Review The good, the bad, the shat - vs Fremantle R3 2024

How many games will we win from our first 10?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nicks in his press conference immediately blamed the players form, skill, execution, confidence and decision making. Nothing on his game plan

Thought we were in the game to 3 quarter time

Absolutely clueless
When players continually miss uncontested 15 metre kicks and 5 metre handballs what are the chances of them executing the coaches game plan. It’s like he’s coaching the 2020 team again

Good:
Above Average: Keane, O'Brien, Crouch
Average: Scholl, Burgess, Dawson
Below Average: Borlase, McHenry, Michalaney, Keays, Milera, Hinge, Worrell, Soligo, Smith
Bad: Laird, Rachele, Fogarty, Jones, Rankine, Walker, Murphy, Pedlar

When players continually miss uncontested 15 metre kicks and 5 metre handballs what are the chances of them executing the coaches game plan. It’s like he’s coaching the 2020 team again
They can't execute the game plan because they don't know what it is. They're running around like headless chooks stuffing everything up because they have no idea what they should be doing and have no confidence what they are doing is correct

I'm gonna make an appearance.

I'm sitting there watching and I'm not even angry. Just so use to failure at this point it's basically "meh". Nothings different than the last 6-7 years.

I signed up for the first time since 2019 as I genuinely thought there might be some hope. Lol.

They can't execute the game plan because they don't know what it is. They're running around like headless chooks stuffing everything up because they have no idea what they should be doing and have no confidence what they are doing is correct
There’s definite confusion out there. We will eventually work it out, the problem is by the time we do we’ll be chasing our tales and it will be too late

Good: Backline was solid and probably prevented a 60+ drubbing (especially if Freo kicked straight).
Bad: Umpiring both ways was awful, woeful skills both sides made it unbearable to watch if you were a neutral, let alone a Crows supporter.
Ugly: Everything and everyone else

Special: Sack Nicks

Good: Soligo got some centre bounce action, Keane played pretty well, Michalanney had some decent moments.

Bad: Smith is still struggling, Walker is moving like he's back to his cooked 2020 self, Sloane will inevitably be back in next week for that experience.

Shat: Hinge and Dawson are kicking even worse, we have no cohesion, the forward line is a rabble (0.2 from 16 entries in the last quarter), we lost the tackle count by 20.

???: Burgess (1.2) outscored Rankine, Walker, Fogarty and Rachele combined (0.4).

There is a lot of smoke around tonight’s game, particularly involving the coach and game plan etc, however when you dissect it honestly, we were anihalated through the midfield both with talent and speed. Our defense tried hard and held their own really and our forwards had only 11 inside 50’s between the 5 minute mark of the first quarter and half time when Freo should have put us away. Here is an honest analysis of the 2 starting midfields.

Luke Jackson traded in for 2 x 1st rounders and a 2nd rounder (originally pick no. 3)
Caleb Serong pick no. 8
Andrew Brayshaw pick no. 2
Hayden Young pick no. 7

ROB rookie draft
Laird rookie draft
Crouch pick no. 23
Dawson traded in for pick 20 in ‘21 draft (as a half back originally pick 56)

This shows not only what we already know, that our midfield just isn’t anywhere near good enough, but how little our club actually rates the midfield. In the last 10 years we have not drafted a single player in the first round that either plays in the AFL midfield, or is good enough to be an AFL starting mid.

Smith, Milera - half backs
McAsey, Lever, Doedee, Curtin - tall defenders
Jones, McHenry, Gallucci - small, slow (half forwards?)
Fogarty, Tillthorpe - key forward
Rachelle, Pedlar - small forwards
Rankine - pick 5 - small forward

Whether or not you you judge this group as an indictment of our recruiting staff ( I personally can’t believe they are still there) but it simply can’t be argued that we have ignored the midfield while other rebuilding sides haven’t, and I personally don’t believe we have a good enough list to come out of this rebuild successfully.

Nicks talked about not doing things that have been the Crows' strengths "for a number of years".
What the actual ...? "YearS", plural??

Then added: "We had our opportunities and didn't take them.... I'd probably look more at the lack of, sort of, cohesion we have at the moment, which is something that we have had at a high level, the last couple of years...".
Nicksy:
2022, 14th.
2023, 10th <== on the back of Walker's best year, 76 goals and AA. Walker and Dawson were the Crows' strengths last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The good:
Keane, Max, Worrell, some more Soligo glimpses
I can think of one more "good", early, in a loss of not-many good things.
Before Burgess kicked to Tex, to Rachele, to Keays for the first goal, Keays was level with Burgess on the far wing.

