Autopsy The Massacre at the SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind the "it was only West Coast" chatter, and I think it's valid. We'd be saying the same thing about any other team if they scored 200 points against the Eagles.

But I hope it maybe fires the boys up. Imagine you go out and put in this dominant individual performance and everyone writes it off as a "doesn't count". Might give them a point to prove.

I get it was West Coast but the style of play changed a bit when transitioning into our forward 50. We as Horse put it 'The thing that stood out to us the most was making your teammate look better.' which I loved. We were actively looking for the best option rather than the best player. It's helpful to gain that confidence against west coast because it shows the players they'll be rewarded for that type of decision making.

The next step is doing it against better opposition under more pressure BUT it's good to see that approach occurring rather than just bombing it to an out number or our forwards running to the same spot.

I get it was West Coast but the style of play changed a bit when transitioning into our forward 50. We as Horse put it 'The thing that stood out to us the most was making your teammate look better.' which I loved. We were actively looking for the best option rather than the best player. It's helpful to gain that confidence against west coast because it shows the players they'll be rewarded for that type of decision making.

The next step is doing it against better opposition under more pressure BUT it's good to see that approach occurring rather than just bombing it to an out number or our forwards running to the same spot.
As someone said in the match thread (maybe in the MB?) the best defender that West Coast had was the Swans’ indecision, due to having so many plum options. That won’t be a factor for most remaining games this season.

Not to take anything away from your boys, but we definitely weren't giving it our all, despite the obvious...am so far beyond caring atm I could only laugh, tbh, and I've been an Eagles fan for 30 years. Actually wanted you guys to kick 200 for the heck of it, but anything that drives home that we need massive changes (if it wasn't obvious) is good. Anyway congrats, pardon the intrusion, sorry didn't mean to make it about us. Don't mind the Swannies this year, hope you're switched on vs Geelong and help keep them out of the 8.

Our attack was much more 3D in this game. Totally did WC head in.

Luke Parker is the #1 ranked player in the AFL over the last 4 weeks according to Champion Data. 1. LUKE PARKER (avg. 24 rating points) 2. Taylor Walker (avg. 23.4) 3. Zach Merrett (avg. 19.7) 4. Marcus Bontempelli (avg. 19.5) 5. James Rowbottom (avg. 19.3)

Love that description. 3D attack ha!

Seriously though, we could have the ideal 3 headed monster with Amartey/Mclean/Mcdonald all having complimentary skillsets. They haven't had luck with injury & opportunity at the moment.
I believe it created more space for Heeney to work in too. Hard to judge of course with WC as opponents but this week will tell us a lot more.

Not to take anything away from your boys, but we definitely weren't giving it our all, despite the obvious...am so far beyond caring atm I could only laugh, tbh, and I've been an Eagles fan for 30 years. Actually wanted you guys to kick 200 for the heck of it, but anything that drives home that we need massive changes (if it wasn't obvious) is good. Anyway congrats, pardon the intrusion, sorry didn't mean to make it about us. Don't mind the Swannies this year, hope you're switched on vs Geelong and help keep them out of the 8.
I really felt for the WC fans at the game and my heart went out to them as they trudged, heads down, out of the game - I hope none of our fans were rude or arrogant to them, god knows we've copped it enough over the years to know better.

I feel for Adam Simpson and it appears to me (and most people from what I read) that the problems run far deeper than just the coach.
For the fans sake, I hope they sort out the issues sooner rather than later, but unfortunately, it looks like a long hard road ahead.

