing that matters. We're a fan of winners, not battlers.

It's the way of the world now in a broader sense, I don't think it's limited to Australia in any way. We grew up with sport being something you did for the love of it, for the competition; win, lose or draw. Then we get to a professional level where just being competitive isn't enough, you have to always be better, always break records, always win.

Athletics is talking about nuking any (women's) records set before about 2006 or so, because no one can break them. We don't want to just see someone compete, we don't want to even just see someone win, we want them to be the record breaking, fastest of all time, most exceptional performance we've ever seen.

The world is getting more extreme, and with it comes a disconnect between the concept of sport we grew up participating in, and the reality of sport as a professional level activity, form of money-making entertainment, that needs ever increasingly exceptional results to keep the attention of the short attention spans of the public in the social media age.

Nailed it in one.

Sport is no longer the amateur pursuit it was once upon a time, now it's big business and results are the only thing that matters. We're a fan of winners, not battlers.

It's the way of the world now in a broader sense, I don't think it's limited to Australia in any way. We grew up with sport being something you did for the love of it, for the competition; win, lose or draw. Then we get to a professional level where just being competitive isn't enough, you have to always be better, always break records, always win.

Athletics is talking about nuking any (women's) records set before about 2006 or so, because no one can break them. We don't want to just see someone compete, we don't want to even just see someone win, we want them to be the record breaking, fastest of all time, most exceptional performance we've ever seen.

The world is getting more extreme, and with it comes a disconnect between the concept of sport we grew up participating in, and the reality of sport as a professional level activity, form of money-making entertainment, that needs ever increasingly exceptional results to keep the attention of the short attention spans of the public in the social media age.

So where do we go?

We either keep pushing ahead, trying to break the unbreakable - stretch the sinews of sport to its breaking point - til its not even an enjoyable pursuit any longer.. til its just a results focused mechanism - just a state sponsored pissing contest to see whose state program functions best?

or do we try and take a step back - and use sport as it used to be used? it was a bridge builder, a fence mender, a piece pipe smoker - it bound us despite our differences - we congratulated our opponents on a game well played, smiled and shook hands, shared a beer post event...

could we can use the increased social media coverage and behind the scenes access to foster the personalities and the relationships and the stores rather than just the results?

I dunno, just jabbering now - I assume its like the tent that once its been erected you can never get back in the bag - this ones been opened and we can never go back to how it was

So where do we go?

We either keep pushing ahead, trying to break the unbreakable - stretch the sinews of sport to its breaking point - til its not even an enjoyable pursuit any longer.. til its just a results focused mechanism - just a state sponsored pissing contest to see whose state program functions best?

or do we try and take a step back - and use sport as it used to be used? it was a bridge builder, a fence mender, a piece pipe smoker - it bound us despite our differences - we congratulated our opponents on a game well played, smiled and shook hands, shared a beer post event...

could we can use the increased social media coverage and behind the scenes access to foster the personalities and the relationships and the stores rather than just the results?

I dunno, just jabbering now - I assume its like the tent that once its been erected you can never get back in the bag - this ones been opened and we can never go back to how it was

I'm not sure it's a simple answer; it's something that has permeated at a population level and our expectations have clearly changed significantly from what they were in the past.

We don't deem it acceptable merely that the athletes have tried their best, unless they win they're a failure. Sometimes even winning isn't sufficient to appease the supporters.

It's not just related to sport, I think our expectations in most areas have strayed a long, long way from where they once were. The Australia that we like to think we are, is very far removed from the Australia that we actually are.

Still a pretty good place to live, and a pretty lucky country in the scheme of things, but that knockabout larrikin that's loved by all is well and truly gone.

Nailed it in one.

Probably true... not limited to Australians though.

How many amateur leagues are left in this world, as the top league in their sport? Gaelic is the only thing I can think of, outside of Olympic athletes (who are amateurs funded by scholarships and sponsorships).

I think every nation drinks it's own bathwater, perhaps some more than others. Ours seems at least somewhat self-aware and self-critical, but we still have our share of machiavellian patriots.

What I think we're seeing is an overlap from a number of different factors...
  • athletes' motivations for playing in a professional sporting league (money vs. competitiveness vs. enjoyment)
  • the impact of increasingly capitalist attitudes on sport and teams run as for-profit businesses (doping, cheating, cutting corners, "at any cost")
  • psychological attributes present in the global population which crop up among sports people just as much as any other profession
  • children who are brought up to believe that their entire identity and wellbeing revolves around their ability to perform in a specific profession (sport families, theatre families, media moguls, mining magnates, :shrug: ) and leading to a bunch of emotionally-unstable, maladjusted people on the world stage, and
  • the media choosing to publish articles about these 'exceptional' people for clicks

None of these things are specific to Australia, but we are also not exempt from any of them.

Probably true... not limited to Australians though.

How many amateur leagues are left in this world, as the top league in their sport? Gaelic is the only thing I can think of, outside of Olympic athletes (who are amateurs funded by scholarships and sponsorships).

I think every nation drinks it's own bathwater, perhaps some more than others. Ours seems at least somewhat self-aware and self-critical, but we still have our share of machiavellian patriots.

What I think we're seeing is an overlap from a number of different factors...
  • athletes' motivations for playing in a professional sporting league (money vs. competitiveness vs. enjoyment)
  • the impact of increasingly capitalist attitudes on sport and teams run as for-profit businesses (doping, cheating, cutting corners, "at any cost")
  • psychological attributes present in the global population which crop up among sports people just as much as any other profession
  • children who are brought up to believe that their entire identity and wellbeing revolves around their ability to perform in a specific profession (sport families, theatre families, media moguls, mining magnates, :shrug: ) and leading to a bunch of emotionally-unstable, maladjusted people on the world stage, and
  • the media choosing to publish articles about these 'exceptional' people for clicks

None of these things are specific to Australia, but we are also not exempt from any of them.

agreed its not specific to Australia, I just had this notion, and maybe our general populous did - that we were some how removed from the rest of the world and somehow different - alas no - we are all with them in the same black hole

While hesitant to go back to the marathon incident - and once again . I understand why he cant stop, I know the reasons, i'm not begrudging him at all...

Its not like you have the ability for abstract thought 41.5 kms into a marathon - you are pretty much balls deep into a pursuit the human body probably isn't designed for.

Your sole human motive is probably survival instinct.. finish.

So if you WERE to stop - it wouldn't be a decision, will I risk winning, am I a good person.. whatever. There is no thought process.

Whatever makes you stop or go is subconscious, its within your being - its a non negotiable. Its the same instinct that makes John Landy stop in the heat of a mile race - maybe its the same instinct that makes David Hille stop to check on his opponent and call for a trainer rather than casting him aside to get the next contest.

Ironically - if as mentioned before sport is now just about fame and money... you could argue pretty strongly that if this bloke did actually stop, he would become more famous, would become far richer - would almost become a marker point in time, a statue to look back on in the form of the black power salute, or Freddie flintoff embracing a distraught brett lee on the ground, or Cam Mcevoy raising team mate Chalmers hand in victory despite his obvious disappointment, all those pivotal moments that people look back on.

he wont be remembered at all as the bloke who won the marathon at the commonwealth games.. but that doesn't matter, he knows who won, and maybe that's the point - despite all the white noise and money and extras.. sport will always be the pursuit of trying to be the best you can be - whether you stand to gain financially or not.

anyway this post has no point or reasoning, just something I was thinking in bed last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back