Review The good, the bad, the shat - vs Fremantle R3 2024

How many games will we win from our first 10?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Here is what Nicks values in a player. Not achievement, not impact, not game-influencing skills and execution.
He values scrappy triers.

Nicks, on Keane: "He makes some mistakes but we embrace those, we just love the ways he goes about it, he's a competitor, he's one that is playing some good footy for us ...". [my emphasis]

I like Keane and to be fair he's played less than 20 games of AFL in his life, so I can forgive him his mistakes.
But "embrace" them? Yeah/nah.
Other "competitors":
Murphy
McHenry
Jones
all with negligible impact this year.

Here is what Nicks values in a player. Not achievement, not impact, not game-influencing skills and execution.

Nicks, on Keane: "He makes some mistakes but we embrace those, we just love the ways he goes about it, he's a competitor, he's one that is playing some good footy for us ...". [my emphasis]

I like Keane and to be fair he's played less than 20 games of AFL in his life, so I can forgive him his mistakes.
Other "competitors":
Murphy
McHenry
Jones
Nicks was a scrappy tryer. He values players like himself. Fmd he's an idiot.

Other "competitors":
Murphy
McHenry
Jones
Jones became more than just a "competitor" last year.

I can't believe there are people defending the club. We have literally only played 3 reasonably good quarters this year. And sadly each one was in a separate game. So its not like we are having trouble stringing quarters together like playing 2 to 3 good quarters a game and then sleeping in periods which are costing matches. We aren't even doing that. The players aren't motivated. They aren't playing to their natural talents and at times they were clearly jogging after their opponents. Last year we broke at speed from packs, this year we literally have no outside run as players seem intent on letting the next player get the ball.

I seriously can not think of a single player who has won their position at all this year, I can think of many positives, like a young player getting game time. Borlase and Keane are probably the two. Both defenders. No forwards, no midfielders.

This is not a player problem, its a coach problem.

Here’s some ‘shat’ for you, anyone have the unfortunate pleasure of catching the FiveAA post-game? Given Campo refused to bless listeners with his nasally monotone hindsight driven dross due to it being Good Friday they ended up retrieving Graham Cornes from the FiveAA crypt and had him delivering sermons from the pulpit.

Unsurprisingly here’s a summation of how it went…

View attachment 1943532

A totally disinterested Stephen Rowe in the background who had obviously got into an argument with FiveAA management after he was forced to work despite his religious beliefs (and wanting to fish instead) also highlighting the current state of Adelaide media that’s apparently covering, providing analysis & asking questions of this Football Club.

Cornes was genuinely making me feel ill after the call, partly because I was nursing a raging hangover this morning as well...

Basically scoffed at anyone who suggested Nicks needed to go as if they were someone that was dragged from an insane asylum. Secondly his comments about 'other teams just having more talnet' was literally the biggest ******* copout ever. Because, it's either true and if it is, the entire recruitment staff need to be sacked now as well because we;ve been in the ******* bottom 8 since 2018 for christs sake or it's not true and Nicks still needs to be sacked.

I was there too. You’re being generous to Hinge. He was one of the main culprits missing targets all night.
Possibly rose coloured with him

BUT, I am totally lost as to how our players have collectively turned to shite with their disposal.

Dawson right now is a shdow of himself, not busting through, horrible execution and decision making. Same with Hinge

Jones became more than just a "competitor" last year.
Yep, but I said:
"
Other "competitors":
Murphy
McHenry
Jones
all with negligible impact this year."

This year.
2024, and Jones struggled for effectiveness for 3 years before 2023 (ignoring 2019, rookie year).

Possibly rose coloured with him

BUT, I am totally lost as to how our players have collectively turned to shite with their disposal.

Dawson right now is a shdow of himself, not busting through, horrible execution and decision making. Same with Hinge
There is zero overlap run happening - clearly an instruction to players to man up even when we have the ball.

With no overlap run, you don’t have runners drawing opposition players away from the contest and giving the ball carrier a bit of space to execute.

Our disposal was woeful, so many horrible unforced turnovers.