Luke Parker is the #1 ranked player in the AFL over the last 4 weeks according to Champion Data. 1. LUKE PARKER (avg. 24 rating points) 2. Taylor Walker (avg. 23.4) 3. Zach Merrett (avg. 19.7) 4. Marcus Bontempelli (avg. 19.5) 5. James Rowbottom (avg. 19.3)
I think in commentary they said he was the 2nd highest ranked midfielder since Round 7

I think we witnessed the immediate future of the Club without Patrick McCartin, Sam Reid, and Lance Franklin. I know the opposition was particularly poor but the forward line looked so much better without Franklin who strangles the development of McDonald, McLean and Amartey. I think McLean has been particularly good in the last month and keeps getting better. Hickey looked like he was getting back to his best after his lengthy injury layoff. Our injury list is starting to get smaller and our seconds were competitive against Collingwood over the weekend. Hayward's last minute withdrawal was a shame as he has been a bit patchy with form this year and could have done with a hit out against the weaker opposition. Campbell, Gulden and Florent have been getting better each week and taking more responsibility from Lloyd, Parker, and Rampe. We have a tough road ahead with Geelong (SCG), Richmond (MCG), Bulldogs (SCG), Freo (Perth), Essendon (Docklands), GWS (Showgrounds), Gold Coast (SCG), Adelaide (AO), Melbourne (SCG). Not one easy game there and all against teams likely to be hungry for a finals spot. We need to win at least six of those to maybe be in the mix for a last gasp spot in the top eight.

I really felt for the WC fans at the game and my heart went out to them as they trudged, heads down, out of the game - I hope none of our fans were rude or arrogant to them, god knows we've copped it enough over the years to know better.

I feel for Adam Simpson and it appears to me (and most people from what I read) that the problems run far deeper than just the coach.
For the fans sake, I hope they sort out the issues sooner rather than later, but unfortunately, it looks like a long hard road ahead.
Oh Jewels - you really should attend a game over here at Optus.

I guarantee you won’t feel sympathy for West Coast fans thereafter!

Oh Jewels - you really should attend a game over here at Optus.

I guarantee you won’t feel sympathy for West Coast fans thereafter!
I actually did at Subiaco in 2006 and it was terrible - right up there with Crows fans at AAMI the following year.
I still felt terrible for them on Saturday though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaches votes;​

10 Errol Gulden (SYD)
8 Chad Warner (SYD)
6 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
2 James Rowbottom (SYD)
2 Luke Parker (SYD)
2 Tom Hickey (SYD)

Those rankings are pathetic

Fox clear BOG, not sure what the rest of you were watching.

Incredibly composed performance to sit on the bench for 3qtrs, avoiding getting drunk on gatorade and not smashing the phones whenever Horse called down. Surprised he didn't go next door and offer to provide us with some competition.

Definitely feel for the players...mostly the ones actually trying. Many of our youngsters put our senior players to shame. But even those that do put in effort - it's probably going to go unnoticed by most. Yeah coaches catch the most heat, not as if it's all Simmo's fault, but surely there are some things he can change. Do feel for him though. But yeah, these are the darkest days in our history, but it won't last forever.

Re-visiting the rankings for a laugh, with added hyperinflation.
Everyone starts at 0 and goes up incrementally; accounting for the entire game (i.e. most players average out to a 5 and below that doesn't necessarily mean a "bad" game. 10's are rare and not everyone can be a stand out.)

I Heeney 10/10 (12/10)
C Warner 10/10 (11/10)
E Gulden 10/10 (11/10)
L Parker 10/10
J Rowbottom 9/10
-
J McInerney 8/10
L McDonald 8/10
H McLean 8/10
N Blakey 7/10
A Sheldrick 7/10
T Papley 7/10
T Hickey 7/10
J Lloyd 7/10
-
B Campbell 6/10
O Florent 6/10
J Amartey 6/10
A Francis 5/10
C Mills 5/10 (s;o)
R Clarke 5/10
H Cunningham 5/10
-
R Fox 4/10 (s;i)
D Rampe 4/10
L Melican 3/10

I would usually post the opposition ones on the other board but that seems mean right now, so they're here instead:

L Shuey 7/10
-
E Yeo 6/10
T Kelly 5/10
J Petruccelle 5/10
-
T Barrass 4/10
D Sheed 4/10
J Darling 4/10
L Duggan 3/10
O Allen 3/10
-