Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

No excuses here, Zimbabwe are terrible and haven't deserved test status for years. Try and defend them as staunchly as you can, there is no case for

At the moment Test status is entirely arbitrary, and there is no official way to decide whether a side is worthy of it or not.

Status itself is a silly thing that shouldn't have the kind of power it does in cricket.

It was also a slower process than you're making it out to be. Their team was it its peak around 2001. That's a decade after they were considered good enough to play Tests, and was essentially the second good era. The only reason the next era turned out bad in comparison was because of circumstances out of their control. How would our cricket fare if all our best players left, the sport lost all its money and its stucture got torn apart?

Look, I'm pretty over the whole finer details of where Mahmudulah came from. Point being he would not be in my team of the tournament.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Because making runs and having the second highest average at that point in time wasn't good enough for you?

Statistics don't always tell the whole story

Then how about his back-to-back tons against England and NZ?

Brendon McCullum isnt even in the top 20 for runs
Okay then. He was a mistake. Can you answer the point please?

Your point is he made two very well compiled hundreds.. Both hardly out of this world knocks. One barely a run a ball and the other in the mid 70s (strike rate). .

Why does the strike rate matter so much? He's been arguably the second best bat this tournament, behind Sangakkara. You're acting as if he's no where near the side.

Shades of Wasim Akram the other night with Wahab. That was a seriously nasty spell.

I have a bad feeling about the semi for some reason. Maybe it's just the prospect of losing to India that is too terrible to contemplate.

Not sure what to think about Kiwis v Proteas.

Shades of Wasim Akram the other night with Wahab. That was a seriously nasty spell.

I have a bad feeling about the semi for some reason. Maybe it's just the prospect of losing to India that is too terrible to contemplate.

Not sure what to think about Kiwis v Proteas.

Cricket needs a proper Pakistan team more than it needs the Wes Indies. 200,000,000 people and the yin to India's yang. That they've always produced such high quality bowlers (spin and quick) will help to lift the standard of cricket.

I've always found it odd that they constantly produce quicks of the highest class whereas India maybe produces a decent quick a generation (despite geographically there being no real difference between significantly large parts of the two countries - so it's not like it can all be about conditions).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cricket needs a proper Pakistan team more than it needs the Wes Indies. 200,000,000 people and the yin to India's yang. That they've always produced such high quality bowlers (spin and quick) will help to lift the standard of cricket.

I've always found it odd that they constantly produce quicks of the highest class whereas India maybe produces a decent quick a generation (despite geographically there being no real difference between significantly large parts of the two countries - so it's not like it can all be about conditions).
I think the game would be much better if both of Pakistan and West Indies were strong.

As for production of quicks- Pakistan is generally drier than India and in general, the wickets do tend to be marginally harder and less crumbly there than in India. Might be part of the reason.

I don't particularly get 'it' with arias > Akram comparison. It was fast and brutal, Akram was a swing king relying more through the air than genuine pace to create chances.

Trent Boult and Imran Tahir have both been the real wild cards this WC. Tahir had a reasonably good ODI record anyway but in a continent not completely conducive to spin he has done brilliantly.
As for Boult, he'd played 11 ODI's before this WC. )but a fair bit of test cricket) so was he going to have similar success in this level? The answer has been a resounding Yes! Genuine pace (mid 140's at times), swinging both ways, a very dangerous short ball. Haven't seen a great deal of NZ this WC but the one criticism of he/NZ is the lack of 'death overs' he bowls compared to guys like Starc and Shami. Probably put that down to immaturity in this game.

As for batsmen, Mahmudullah was a real surprise packet for the Deshi's as has Maxwell been for the Aussies. Both showing fighting qualities to get there teams out of a pickle and put up consistent numbers for the WC.

As an aside, did anyone see Alan Borders WC XI? He picked Kohli at 6 despite having 304 runs in 7 innings (hs of 107). Gotta laugh at something like this from an 'expert'.

The comparison probably isn't particularly valid from a technical point of view, but the image of a fired up Pakistani left armer inevitably invites the Akram comparison, because he could bowl seriously brutal, bouncer laden spells if you poked his bear, so to speak.

The comparison probably isn't particularly valid from a technical point of view, but the image of a fired up Pakistani left armer inevitably invites the Akram comparison, because he could bowl seriously brutal, bouncer laden spells if you poked his bear, so to speak.

He's got a pretty similar front on action. He strikes me as very similar (unlike the other left handed quicks that have played).

And Yoda, I remember Akram possessing a brutal short ball and bowling well into the 150s in the mid to late 90s.

He's got a pretty similar front on action. He strikes me as very similar (unlike the other left handed quicks that have played).

And Yoda, I remember Akram possessing a brutal short ball and bowling well into the 150s in the mid to late 90s.

The comparison of two fired up left armed Paki quicks does invite the Akram comparison but Wasim was a genius with ball in hand. Much more Pat Cummins than Mitchell Starc if that can be related to current day players.

Wasim could swing it either way and land it on a dime something even today's international with bar the absolute top echelon.

South Africa are going to be Duckwork Lewis'd out of this.

No way that any revised target would factor in the damage De Villiers is going to do in the last 10.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back