The Beep Test

Remove this Banner Ad

You need a reality check sorry mate.
These guys (AFL Footballers) are ELITE endurance athletes. Not 13 yo kids, but guys who train at an elite level twice a day, incorporating high altitude endurance work with searching lactic acid work.

There is NO WAY you get 17 in the beep test and there is equally (maybe even more so) NO WAY your 13 yo brother is beating 20-25 yo AFL footballers around the tan.

Furthermore, AFL players in the main, are far from 'bulky'...in fact most are almost lean muscle having body fat readings in the 5-8% range. They are cut but NOT bulky.

I am not trying to humiliate you, just amending your false claims.

AFL players are not elite endurance athletes (pro long distance track/cyclists etc. are). Their fitness training is based around being proficient in many general athletic abilities i.e. speed, endurance, strength etc. so the interplay between training different abilities (e.g. speed vs. strength vs. endurance) will tend to put some some sort of limit on how much they can improve them (e.g. as using more resources to improve speed, means less for other abilities like endurance) - so it's definitely plausible a young kid who trains for 3K could beat an AFL footballer, who is training to be more of an athletic 'all-rounder'.

Also, most AFL players would be ~10% if not higher. Most people's rough estimates of bodyfat are off the mark. ~5% is what you'd expect of a pro bodybuilder pre-competition. They do have low bodyfats but whether they are bulky or not depends on your reference point - compared to elite endurance athletes, yes, compared to pro soccer players, yes, compared to bodybuilders, no, compared to most pro rugby players, no etc.

You need a reality check sorry mate.
These guys (AFL Footballers) are ELITE endurance athletes. Not 13 yo kids, but guys who train at an elite level twice a day, incorporating high altitude endurance work with searching lactic acid work.

There is NO WAY you get 17 in the beep test and there is equally (maybe even more so) NO WAY your 13 yo brother is beating 20-25 yo AFL footballers around the tan.

Furthermore, AFL players in the main, are far from 'bulky'...in fact most are almost lean muscle having body fat readings in the 5-8% range. They are cut but NOT bulky.

I am not trying to humiliate you, just amending your false claims.

My mate was a champion junior swimmer. When he was 14 he was clocking up 15 and 16 on beep tests at school. A midfielder with average endurance should be able to get to 15 and 16, elite mids get higher. But thats not to say that other people who dont train as much as AFL players cant get 15 on the beep test.

People may remember a guy by the name of Tom Rischbeith who smashed the 3 km and beep test records at draft camp. He beat these records with all sorts of ease and with the same ease beat every player on port's list in every time trial they did.

From memory his best beep test (not his draft camp score) was around 17-18. AFL players are not elite runners, as someone pointed out they have the wrong body shape (compare craig mottram's shape to that of an AFL player).

I found this article in a quick search on Google

Tan time

COMMONWEALTH Games silver medallist Craig Mottram clocked 10 minutes 12 seconds around the Tan, eclipsing the 10:41 set by former Commonwealth champion Steve Moneghetti around the iconic Melbourne course in 2003. This week, the Go The Tan event returns for the fifth year, giving joggers of all shapes, sizes and abilities the chance to record their own official times. Former AFL stars Glenn Archer, Ang Christou and boxer Sam Soliman are among those taking part in a celebrity challenge around the 3.83-kilometre circuit on Friday as part of the two-day event. For an entry fee, runners get a timing chip and can run as many laps of the circuit as they can muster from the horse trough near the end of Swan Street bridge, up the Anderson Street hill and along Birdwood Avenue to the downhill finish from Government House Drive to Alexandra Avenue. Running the Tan in 12 to 13 minutes will put you in the category of the best in the AFL, while 14 minutes is more common for most AFL players, male recreational runners and sub-elite women. Former Essendon player Tim Watson once completed the circuit in 14:10 and Soliman previously has recorded a highly respectable 14:39. Money raised from the entry fee will go towards research at the Murdoch Childrens Research Institute into the neurological, degenerative disease Friedreich's ataxia.

My best time is 12:50 while my brother's is 13:45. So yes, he would beat a lot of the footballers around the Tan. You seem to have a false perception of the speed and endurance of these guys over these kinds of distances.

I found this article in a quick search on Google

My best time is 12:50 while my brother's is 13:45. So yes, he would beat a lot of the footballers around the Tan. You seem to have a false perception of the speed and endurance of these guys over these kinds of distances.

So...according to the article and your own statements you are saying that you are the equivalent of an 'elite AFL midfielder'? (Quote the article: "Running the Tan in 12 to 13 minutes will put you in the category of the best in the AFL")

I am sorry mate, whilst I respect your opinion, I do not believe you. These guys are professional athletes. They run up to 20 kilometres in 100 minutes of football (taking into account rest). Neil Craig has suggested that Brett Burton, Simon Goodwin and Nathan van berlo have the potential to be world class cyclists.

