The BigFooty Liverpool Army

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alonso, Mash and Torres were more due to Hicks and Gillett rather than FSG to be fair. Torres is the only then had a chance to save but he was too disillusioned by the time they took over. Hindsight shows we were smart to sell him when we did.

Yes but the trend is there for all to see - we continually lose our best players. We can try to rationalise it as much as we like, or pretend that it didn't/doesn't matter, but it's fact. Even Gerrard nearly left at least once; we're just lucky he didn't.

So what is the common denominator here? The club's lack of ambition.

Our pockets aren't as deep as others as well unfortunately :|

No, but we are clearly trying to do everything on the cheap, looking for "value", haggling over relatively minute amounts and being tightarses over wages/transfers but scared to take any sort of calculated risk. We try to portray ourselves as this massive global brand (and we might be) but we don't show the ambition to match. We are happy to just sit around the fringes, buying speculative talent and decent squad fillers who will keep us afloat but not push us over the edge. We are going to lose Sterling, then eventually Ibe (if he turns out any good) and on it will go.

We should be demanding better.

Our pockets aren't deep - but we can spend 20 million on a centre back while shipping out a top class one on the free to Denmark, and we can spend 20 million on a rough diamond winger who could be great but isn't near it right now, and was actually shown up and had his spot taken by a 19 year old academy product.

Our pockets aren't deep - but we can spend 20 million on a centre back while shipping out a top class one on the free to Denmark, and we can spend 20 million on a rough diamond winger who could be great but isn't near it right now, and was actually shown up and had his spot taken by a 19 year old academy product.

Which was largely funded by selling a player for 70 million in the first instance.

Wouldn't call Agger top class when he left.

Ibe is better.
If Ibe was fit (and Studge of course), Raheem could well be dropped. He still might be if BR is annoyed by Raheem's underwhelming assessment of their relationship and, of course, the 'flattered by Arsenal' stuff (we're about to play them in a must-win game FFS).

But I expect Brendan, ever the player's friend, will say "Raheem wants to win trophies and so do I, so we're going to do our best to achieve that and look at the contract at the end of the year". If Sterling starts up forward he should be feeling the pressure to play out of his skin.
We received the most revenue from the FA of any Premier League team last season m80 - just shy of 100 million.
According to this, we got the most money for having the most live matches in the UK, so we overtook City's extra league-winning money by 1.1M (we did finish 2nd remember). So at the risk of further "baiting" by talking about Liverpool's finances, you could look at FSG's original transfer outlays, inheritance of debt and plans for the stadium change alongside not-so-extraordinarily-generous sponsorship deals, benefactors, or potential wink-wink agreements with clubs like NY City and Melb City for future pay-days (I am a Carlton fan, so you can see how I might make that link when looking at City buying clubs across the world). You can see why we can't pay the same amount as other people.

As I wrote before all the crap of 2 pages ago, FSG do intend to run LFC as a proper business. i.e. Not losing money on their investment. Dropping the wage bill was a key desire when they came in, and having performance-based pay a key desire for current contracts. It may well mean we never attract the big, big names and instead have to develop them but I'd rather stability in the club finances than risking our long-term viability as a major team due to a player or four who have a decent chance of turning out to be underwhelming anyway.

If he was fit, Raheem would be dropped. He still might be if BR is annoyed by Raheem's underwhelming assessment of their relationship and, of course, the 'flattered by Arsenal' stuff (we're about to play them in a must-win game FFS).

But I expect Brendan, ever the player's friend, will say "Raheem wants to win trophies and so do I, so we're going to do our best to achieve that and look at the contract at the end of the year". If Sterling starts up forward he should be feeling the pressure to play out of his skin.

