Injury The Injury/Suspension List – 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolutely must appeal this – clearly going for the ball.

Not content with wiping out the tackle, spoils are on the agenda now. Mark of the Year is going to be pretty dull soon when you can't put your knees into someone's shoulder/head, which is far more dangerous than what JVR did here.

Good chance of getting that downgraded to a fine IMO. How can it be high impact, when Charlie was uninjured.
Agree on the impact. With potential neck injuries there are always zero risks taken. Yes the player was stretchered off, but that should be irrelevant. The doctor's report is what matters, not how conservative the medicos were when they didn't know what they were dealing with.

I also think you can argue it wasn't a strike. The contact is clearly with the bicep, then the body. There is no swinging action, only forward momentum of JvR's entire body and outstretched arm. That would be charging or rough conduct, not striking. I don't know if that makes a difference to penalty, but it should. A strike is a very different thing to contact during a football act (i.e. trying to affect a spoil).

Caminiti got three weeks for deliberately striking someone, and accidentally hitting them in the head and concussing them.

JvR getting two for ultimately causing no injury of any significance while trying to spoil the ball. That doesn't seem right.

Fogarty and Lynch cases should both be brought up when we appeal this.

"The Demons are likely to use the tribunal’s decision to clear Richmond’s Tom Lynch of a three-game suspension for a similar incident against Western Bulldogs earlier in the season to bolster van Rooyen’s case."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Losers on the MB saying “hE tOoK hIs eYeS oFf ThE bAlL”.

Anyone who says that is an idiot who has never played football at any level and deserves an uppercut.

The thing is, I totally understand and agree with taking your eyes off the ball generally sees you give away a free kick. When it comes to looking after player welfare though it is FAR more dangerous NOT to take your eyes off the ball when running back with the flight. If JVR didn't look at him and changed his approach they could have both been severely concussed.

Good we're challenging. Coin toss if he gets off but at least we're having a crack
Yep. AFL are always going to bend the rules to suit whatever outcome they want but taking it to the tribunal shows that we’re backing a young player and his instinct to attack the footy.

You know what I don’t understand? The fact the AFL can give a ban to JVR for attempting a spoil with his eyes on the ball (which was clearly fair), make a big song and dance about protecting the head of players, and then let Patrick McCartin continue to play (for his second club) after receiving upwards of 10 concussions, the last of which was so innocuous that it’s very concerning and dangerous for his long term health.

They continue to punish the outcome, and not the action. It’s not right, nor is it fair. Banning him sends no message. None. In fact all it does is reduce the game to a non physical state whereby you basically need to let the player mark the ball and get an advantage without attempting to intervene in case something untoward happens.

It’s all matters of wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back