Lets just say that, having a very close mate who plays AFL I can assure you it is you who has the false perception of their endurance outputs.

I guess we just disagree?

I just know who i would back around the tan if the race was between your 13yo brother and any one of Daniel Cross, Robert Harvey, Simon Black or Shane Crawford (to name but a very small wedge of the possibilities).

So many people are telling lies in this thread its not funny, getting anything over 15 is a lie unless you are a cross country running, or long distance swimmer/cycler etc or play Afl or A-leauge or something like that

So many people are telling lies in this thread its not funny, getting anything over 15 is a lie unless you are a cross country running, or long distance swimmer/cycler etc or play Afl or A-leauge or something like that

Hahah yeah I know, or they did it 4-5 years ago and got numbers confused. A bloke used to swim for Australia that went to my school and got 14 which was pretty unreal, was one of the fittest blokes ive seen, I got 12.3, and that was basically at my peak and I played State Basketball (which did invlove alot of running for all you basketball haters).

Anyone who's saying they got 15+ know their VO2 Max?

Wowser - runners doing sub13 on the Tan track are a dime a dozen. Shit, I'm one of them and clearly Hairy Cat Mooney is another. But what most of these guys clearly AREN'T carrying around the track is 80 odd kilo of muscle and a football for a few seconds at a time.

No one's doubting the small handful of AFL players who have world-class aerobic endurance (such as those you've mentioned and more), but when you've got 16-17 year olds who've gone under 12 minutes, you need to be a bit more informed with who you'd back in a foot race.

You'd have to be exceptionally elite to get to 17.

Im sorry but i know from personal experience, once you get past 14-15, you have to start sprinting really. And considering you've been constantly running since Stage 1, you dont last to long. :rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard Beckham finished the beep test as well...;)

I did it in PE today for a warm up.
I didn't have time for breakfast, was woken at 5am by my dog and it was at 9am in the morning.
I only managed to get 9.7 :(

Isnt there differnt versions of the beep test? I did 12.8 when i was 16, and that was when i was at my unfittest. I was attempting to put on weight. If i was tested 6 months earlier i could have reached 14 quite easily. 14-15 beep tests scores arent really that uncommon among young teens. Didnt Jack Grimes get 16.10 or thereabouts which is crazy levels?

Isnt there differnt versions of the beep test? I did 12.8 when i was 16, and that was when i was at my unfittest. I was attempting to put on weight. If i was tested 6 months earlier i could have reached 14 quite easily. 14-15 beep tests scores arent really that uncommon among young teens. Didnt Jack Grimes get 16.10 or thereabouts which is crazy levels?

They are uncommon. In a normal P.E class they are very uncommon.

There are a few different versions of the beep test I'm aware of...:cool:
14-15 beep tests scores are really uncommon for people around the age of 14...Cale Morton was the highest beep test scorer (15.2 I think) of the Draft Camp last year, and he is basically a running machine with the long legs and huge motor...I run just about everyday and I got a score of 10.7, but now with a bit more added fitness & height, I should get over 11...

i got 13.2 yesterday and i think i can do a fair bit better, i am definitely not at my fittest
it seems that there are definitely people who have finished it.
i can see no reason why someone who is training specifically to increase their endurance or to get a good beep test score wouldnt beat an afl footballer who trains in many different aspects

These are the goal umpires results

Goal:

4km
David Dixon 15:36
Steven Axon 16:05
Daniel Wilson 16:24
James Savage 16:31
Ante Perkovic 16:39

Beep Test (Level Obtained)

David Dixon 14.0
James Savage 13.2
Peter Nastasi 12.8
Dale Edwick 12.7
Steve Stirling 12.5

following on (results http://afl.com.au/InternationalCupNews/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=55011)

these are the min stds for umpires in the AFL

Field umpires must run 4km in a time of 14:35mins or better, 5 x 1km at an average of 3:25 mins or better per 1km with a 6min break in between each 1km run, and 10 x 80m at an average of 13 seconds or better with 25 seconds recovery between each 80m sprint.

Boundary umpires must run 10km in 39:00 mins or better, 4km in 14:10mins or better, and 5 x 1km at an average of 3:25mins or better with a 3 minute recovery between each 1km.

Goal umpires must run 4km in a time of 18:30 mins or better, must obtain Level 10 or higher in the beep test and average a time of 25 seconds or better over 3 runs in an agility test.

results

Remove this Banner Ad

Back