From the FA? According to this it was more like 100M pounds. We got the most money for having the most live matches in the UK, so we overtook City's extra league-winning money (we did finish 2nd remember). So at the risk of further "baiting" by talking about Liverpool's finances, you could look at FSG's original transfer outlays, inheritance of debt and plans for the stadium change alongside not so extraordinarily generous sponsorship deals, benefactors, or potential wink-wink agreements with clubs like NY City and Melb City for future pay-days, and you can see why we can't pay the same amount as other people. As I wrote before all the crap of 2 pages ago, FSG do intend to run LFC as a proper business. i.e. Not losing money on their investment. Dropping the wage bill was a key desire when they came in, and having performance based pay a key desire for current contracts. It may well mean we never attract the big, big names and instead have to develop them but I'd rather stability in the club finances than risking our long-term viability as a major team, due to a player or four who have a decent chance of turning out to be underwhelming anyway...
I was posting that under the impression the FA gets the money for the rights and filters it through to the teams based on merit (league position) and other factors. I did say 'just shy of 100m' which was correct, no?

A major team? What does that mean? Let's face it, either you're in the elite bracket of top 4, Champion League consistantly, or you're upper mid table could be's, like Tottenham. Never quite there and thus never really challenging and never able to attract and retain talent world class talent, who will look elsewhere, and the cycle carries on perpetually. Not that our expectations of the team will stoop that low - so in expecting CL and to challenge every season we will be forever disappointed as a formerly great club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not it wasn't.

So we spent 117 million on a whim? Take out the funds generated by sales at it's a net transfer spend of 38 million which is closer to the mark of our previous windows.

I was posting that under the impression the FA gets the money for the rights and filters it through to the teams based on merit (league position) and other factors. I did say 'just shy of 100m' which was correct, no?
Yep, I saw the "m80" and didn't fully take in the rest of the sentence. Apologies. I edited it, but not before you'd started responding.
A major team? What does that mean? Let's face it, either you're in the elite bracket of top 4, Champion League consistantly, or you're upper mid table could be's, like Tottenham. Never quite there and thus never really challenging and never able to attract and retain talent world class talent, who will look elsewhere, and the cycle carries on perpetually. Not that our expectations of the team will stoop that low - so in expecting CL and to challenge every season we will be forever disappointed as a formerly great club.
Major team would mean UCL, yes. It's unsurprising that there's competition for that, though, so it really should be more than 4 clubs, even if realistically less clubs can afford to be that ambitious. I think we're following Arsene's and Arsenal's model of buying young players and having a playing style that will attract players and fans. Stadium upgrading is also similar. The X factor is the stats-expertise that FSG had such success with at the Red Sox. Do they have a secret sauce, or will there sensible approach to valuations fail because you have others out there that are splashing the cash. Given their public statements, I think it's fair to say FSG thought the FFP regulations would be harsher. Maybe it will be eventually. We've bought a lot of English players too, as FIFA/UEFA/whoevA made noises about teams having to develop players and reflecting their local area... The strength of the major teams buying power may stop those thought bubbles ever truly taking hold, but LFC is one of those major teams due to our huge following.

Yep, I saw the "m80" and didn't fully take in the rest of the sentence. Apologies. I edited it, but not before you'd started responding.

Major team would mean UCL, yes. It's unsurprising that there's competition for that, though, so it really should be more than 4 clubs, even if realistically less clubs can afford to be that ambitious. I think we're following Arsene's and Arsenal's model of buying young players and having a playing style that will attract players and fans. Stadium upgrading is also similar. The X factor is the stats-expertise that FSG had such success with at the Red Sox. Do they have a secret sauce, or will there sensible approach to valuations fail because you have others out there that are splashing the cash. Given their public statements, I think it's fair to say FSG thought the FFP regulations would be harsher. Maybe it will be eventually. We've bought a lot of English players too, as FIFA/UEFA/whoevA made noises about teams having to develop players and reflecting their local area... The strength of the major teams buying power may stop those thought bubbles ever truly taking hold, but LFC is one of those major teams due to our huge following.
It's frustrating Ratts. I look at it like we're going to be stuck in a perpetual cycle of buying potential greats, developing them, and selling them for a profit as we/they peak. Maybe we'll get lucky and win an FA Cup sometime. But I feel like we'll never really challenge for titles or consistant 2nd, 3rd, 4th place.

It felt especially like this after Suarez left.

