The Hangar Meat Head Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

A few questions to kick this off.

- In what way should a workout be structured for beginners?

- What should a healthy diet consist of so you can get the max out of weights and/or aerobic exercise?

I pretty much am only concerned with cardio stuff and try and achieve this through cycling. I would like to cycle more, but will struggle to find the time this year. I try and ride twice a week. There is no way I could body build as I am pretty much a midget. 178cm and about 65kg. Please don't bash me.

I had a mate at uni who used to compete in weightlifting. Not sure if he still does.

I'm anywhere between 184 and 187cm. When I started lifting weights, I was 60kg.

I'm now 95.

Also, the current "champion" of bodybuilding, Jay Cutler, is 175 cm. You're practically set. :thumbsu:

Sweet. :thumbsu: However, I more strive to be in the mold of professional cyclists who are about my size, but with more muscle and insane cardio endurance.

Nothing wrong with that.

Lance Armstrong is a freak, and his body is pretty decent, just quietly.

I know I said no "no homo"s are needed, but I should clarify here that I'm "no homo". Have been in a relationship (with a girl) for nearly 4 years. (Just thought I should nip that one in the butt now. :D)

No doubt. I have read that he has such a low heart rate that when he gets up in the morning he is liable to feint. :eek:

He has a resting heart rate of 32-34 beats per minute (bpm) with a maximum heart rate of 201 bpm.[12]

However, the kings of cardio and the like are the dudes who do cross-country skiing. :thumbsu:

Bjørn Dæhlie has allegedly the highest score in a VO2 max test of 96 ml/kg/min. The test was taken off season. According to the test administrator, physiologist Erlend Hem, it is likely that Dæhlie would have surpassed 100 ml/kg/min had the test been taken mid-season.

I really don't think this thr...

Right.

3972dceb.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To start out, 2-3 days a week of weight training would definitely suffice. It's entirely up to you whether you want to use all of those days for a program like I have suggested above, or whether you'd want to have something like this:

Day 1 (i.e Monday): Chest and Triceps
Day 2: (i.e Wednesday): Back and Biceps
Day 3 (i.e Friday): Shoulders and Legs

awesome, I started hitting the gym and the weights about a month ago, and this is exactly my program. Working out with my business partner who is a pretty strong and muscly prick, which helps given I'm a complete n00b.

We run on the alternative days. TBH, I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it. The endorphins after a work out are sensational, and I'm just, just starting to see results, which certainly doesn't hurt the enjoyment! :D

Day 1 (i.e Monday): Chest and Triceps
Day 2: (i.e Wednesday): Back and Biceps
Day 3 (i.e Friday): Shoulders and Legs.

Just as an example, what specifically would one of these sessions consist of? When I use the gym, it's primarily focussed on getting my right leg back up to scratch, so I do the same program every time:

• 20mins cardio (was bike, but I'll start jogging once I get back there)
  • Leg press (2x15 both legs, 3x10 right leg)
  • Hamstring curl (2x15 both legs, 3x10 right leg)
  • Lat pull down (3x10-15)
  • Bicep curl (3x10-15)
  • Bench press (3x8-10)
  • Medicine ball sit-ups (40-60) (that is, 1 sit-up with the medicine ball, then throw to partner, 1 sit-up without, rinse, repeat)
All of that takes about 50 minutes to an hour (in a pretty much empty gym, obviously more when crowded), and that's a pretty basic all-round workout. How long do you spend on a focussed workout?

It depends on each lifter and what they want to accomplish, but for me, I spend approximately the following amount of time:

Day 1 (Chest/Core): 60-90 minutes (varies)
Day 3 (Biceps/Triceps/Forearms): 70-90 minutes
Day 5 (Shoulders/Legs): 45-60 minutes
Day 7 (Back): 45-60 minutes.

So the overall time isn't too much different to that of a full-body workout. Of course the more you've trained, the more your body can adapt to. So there's no real need for somebody starting out (not saying you, but just any person) to spend ^^^ that much time in the gym.

I can give you a rundown of my program when I find time, probably tomorrow, if you want.

Hope that's what you were asking?

Yeah, that'd be great. :thumbsu:

What I'm getting at is how much can you focus on one particular area before the exercises become redundant and you're repeating yourself (in a single session I mean).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back