Review The good, the bad, the shat - vs Fremantle R3 2024

How many games will we win from our first 10?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Need to have Soligo at every stoppage he’s our player who can get around tackles and take the ball from inside to outside. The rest are way too predictable, laird/crouch will handball, Dawson will slam it on the boot. Rankine/Rachele will look to run off their opponent. No wonder we can’t score.

Keays has been the least of our worries this year. There have been more highly skilled players missing more targets than Keays.

I think in general we've got a decent skilled team.

Dawson, Rankine, Tex, Fogarty, Soligo, Michalaney, Milera, Jones, Rachele, Worrell, Sholl, Hinge and Keane are all from good to elite field kicks normally.

Laird and Crouch are okay knowing their limitations. Same with Borlase and Butts. So long as they stay within their limitations they're okay.

McHenry, Smith and Pedlar are hit and miss. Murphy average and Keays poor. I would be weeding out this group except for Pedlar.
That’s the whole point though. Players will have a slump, players like Keays need to step up but he is still as useless as ever.
To put it in perspective he has had 38 disposals this year and had 15 turnovers. Dawson has had 79 disposals and 19 turnovers.
Dawson is playing like s**t, it would be nice if players he’s been carrying would help him out a bit. The amount of times Keays is not under pressure and delivers into the forward 50 only to miss the target by metres is embarrassing. While Spuds like Keays are in the side potential young guns aren’t.

This is damming. This crap it’s our inexperience. Our senior players panic more than the kids.

Go in board you *ers.

The assumption though is guys in those clips are doing something wrong. Nearly every time it's go wide to get near the boundary line before going forward, that seems like clear coaching to me.

The assumption though is guys in those clips are doing something wrong. Nearly every time it's go wide to get near the boundary line before going forward, that seems like clear coaching to me.
Kick to laird and Crouch is fine, but where has the run gone to get the handball receive? It was non existent. Something has seriously gone awry in the off-season

fwiw I thought there was actually some good signs in that game against Freo.
For context, I didn't see any of it live and I only got to listen in on radio in the last term when they started belting us and so I listened for a few minutes and turned it off. When I saw my Crows mate on Sunday he said it was a horrendous game by us, one of our all time worst and so I watched it on the AFL website with that expectation in mind.

The good signs were things like we started with a lot more variety in how we exit from points, not 80% long to the right flank.
We also got a lot better at switching it up coming out of defense and that helped a lot.
There was a lot less of the ball getting over the back from aerial competitions which was another thing we have been terrible at.

In the first half we had a lot of control of the game. What killed us was the mistakes that you wouldn't expect amateur league D graders to make. So those should be pretty easy to fix. If we hadn't of done those we could have rightfully gone in at half time expecting to be at least three goals up, possibly as many as six.
Another problem is people trying to do too much instead of just using up free team mates. Rachele is the poster child for this, Laird and Crouch pretty bad too.

In the second half Freo were much more conscious of keeping a lot of players in our D50. What we needed to do was then get used to moving it around the arc, do a switch play like we were in defense, we need to do this because otherwise we're too predictable and they oppo defenders know the ball is going to come in from the spot where the kicker is, if we do the switch they never know if the next marker is gonna turn and switch or bring it in to the 50 and so this makes them more two minded.

There was some bad long kicking that was hurting us as well, Milera was one of the worst offenders, watch the replay, the amount of times he ignores a free shorter option for a long kick which looks at best 50/50 but I think we lost nearly all of them.

not saying we'll get a win, just saying that there were a lot of good signs, clean up a bit of the midfield exits and use a bit of variety around the contests and we'll be back playing an ok gameplan.

The Lynch sub incident in 2021 was an indictment on the professionalism of this club, and it would appear we haven't learned anything.

I still don’t understand why people think that was a bad call.

Players get a jab to play every week. What’s the difference if a sub does it?

50,000 other things to have a go at the club over, that ain’t one.

The fact it took ages (at least 10-20 minutes from memory) for him to get on the field after the decision had been made (in a game we lost by less than a goal).

Or maybe the fact he played horribly, was clearly injured, and had to get surgery four whole days later.

The obvious answer is that you don’t know when to give a jab to the sub, because you don’t know when he’s needed

A guy who needs one to play is not suitable to be sub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One big reason is that painkiller injections insert a massive variable in the recovery process, possibly exacerbating an injury prolonging the recovery from it. It's normally not worth the risk early in the season.

If it's Grand Final day it doesn't matter if you wake up the next morning with your 1-week calf strain turned into a 4 week injury

One big reason is that painkiller injections insert a massive variable in the recovery process, possibly exacerbating an injury prolonging the recovery from it. It's normally not worth the risk early in the season.

If it's Grand Final day it doesn't matter if you wake up the next morning with your 1-week calf strain turned into a 4 week injury

That’s an argument about jabbing at all though; not whether a player needing a jab to play should be the sub.

The obvious answer is that you don’t know when to give a jab to the sub, because you don’t know when he’s needed

A guy who needs one to play is not suitable to be sub

He/she gets a jab and they come on a few minutes later.

Subs were only for injury back then too, so was a chance the sub didn’t play and we wasted a young guy sitting on the bench and missing a game entirely.

Back