It's frustrating Ratts. I look at it like we're going to be stuck in a perpetual cycle of buying potential greats, developing them, and selling them for a profit as we/they peak. Maybe we'll get lucky and win an FA Cup sometime. But I feel like we'll never really challenge for titles or consistant 2nd, 3rd, 4th place.

It felt especially like this after Suarez left.
I think we don't need to be that down about it. Gerrard said about BR that he wished he'd met him earlier in his career. He's only leaving because BR said he wouldn't be automatically in the first team anymore. Sterling was always a huge prospect and has had some bad transfer windows in his time (when we didn't get a back-up for Suarez; and when we missed out on Sanchez and Balotelli was our replacement for Suarez) and so maybe his disillusion is a little bit warranted, but given his age maybe he just wants to get back to London or get the big-time move to Madrid or whoever.

We finished 2nd last season and only missed first by an unforced error that led to a goal (Stevie or Kolo or whoever). The team is young, and if people 'believe in the project' they won't leave as quick as Sterling seems to want to. That's why I mentioned what Stevie said about BR. If young players get better and we play good-looking attacking football which a proper finisher can thrive on, we should attract big names and make our way back to the top.

If young players get better and we play good-looking attacking football which a proper finisher can thrive on, we should attract big names and make our way back to the top.
Sorry to cut out the rest of your post, but this we did last year! I mean we still have it this year too but it came too late. Good, attacking football, a finisher (Sturridge) but we didn't get the big names the window after we secured CL.

I don't know, last year was awesome and a total surprise, but in hindsight seems a bit charmed and flukey. If Sterling, an academy product since age 15(?) has already become disillusioned with the future plan, I just don't know how we're going to convince anyone else.

CBkmVmVW4AAVE2c.jpg:large

Sterling still has 2 years to go on his contract so if Bayern or anyone else for that matter really want him then they need to give us 50m+. As for the man himself he really has not been covering himself in glory this season and I don't buy for one second he would of signed a deal for significantly less last season as it would of been very foolish to do so considering he had 3 years left on his contract plus not to mention he was coming into some very good form after his atrocious start. At the end of the day he is not worth anything over 100k a week based on his production especially as a winger where he will play the majority of his football so I am totally with the club on this issue.

On to Arsenal this weekend I know we always play like s**t at the Emirates plus not to mention we love wasting countless chances there and I very much expect the same to occur. I can't stomach the thought of Giroud scoring against us again as he is a flat track bully. Hopefully Mertesacker plays instead of Gabriel since we can exploit his lack of his pace. I will predict a 2-1 win to them thus ending our top 4 hopes.

If Sterling, an academy product since age 15(?) has already become disillusioned with the future plan, I just don't know how we're going to convince anyone else.

That right there is the crux of the whole problem.

We will blame Sterling for being greedy, when the sad reality is that he is simply more ambitious than one of the world's biggest clubs.

Sorry to cut out the rest of your post, but this we did last year! I mean we still have it this year too but it came too late. Good, attacking football, a finisher (Sturridge) but we didn't get the big names the window after we secured CL
I think we bought well, but the Lallana-Lambert connection didn't happen for whatever reason so we look short on finishers. And don't worry about not quoting the whole post - that is what everyone should do, if they are only responding to a bit of it.
If Sterling, an academy product since age 15(?) has already become disillusioned with the future plan, I just don't know how we're going to convince anyone else.
That right there is the crux of the whole problem.

We will blame Sterling for being greedy, when the sad reality is that he is simply more ambitious than one of the world's biggest clubs.
Sterling isn't strictly an "academy product" in that we bought him from QPR's academy and he made his debut 2 years and 1 month later. Perhaps because he was highly-rated from a young age, he's always done his own thing (remember he was already talking back to BR in 'Being Liverpool'). On balance, he is just doing a Suarez - talking up the Arsenal connection to get one of the big teams in Europe coming in for him. Suarez always wanted to go to Barca, and for whatever reason, Sterling believes the hype and thinks he should too. I don't think it's indicative of how most of the players feel about the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back