But the lack of run off half back is killing us.

And it’s all due to s**t coaching / defensive game plan.

There is zero overlap run happening - clearly an instruction to players to man up even when we have the ball.

With no overlap run, you don’t have runners drawing opposition players away from the contest and giving the ball carrier a bit of space to execute.

Our disposal was woeful, so many horrible unforced turnovers.

But the lack of run off half back is killing us.

And it’s all due to s**t coaching / defensive game plan.
Absolutely, 2 bounces for an entire game. Nick's has a kick, mark, stop game going along with bomb it down the left wing.
This has destroyed the scoring ability of the side

Cornes was genuinely making me feel ill after the call, partly because I was nursing a raging hangover this morning as well...

Basically scoffed at anyone who suggested Nicks needed to go as if they were someone that was dragged from an insane asylum. Secondly his comments about 'other teams just having more talnet' was literally the biggest ******* copout ever. Because, it's either true and if it is, the entire recruitment staff need to be sacked now as well because we;ve been in the ******* bottom 8 since 2018 for christs sake or it's not true and Nicks still needs to be sacked.
Old mate *face would rather run cover for the Crows than risk hurting the feelings of any of the dickbags who've turned the club into a clown show since Blight's tenure.

Absolutely, 2 bounces for an entire game. Nick's has a kick, mark, stop game going along with bomb it down the left wing.
2 bounces. To be fair, it wasn’t perfect conditions for footy. My poor 12 year old son had to put his sweater on at 3/4 time because he was getting a little cold once the sun had set.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine changing the game plan in the off season to minimise our strengths and maximize our weaknesses

Because that's exactly what Nicks did

It's incomprehensible.

We've gone away from everything that was good about us last year.

And we're not even good at whatever the hell this crap is - a full pre season wasted.

GOOD:

Murphy was sub which is one step closer to him being out of the side. Had zero impact so fingers crossed Nicksy keeps him as sub and then he becomes our SANFL leader the rest of the year.

The external noise is going to get loud. Over the past 2 weeks - King, Cornes, Hodge, et al have gotten stuck into Nicks. There can be no excuses - our top 10 players from our B&F last year have all played all 3 games.

BAD & THE SHAT

The sad reality is there is no real help on the horizon. The 4 players we need to bring in have a combined 4 games experience (Nank, Dowling, Curtin, Edwards). Time to give Murphy/McHenry/Jones a spell to bring in 3 of em next week.

What was going to be our Achilles heal (KPD) we are actually managing through as Borlase and Keane have done a decent job in covering Murray and Butts.

We are a side completely devoid of confidence and it screams of us being figured out.

The fact we kicked 18 goals in round 3 of 2023 and in the first 3 rounds of 2024 have kicked a combined 23 goals is nothing short of astounding. If West Coast kick 53 points against the Doggies - we go from the highest scoring team in 2023 to the lowest scoring team through 3 weeks in 2024.

What is most astounding to me is the lack of use of Rachele in the midfield.

In 2023 in the first 3 rounds he attended 37 CBA's. In the first 3 rounds of 2024 he has attended 2.

2 bounces. To be fair, it wasn’t perfect conditions for footy. My poor 12 year old son had to put his sweater on at 3/4 time because he was getting a little cold once the sun had set.

Bounces have absolutely nothing to do with anything.

Last year we were bottom 4 in the AFL for bounces. In Round 3 last year when we kicked 18 goals for the game we had 1 bounce.

Our ball movement, confidence and run is shite. But bounces don't matter.

Hamish drafted duds

Jones an ok junior mid. But obviously, akin to the fat kid in u/12s who dominates and then fails once everyone else hits puberty I u/13s and onwards.

Hamish hasn't drafted any genuine talent in the first round since.

And hasn't drafted a genuine elite mid since Dangerfield.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hamish didn't draft dangerfield. Was Rendell.
r.i.p. good sir.

Other "competitors":
Murphy
McHenry
Jones

I mean, Keane nails more of his kicks than most of our team - his skills are good tbh.

Back