Keays ran about 70m at full pelt to get himself on the end of that chain.

I can think of one more "good", early, in a loss of not-many good things.
Before Burgess kicked to Tex, to Rachele, to Keays for the first goal, Keays was level with Burgess on the far wing.

Keays ran about 70m at full pelt to get himself on the end of that chain.
Even the kick to Keays by Rash was woeful I can’t believe how bad our field kicking has become, and under no pressure just turning the ball over.

That goal we got lucky not to turn it over

Here’s some ‘shat’ for you, anyone have the unfortunate pleasure of catching the FiveAA post-game? Given Campo refused to bless listeners with his nasally monotone hindsight driven dross due to it being Good Friday they ended up retrieving Graham Cornes from the FiveAA crypt and had him delivering sermons from the pulpit.

Unsurprisingly here’s a summation of how it went…

IMG_3312.jpeg

A totally disinterested Stephen Rowe in the background who had obviously got into an argument with FiveAA management after he was forced to work despite his religious beliefs (and wanting to fish instead) also highlighting the current state of Adelaide media that’s apparently covering, providing analysis & asking questions of this Football Club.

Nicks: "It's still early in the season ... there are some very, very good sides that are sitting at a similar record ...".

:drunk: ... he surely cannot think we're one of them?
Who are these "very good teams"? North or Richmond? I doubt it. Brisbane? Great last year, but a very good side would've played more than the three whole good quarters they've played this year (and that's still two more than us).

Was at the game and the whole "need to defend to minimise being scored heavily against" has screwed the game plan. Ball movement is so slow.

We played the left side of the ground constantly. But our fumbles, ball handling and decision making is horrible.

POSITIVES

Dowling, Nankervis and Edwards looked good in the SANFL

Defense:
Max, Keane, Warrell and Borlase were all good tonight, Max and Keane best. Milera and Smith were good for the most part, so sad seeing Milera out for season.

Centre:
Soligo should be leading in CBA along with Crouch. Scholl whilst weak was solid on the left wing.

Forward:
Burgess has been good, he competes well.

BAD
Hinge - only OK, no where near his 2023 level

Jones - we hardly played on the right side wing, I thought he was actually OK but the team ever went down his wing.

FOG and Tex - both doing a lot of double grabs that is hurting them. BUT the slow midfield play is killing these guys. Tex isn't 100%
Rankine and Rachelle - not enough from both and need to play more midfield

UGLY
Laird - needs to go back to HF or SANFL, he is offering nothing

McHenry - tried too much, needs to be sub

Pedlar - needs a spell in SANFL

Murphy - same as Peds

Keays- not offering enough and playing selfish dumb footy

Nicks wont select all of Dowling, Nankervis and Edwards although he should

Was at the game and the whole "need to defend to minimise being scored heavily against" has screwed the game plan. Ball movement is so slow.

We played the left side of the ground constantly. But our fumbles, ball handling and decision making is horrible.

POSITIVES

Dowling, Nankervis and Edwards looked good in the SANFL

Defense:
Max, Keane, Warrell and Borlase were all good tonight, Max and Keane best. Milera and Smith were good for the most part, so sad seeing Milera out for season.

Centre:
Soligo should be leading in CBA along with Crouch. Scholl whilst weak was solid on the left wing.

Forward:
Burgess has been good, he competes well.

BAD
Hinge - only OK, no where near his 2023 level

Jones - we hardly played on the right side wing, I thought he was actually OK but the team ever went down his wing.

FOG and Tex - both doing a lot of double grabs that is hurting them. BUT the slow midfield play is killing these guys. Tex isn't 100%
Rankine and Rachelle - not enough from both and need to play more midfield

UGLY
Laird - needs to go back to HF or SANFL, he is offering nothing

McHenry - tried too much, needs to be sub

Pedlar - needs a spell in SANFL

Murphy - same as Peds

Keays- not offering enough and playing selfish dumb footy

Nicks wont select all of Dowling, Nankervis and Edwards although he should
I was there too. You’re being generous to Hinge. He was one of the main culprits missing targets all night.

Back